Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....  (Read 6312 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Re: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2003, 09:51:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just checking back in to see how everyone is progressing. I've been gone a while. Abby, it looks as if you are doing great! Unfortunately, the time frame I was given for getting the quad back was 2.5 years, so it IS a slow progress but you have the right attitude. Mine is over 3 inches smaller than the other now. Keep up the great work. I really wish I had great news to share. Here's the latest:

I now have swelling beneath the kneecap, right over the tibia and going towards the lateral side that is out of control. My OS said before when it was a little swollen that it was localized swelling over the bone....it gets so big now it's unreal. Very painful as well. It almost looks like a jumbo sized egg sticking out. I know something is wrong once again.  I see my OS in two weeks so we'll see what he can make of it.

I also have terrible screw pain up and down the shin. My progress is going backwards now. This new lump and screw pain is just too much. I am basically quitting. I will never be the same, I just need to accept that. My quad is still torn and is more painful than it was when it was done. I think it's torn more. I can't do a SLR still so I know that it needs attention. I just can't take this anymore. I'm going on two years of nothing but pain and NO activity. I'm going nuts. Oh well. Woah is me, right? Nobody seems to have had a TTT for patella baja so there is nobody I can ask. At least it's better than with baja. I do have to say that.

Hope everyone else is getting along MUCH better than I am. I don't mean to sound so negative, I just needed to vent I guess. Good luck to all and please keep posting as to where you are on the recovery road. Thanks for listening.

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2003, 11:08:02 PM »
Hi Heather,

You poor dear!  I'm sorry to hear that you're so discouraged these days.  You've been one of the ones usually so chipper and friendly and willing to offer some warm words of advice.  No, it's not fair that you haven't improved in leaps & bounds, but I'm glad to hear that you're happier to be rid of the patellar baja at least.

I can sympathize with the swelling... it's 9 1/2 weeks post-op for me now & I have a lump in the EXACT same location as you that started only last week.  It seems pretty intrusive and is hard to try and push ROM farther b/c I'm scared that it'll pop or something.  Also, today we had our first really cold winter weather complete with snowfall... I think the screws in my leg feel the cold and HATE it because they were throbbing something awful when I got into work this morning.  I finally learned to walk straight and now I'm limping in pain!   >:(

Other than that, I've actually seen a little improvement in my knee these past few days.  I started going to a new PT just one week ago.  She is so gentle and REALLY makes me work against my own strength & resistance rather than forcing me.   :) I think ROM is at about 90-95... not where I want it to be, but I'll take whatever I can get for now.

Started driving this week.   Going to PT 3x week, back to work f/t, not using any walking aids (although I'm still at work now and REALLY wish I had my cane to get me home).      Still no brace, next OS visit in January.  Going to try pool-walking (probably tomorrow morning).  Otherwise, half-circles on bicycle, SLR with muscle stim at physio (I do them at home, too, but can't get the last 5 degrees of extension without the stim), squats & wall slides.  Learned a new tip for wall slides - point the toes out slightly laterally and lift toes up pressing the heel into the wall to give a little added stretch.  Can also do the same thing sitting in a chair - toes pointed out laterally & lifting toes while pushing heel into the ground.

Anyways, I'm gonna brave the trip home.  Although my car is sitting in my driveway, my chauffeur friends & relatives are currently all out of town.

Hope some of you other folk are having a better day!
Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2003, 01:48:26 AM »
Heather,

I know, I haven't had a TTT but as an honorary-thinking-about-it-and-probably-gonna-do-it TTT person, I feel like I can give you *some* advice, at least about the swelling that has you so worried.

I really think you should call your OS's PA and talk about it--there are several possible culprits, all of them treatable, so please don't freak and think the surgery has failed!  I will tell you what my doctor told me when I asked about the grotesque, egg-shaped swelling that I ALWAYS have above my knee.  He said that the knee capsule can only contain so much fluid; when there's more, as in after surgery or injury, it has to push out where ever it can.  The location that the fluid bulges out varies in person to person--but the place it pops out is the always weakest part of each person's particular knee capsule.  Some have it in back; some laterally, some above, some below.  So is it possible you are simply seeing a symptom of swelling in the form of this goose egg below your knee?  Mine always bulges out above the knee for some reason.  Kind of ironic, isn't it, that I have patellar tendon issues and my swelling is all above the knee, while you have quad tendon issues and all your swelling is below the knee!  Just goes to show you that knees aren't predictable.

Other possibilities?  I'm sure the rest of the TTT'ers can comment much better than I--but it seems logical to allow for the possibility of pre-patellar bursitis (either on its own or from the screws)--what has the OS said?  The hardware in there could be really irritating everything, and you just need some ice and rest to cool it off.  That would be a best-case scenarion, wouldn't it?  Swelling can be dealt with--My OS put me on oral steroids, and they worked like a dream.  But if you're even thinking about more surgery to fix the quad tendon, stay away from the Prednisone!  

Have you been put on Celebrex?  Vioxx?  Mobic?  I went on Vioxx about 2 months post op the first time, and it made my tummy ache and gave me the runs.  I went on Celebrex a few weeks later and took it for about 6 weeks.  I then told my OS I was still having lots of pain, and so I went off the Celebrex....BIG MISTAKE!!  I didn't realize it, but the Celebrex was taking my pain from about a 6/10 to a 3/10.  So after a few days off the stuff, I started getting more and more intense pain...after I went back on, things settled down.  This has happened several times in the last few years as I had to go off the meds before surgery--the pain is always much worse starting about 4-5 days after going off the Celebrex, so I have to assume that it's doing something, even if I do still have a lot of pain every day.  It could be worse, I guess.  Don't you love those silver linings...?

I know all about the up and down days--you're just having a bad patch.  I wonder if the whole knee isn't just inflamed and irritated, which would explain why you can't do an SLR?  Of course, the quad tendon is a factor, but have you actually had an MRI of it to confirm the sucker is torn?  Maybe that would help, along with a long heart-to-heart with your OS.

I know how tough it is to have your life changed by a series of surgeries.  Family tries to understand, but they don't get it and they are frustrated that they can't fix things.  Your doctor, you and the PT are the only ones who can (different PT than Mr. ROM, by the way!) so maybe you just need to all put your heads together and come up with a new, slightly altered game plan?  I can't tell you what a difference it's made in my life to a) find a competent PT, b) get into full-time pain management so I can work and live my life, and c) explore the complementary treatments like acupuncture, myo-fascial release, weekly massage, and so forth.  These things haven't fixed my knee, but they've helped me live with it.  They have improved my quality of life, and that's what medicine is here for!  If only they could fix my back--and quickly--but that's a whole new story.  (Finally threw my back out with my funky walk and posture, so I had a flare of sciatica which is not something I'm eager to repeat!)

Anyway, take care and keep posting.  Writing all your fears down allows you to deal with them and overcome them.  It's therapeutic all by itself, and should help you deal with all the emotional issues that come with physical torture from your knees.

(((HUGS)))

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2003, 06:35:02 AM »
Thank you Heather M.  Your advice means more than you can know to all of us but especially I'm sure to Heather.  I also wanted to write and give some advice to her but I just don't know nearly as much as you do.  So thank you for writing.  I think you had some really encouraging and hopeful things to say.  

Heather we are all thinking of you and willing things to get better.  You must be going stir crazy with the lack of exercise.  Is there any way that you can get to a pool and use your arms to propel yourself through the water?  Once you get in the pool, you don't need to use your legs at all if you put a float between your legs.  I promise it will feel amazing and freeing.

Hang in there, Abby
LR Feb. 2002 (failed); TTT Aug. 6, 2003

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2003, 05:48:34 AM »
Heather...I am so sorry to hear that things are not going so well for you. I wish i could help! I think talking to your OS about your discouraging feelings would probably be the best thing, but again, Im so sorry!  :-/

I am actually doing very well. I am now at 13 weeks post op and feeling great. I am at 117 dgs ROM and I am so ready to stop having physical therapy!!  

Im sorry it has been so long since I have posted anything.  School has been absoultely crazy!!  But I hope everyone is doing great, and Heather, I hope everything works out for the best!

Take care,
Ginger
Chronic dislocation both knees
TTT and LR on R Knee 9/4/2003
TTT and LR on L Knee 8/19/2004

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2003, 06:07:21 AM »
Ginger,
Thanks for the good wishes. I can always use them! It's great to hear you are doing so well. Post when you can, it's so nice to read uplifting posts when people are going through rough spota. Kind of gives them a little light with their own issues. At least is does me so continue to share when you are able. Keep up the great work!

Hugs,
Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04