Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Growing more & more concerned...  (Read 9435 times)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Growing more & more concerned...
« on: October 01, 2003, 08:35:56 PM »
This is starting to really concern me.  I have posted in other areas of this sight and have gotten some really helpful advice from some very nice people, but now things are progressively getting worse day by day. :'(

I am 5 weeks post-op from lateral meniscus anchoring & plica removal, right knee.  I have been doing everything specifically as instructed by my OS.  All was going well, and I was reaching each post-op "goal" as expected, and then the "fall".

I tripped over an area rug with my crutches and felt an excruciating burning/tearing sensation in my post-op knee.  I ended up in the ER and then went back to my OS the following day.  At that time he felt as though no major damage was done.

Now, for the past two weeks, my knee is locking up, my leg is swelling from the knee down to the toes and my foot is turning purple intermitantly.  I can not straighten my leg fully any more, and I feel something inside my knee joint.  Sometimes it will bend, then other times it won't because something inside it stops it from going further.

Went to the OS last week, and he feels that what I am experiencing is "tightness" of the joint capsule.  He told me to rest it for a couple days then begin putting light pressure on it with the aid of my crutches.  He also scheduled another appointment for the 8th.

Yesterday, all day long, I felt something "poking" inside the rear lateral portion of my knee joint.  Then, last night, it felt as though someone had placed a wedge inside the joint.  My knee then locked in posistion and it took me 5 minutes of pain and torture to get it unlocked.

What do I do?  I know something went wrong in my fall, but I can't seem to convince my OS.  I am having real problems now and feel that we need to go back in to take a look?!! :-[  Am I too impatient, or should I be more persistant with my OS?
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Growing more & more concerned...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 04:46:03 AM »
I, too had a post op fall. If your os will not take your concerns as valid, perhaps you ought to consider a second opinion.

See if you can convince your os to order another mri, that is what mine did after a month of waiting to see if it'd be okay, and me complaining that I couldn't put weight on it, and the mri showed that I had in fact retore my knee.

Keep at it, don't give up. Here's an idea - if you have a video camera, take a short video of you being unable to bend the knee, and take the camera to playback for him. It wouldn't have any audio when you play it back in the camera, unless you have one of the newer camcorders, but even video alone might be convincing.
can't hurt to try, right?

Hope you get some answers. Seems like mri is what you need to get them, like my situation was.
Keep complaining! The squeeky wheel gets the grease!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 08:00:04 AM »
Ozzybug,

Please get this checked by another OS or be more persistent with the one you have. Either way do it ASAP!!! I took a fall March 2002, 1 month post op from a VMO advancement and a LR.  I too went to the ER and because the knee was so huge they tried aspirating top relieve the pain/pressure to no avail, the blood was coalgulated. It was HUGE and I couldn't bear weight or anything for days afterward and I too knew something was wrong even though my x-rays didn't show anything In the ER, I was drugged up on pain meds and sent home to wait to see my OS in 2 days.

On that followup visit, he told me it was fine.  Four long months of not getting better from surgery, pain and severe discomfort, with a lot of persistence from me and my PT the OS FINALLY ordered an MRI only to find my enitre quad tendon had been ruptured from that fal.  I l the whole time. I ended up with patella baja after that repair because it was ruptured so long.

I just recently had another surgery to correct that problem.  It will be at least 9 months if we know if it worked and to be honest, I may never get better all because that OS waited and I wasn't smart enough to seek out another one.  The longer you wait the more damage could be done. That one fall of mine required two additional surgeries!  

You know more than anyone else when something isn't right. Even if things ARE fine in there, it can't hurt to pursue it if you think they aren't.  I pray that you are fine but just be safe and get it looked at soon.  Let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 05:12:06 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.  I know I am a very impatient person, but it is true- I know my body, and I also know that tightness of the capsule does not affect the inside of the joint.  I experienced capsule tightness when I first started my leg excercises after the arthroscopy.  That feeling was discomfort and some pain, but it was all on the "outside" of the joint.  The surrounding tissues if you will.

Everything that I have is "inside" the joint.  I now also have a HUGE swollen lump just above the knee.  I know that I already had quad atrophy, but now- I have absolutely no quad!  It feels like "mush" from the hip until just above the knee where the big swollen "mass" is.  

I will call the OS and see if I can get in before the 8th.  If not, I may just have to call my sister in VA.  She is a private scrub for some great OS's there.  She has been with them for 12 years.  She called last night and told me the same thing- "It is time for a second opinion."  I think it may be worth the trip to VA.

I have no time to waste- taking the kids to Disney in mid-December and I have to be 100%.  I can do it, I just need to know that all is right in my knee.  The rehab- I am strong and determined.  I can and will do it- no matter what the pain.  But what good is rehab if there is a re-injury?  Rehab may be causing more damage at this point?

Thank you again.  You guys deserve many blessings!!

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 03:10:52 AM »
Hey, if you're planning a Disney trip, check with them about scooter rentals. I live near Busch Gardens, and they rent scooters for those who want to use them.
Maybe that can be an option to help your trip be the best trip it can be.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 08:20:55 AM »
Ozzybug,
Please see someone asap!  I don't want to alarm you but from what you described about your quads it sounds like you've torn it.  That would explain the lump and mushy mess.  Is it painful where the mushy mess is?  Please get it looked at so it can be repaired if needed.
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 03:45:34 PM »
Sienna,

I was thinking the same thing about the Quad being torn either partially or completely.  

Ozzybug,

What you describe is what I had for four months before someone realized it and I got it fixed.  I ended up with all sorts of problems and 2 more surgeries because of it.  Please get it checked.  We're all here for here.  Good luck.

Heather

R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 04:40:15 PM »
Thank you both so much for the input.  I was thinking along the lines of the quads, but was just to "chicken" to bring myself to actually say it out loud.  I do not cherish the thought of a serious re-injury, but it could be the case.

Yes, the lumpy swelling above the knee is painful, and upon waking this moring- my knee is really feeling somthing stranger than it has the past couple of weeks.  It feels as though it has been "glued" inside the joint.  It is extremely painful today to the point that I can put absolutely NO weight on it without it feeling like fire and nails inside.

I called the OS for an earlier appt, but they are booked solid.  I do still have the appt. for the 8th, but if they get a cancellation before then, they will call.

One a side note-  I did bring up the scooter idea for Disney, and laughingly I told my hubby & kids that it would get us to the front of the line.  hehe.  Hey, nothing is going to keep me from this vacation!  It has been a long, busy summer and my kids deserve this!!

You two, have a nice weekend and take care of yourselves.  It is so nice to know that I can come here and "vent".

Lezlee

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 05:04:06 PM »
Ozzybug,

I don't know how to stress this enough....but get to a ER (even thougth you already went) I mean yes, they will only refer you but that referral can be your key to getting in sooner. Though the 8th is right around the corner...hmmm?  They can also take x-rays to check the positioning of the kneecap which could indicate a quad tendon rupure.  This would be getting progressively worse now.  This injury is BEST corrected when done within two weeks of the inituial tear.  I waited four months as I stated above and I had nothing but problem after problem with it because nobody would take my pain or limitations seriously.  

It may not even be the quad tednon, however, you mentioned you can hardly weigh bear this monring, that means it IS something pretty serious.  Do you have a brace that you wear or have worn in the past? You may want to immobilize it and see if that helps, if nothing else it could stop further damage from being done.  Don't settle for one set of diagnostic tests either. If you had them in the ER when you went have your OS repeat them on the 8th.  That is how my knee issues went undetected.  It looked okay on x-rays when I first ruptured it so I got the clean bill of health. Only to discover on further x-rays and MRI's it was torn.  I went to the ER via ambulance when mine happened.

I seriously hope that you can get comfortable while waiting. I know how painful things must be.  I sincerely hope it is not your quad tendon, however, fixed soon enough could leave you okay for vacation ;)

Just be persistent. I agree with you in your thoughts that something is not right.  Please be careful with it until you do get seen. I wish you well and we're all here if you want to chat.

Heather

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 06:05:31 PM »
Heather-

I think I will take your advice and get to the ER.  Maybe that will get me in sooner to my OS.  Thank you.  I truly do not want to cause further damge that will result in more repairs than needed and more pain and suffering.

I do have a knee brace.  It is a Bregg.  It is I think more for Patellar stabilization, but it does help.  It has stabilizing bars up each side. (although it does not imobilize the knee)  It also has the two velcro straps that extend across the knee cap.  It does make things feel better as the compression helps with the throbbing, discomfort & "jiggly" feeling of my knee- especially when I am crutching around.

Thank you- and I will keep you guys informed.

Lezlee

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 06:45:41 PM »
Lezlee,

First of all I love the spelling of your name! :)

Second, I'm so happy to hear that you will going to get it looked at again. Because you are post op from another surgery they will focus on the damage that you may or may not have done to the surgery. That's another reason mine got overlooked. They were telling me I damaged my repair not looking to see if I did anything new. Mention that you are concerned with a quad rupture or other possible damage different from the surgery.  Get their minds thinking outside of the box.  Janet from this board got hers looked at and had been lucky enough to get it repaired right away, I wish this for you if need be.   Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking of you.

Heather

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 02:51:33 AM »
Lezlee:

I agree that you should have this checked out. But don't assume the ER will find something, even if it's there. I tore my quad tendon after slipping on a wet floor. I couldn't bear any weight on it. They took x-rays in the ER and did a short exam (the notes said there was too much pain to do a full exam). They said I had probably damaged a ligament, put me in an immobilizer and said to see an OS in a few days. Once I was in the immobilizer, I was allowed to put some weight on it, and it didn't really hurt anymore. Knowing what I do now, I know they didn't even check to see if I could extend my leg (which I couldn't at all....I couldn't even lift my leg up onto the exam table).

When I saw the OS four days later, it took him about 15 seconds to diagnose the quad tendon tear. I never had an MRI. This DID NOT show on the x-ray. My patella was still in the correct place. I had "open" surgery the next day to reattach the tendon.

Good luck. I sure hope you haven't torn your quad. It's a big injury and not fun to deal with. Let us know what you find out.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2003, 04:18:26 AM »
Janet-

how was recovery from the quad tendon repair?  Just in case I did tear mine, I would kind of like to know what to expect?  

This whole situation is just been frusterating for me as I have tried to be sooo careful.  My knee did lock up on me again today, and it put me flat on my face.  

I am going to get in the ER and make sure they do a thorough examination, and then when I get to the OS I am going to explain, in detail, every event that has transpired since my last visit.

You guys here are wonderful.  Thank you all for your help!

Lezlee

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2003, 05:37:11 AM »
Lezlee,

Good luck with your doctor!  It sounds, from your description of 'locking up' like you need some serious attention.  Enough of the pat on the head!  If your knee is dumping you on the floor, you must stress that as calmly and reasonably as possibly.  Ask what he would do if this were HIS knee (or his wife's/daughter's knee).

I don't know anything about quad tendon ruptures, but I do know scar tissue can cause all kinds of problems.  Right now I'm battling the 'ambush hyper-extension.'  One second I walking along, minding my own business, and the next my knee does this flamingo action straight backwards...then buckles and dumps me to the floor/wall (it usually happens in my hallway).  This is because of weak quads causing hyper-extension, then my knee goes into full protection mode because of the pain.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 05:44:43 PM »
Heather-

Wow- that really sounds painful!  The human leg was made to bend one way only!  Is there any kind of warning, like a weird feeling, or something before it happens?

Yes, you know, I had not thought about posing the question about what he would do if he, or one of his family members were in my position.  Thank you for that.

I did go to the ER, and they are like, "everything looks ok with the knee, but you should follow up with the OS."  They wanted to give me pain meds & ice pack.  I told them "no" to the meds....I already have those and use them when needed.  They did not even do an X-ray.  Their reason was, well, there is minimal swelling and an X-ray would be inconclusive.

So, next step- wait until the 8th to see my OS.  I'm glad that you guys here at this sight understand.  I still have faith that I will get better,  but it's just going to take a little longer than expected I guess.  No matter what, I am not going to leave the OS's office without some type of deffinitive answers about what is going on.

Heather- I hope your knee starts "behaving" better for you.  Don't want major damge from the hyper-extension.

Lezlee

support