Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Growing more & more concerned...  (Read 10326 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Growing more & more concerned...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2003, 11:38:23 PM »
Lezlee,

Best of luck with your exploratory scope.  Hopefully, it will be somewhat akin to removing a pebble from your shoe, in that you will get instant relief from having the problem addressed.

Take care.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 05:20:45 AM »
Lezlee:

I'm sending best wishes for a good surgery and great outcome. I don't care what the doctors say, sometimes we DO know when something is wrong! Good for you for attacking the problem. It sounds like you're in good hands. Don't feel guilty for anything, just lucky that you had an "in." When you are feeling up to it, let us know what he found.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2003, 07:07:02 AM »
Lezlee,
I am sooooo happy that you have found someone who will listen to you.  Unfortunate that surgery is involved but if something is wrong it's better sooner than later.  Don't feel guilty. If your original os had done his job you wouldn't be in this position.  I've been wearing an immobiliser/splint for 4wks now.  It's not much fun but it's the best way to give your knee a fighting chance to heal itself.  I strongly recommend getting a handle put on the wall in the toilet.  I have one that was already in the house and it has been invaluable in toiletting especially with a splint.  Also if you can't walk on crutches for a few days, get an office chair without arms.  They are very easy to maneouver and you can adjust the height for any purpose.
Good luck for your surgery.  Hope it goes well for you.  We'll be thinking of you.  ;)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2003, 07:23:23 AM »
Ozzybug,

I'm so glad you got that second opinion. Please post when you can and let us know what happens. I hope that this new OS can get you back on the road to recovery.  Are you planning on only seeing him or going back to the other OS for followup?

I had my first OS (the one in VA) tell me I was fine and it was atrophy that was causing all my problems. This was after my quad tendon repair that he failed to diagnose for four months.  I believed him as my quad was very very weak.  I came here to NC and continued to rehab getting nowhere.  I KNEW something wasn't right.  I found this board and a new OS. I had had patella baja the whole time and wasn't going to get better, my old OS was wrong and I was right when I thought things weren't right.  I found my new OS in Durham and just underwent another surgery (TTT) and also had the first OS's surgery redone because it was sloppy.  How nice, huh?  Good for you on being persistent  ;) I truly hope your surgery goes great and all your problems are addressed.  Better get your sis an extra Christmas gift this year....lol  ;D

Oh yeah, I'm in New Bern NC. My husband is stationed at Cherry Point.  My old OS was in Fredericksburg, VA.  I grew up there. Where are you in NC?

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Heather B.
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2003, 04:14:16 PM »
OK- Just had to stop by before heading to VA.  My head is killing me because by this time in the a.m., I have usually had my mocha w/and extra shop of espresso and at least 2 cigarettes by now, but a womoan's got to do what a woman's got to do!

I am in Kill Devil Hills, NC Heather.  I love the area, and so do the kids.

Well, I must get going, thank you all again, and ass soon as I am able to get back to the computer, I will let you guys know how it all went.

Have a great day all!!!!! ;D

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2003, 08:38:45 AM »
Hi Lezlee.
How was your surgery?  I've been thinking of you.  I hope it went well.  And I hope your recovery goes a little more to plan this time.  I look forward to hearing from you soon.   ;D 8)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2003, 01:02:21 AM »
 ;DHello All!!
I'm back home now and already feeling much better!!  The arthroscopy went well, and indeed there were problems in there.

First, I had developed a sever sinovitis.  When Dr. Carter made the initial incision, about 10 cc's of fluid came out of the joint.  Secondly, the meniscus had re-torn and one of the anchors was floating around in the joint, and a second anchor had been knocked totally loose from the meniscus and was about to come totally out and start floating around in there as well.

My new OS has put more anchors in, and also had to place a longer anchor towards the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus because he felt that the "regular" anchors would not have held the way it needs to to allow for proper healing.

Dr. Carter also removed a large band of scar tissue that had already formed from the patella to either the tibia or the femur- I can't remember which.  He also had to shave a very small portion of the articular cartilage due to damage from the floating anchor.

Needless to say, I am already feeling much better.  I will be in an imobilizer for at least 2 weeks, maybe more.  It all depends on how I progress.

I have a great outlook and am feeling very positive about my recovery this go-round.  I have some swelling, so I can't stay on the board long, but just wanted to let you guys know how things went.

I hope all is well with you as this is my first time back since checking in Friday morning.  Thank you all for your nice comments, and support.  And thank you all for caring about someone you have never met before. :D

I'll be back in a couple of days when my swelling calms down!!  

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2003, 01:22:08 AM »
Ozzybug,

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! I'm so pleased that you are doing well. Are you going to inform your old OS about this problem? I have thought many times about writing to my old OS about the way he did my quad tendon repair, not to be rude but just to possibly save someone else from going through it.  I never have done this though.  A simple modification in his techinque and changing his post op protocol could possibly save many.  Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you do. Be careful on those crutches now!  ;)

Hugs,
Heather B.
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2003, 07:25:46 AM »
I am soooo glad to hear form you.  It's great to hear it went well for you.  Hopefully now you will stay on the road to recovery.  I stayed in my immobiliser for 4wks.  I did have trouble with swelling and pain but I think it will be better for it.  Your anchors will need time to heal so don't rush it.  What about the pain where your quads are?  Was anything said or done about that?  Or was it due to your knee problems?  
Anyway glad to hear you're okay and I wish you the best.  Keep us posted.  8) ;D

Offline eastsidegirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2003, 05:59:28 PM »
Dear Lezlee:  Sooooooooooo happy to hear you are feeling better.  Glad to know your procedures went well.  You are in my thoughts.

Sheila
Complex Lateral Meniscus Tear, Large Media Plica and Medial Degeneration at the undersurface of the Patella debrided, softening  of the femoral condyle with Grade II degeneration ... debrided

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2003, 05:18:19 PM »
You guys!!  I can feel the love. ;D-
I thank you so much for your support and kind words and well wishes.  You guys are playing a key role in keeping my spirits up during all of this mess.  Thank you- AGAIN- from the bottom of my wittle ole heart.

Any time any of you need help, support, or even just someone to vent with- I will be here for you.  These boards are full of really great people.  Although each of you are having problems, pain and frustration you still take time out to help others and for that you guys deserve many wonderful blessings.

I know I can get through this and sharing the good as well as the bad things with you guys has been a blessing because, although I have a wonderful family, I just don't want to keep going on and on about this with them.

I am sending big warm mushy hugs to each and every one of me new friends. (That would be you guys!!)

XOXO :-*
Lezlee

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2003, 04:44:56 AM »
Lezlee:

So glad your surgery went so well (but sorry there was so much wrong!). You've got to be relieved that you found someone who recognized there was a problem and did something about it.

I agree with Heather B that you should let your old OS know. That's doesn't mean you have to contact him at all. Just ask that a copy of your surgery notes be sent directly to him. Think of it as a professional courtesy from one doctor to another. He would probably want to know what they found. That will make him a smarter doctor for the next patient.

Hope things continue to go well. I was in an immobilizer for over 2 months. You get used to it pretty quickly. Be good to yourself and take care!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2003, 11:10:07 AM »
I just about fell off my chair receiving the warm mushy hug.  Thankyou ;D  And it's no worries giving support to fellow kneegeek. ;D  Now take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2003, 05:52:56 PM »
Oh you better beleive I'll be letting my former OS know what has gone on since my lst visit with him.  I promise not to be rude, or ugly because, in all actuality he is human and is also entitled to make mistakes.  I just kind of wish they weren't at mine, or any other patients expense though.

I am going to send a letter in with the bill that I just received for what my insurance company didn't cover.  I am also going to keep a copy just so that i have a record of it.  I'm not angry at him, I just don't for the likfe of me understand why he took my concerns & problems with what felt like a "grain of salt"?!! ???

Never once was I emotional or overly upset.  I was very matter of fact in the fact that I know my body and I knew for sure that I had caused damage when I fell.  He would just sit there and give me the generic "everything will eventually be ok with your knee- it may just take some time" answers.

Oh well, that is water under the bridge now, and thanks to my new OS I am able to move on to full recovery with the piece of mind that i was right.  OH, how I LOVE it when I know what I'm talking about ;D.  hehe

You guys take good care of yourselves & those knees, after all- we only have one pair of 'em.

HUGS, KISSES & MUCH HAPPINESS
Lezlee

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2003, 05:55:54 PM »
....By the way Sienna- with all of the crutching around- my arms are getting pretty strong- so if you need a helping hand getting up off the floor- I'll be happy to help- especially since it was my hug that put ya' there.

I know- not funny at all..... ::)