Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2003, 05:49:39 AM »
Hi all.  First to Heather, I was so sorry to hear about what happened in rehab last week.  I hope that you can see your OS soon and get it sorted.  Rehab is hard enough without setbacks like that, so know that we are all thinking of you and anxious to hear.

Thanks for reassuring me about my PT bringing my leg up towards my back while I'm lying on my stomach.  So painful but glad to know that it's normal.  

Bit of a tough week here for me.  One day I'm sure it's getting better and that I'm walking normally and the next day it hurts to walk across a room and I feel like I'm getting worse.  

Quick question about using a step.  PT recommended I practice using a step to strenthen quad, but how?  Does anybody else use one for rehab? Also, I'm thinking of buying a balance disk which is supposed to be good for the quad. Has anyone used one of these or could you ask your PT what they think of it?  My Japanese PT has no idea what I'm talking about.  Thanks very much.  Have a good day, Abby
LR Feb. 2002 (failed); TTT Aug. 6, 2003

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2003, 09:56:11 PM »
Abby,

I am currently doing steps in rehab. Just practice putting the bad leg on the step above and then pulling your weight up. Both feet will end up on the same step. Then go back down with the good leg and repeat. My PT has me going back down with my bad leg and I'm not really ready for it. Also make sure you are not leaning over because then you don't get the full benefit of the exercise. That's my little way of cheating...lol.  

As far as the balance disk, I don't have an answer. I am too weak to even think about that right now. I did use it in the past with other surgeries and it works the stabilizer muscles wonderfully. I would focus on the quad first, get it strong then do the disk. Just my opinion though.

Don't know whether I psoted this on this thread or not but my PT popped my knee and said it was an adhesion. That was Friday of last week and I have had no improvement. I'm seeing the OS tomorrow and have cancelled PT for the rest of the week. I'm hoping it is normal and nothing to worry about. I'll post back when I hear.

Thinking of you all and wishing you good knee days!

Take care,
Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 06:51:42 AM »
Hi TTT/TTO friends,

Heather - sorry to hear about the step backwards in rehab.  I hope your OS can help you out when you see him, and that your PT does more good than harm in the future - have you stopped going this week b/c you're worried about further damage or about the competency of your PT.  Either way, let us know how things go.

I'm now back from my trek in New Orleans... I was at this massive conference with 25,000 neuroscientists (yeah, I'm one of them).  Anyways, I just wanted to say that walking for 4-8 hours a day (I used my crutches for support, but tried to put full pressure on the fixed leg as much as possible) was definitely therapeutic.  At first I thought I was insane, then I got upset a couple times at some of the other students for walking too fast ahead of me and making it look like I wasn't with them, but eventually I came around.  I think my OS did a really good job b/c I'm not feeling much pain, and I can already tell that the 'bad leg' now has the potential to be my new 'good leg'.   ;D  However, there's a really big bruise under my knee on the back of my leg, though... has anyone else experienced this?  Physio says it's probably from blood pooling there - isn't that bad?  wouldn' t that mean a clot could form there?

I'll get my PT to measure where I'm at for ROM in the morning - I'm guessing I'm about 70+ dg, though.    I see the OS on Tuesday - kinda nervous b/c I don't know what to expect, but hopefully it's better than the last visit where he yelled at me.

Speaking of yelling, I am now known as "crutches" on Bourbon St.  ::)
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 12:51:53 PM »
Marie,

Welcome back hun! I think the bruising is normal. Your body usually reabsorbs the blood, but check with your OS if you are concerned. I think you are probably out of the woods for DVT since you are mobile, but check. Better safe than sorry on that one.

I didn't go back to PT because for one thing I was in pain and I wanted my OS to see me without any PT induced swelling. Funny how I wrote that?!?! LOL! But what I meant was the swelling caused by the physical activities.  This way he could better evaluate my knee without it being huge.    

Turns out I have a partial tear in my quad tendon, yet again!!!!!! I just had that reattached along with my TTT in September. That was the second time it's been messed with. I can't do a SLR at all now but if I can in the next two weeks then I should be fine. If I can't then I guess it will have to be repaired.

I don't really blame the PT because I had "tweaked" it in the same location before then. I posted somewhere about that. That was my first set back. This one however will be a major one as I can only rest it for 2 weeks and see how I do. I have to restrict ROM again, so GREAT!  :'(

Here is where I WAS though: ROM forced to 135-140 by PT. Riding bike with level 3/4 resistance for 20 minutes. 1 Legged Mini squats-PT assisted and me holding on for dear life. Brace unlocked to 70 and sometimes 90! Doing stairs somewhat. SLR were a breeze and my quads were coming back....slowly but I can see anything through this atrophy! So all that I AM giving up and probably going to lose. Okay enough about me, I feel like crying.

I'm glad your trip went well and you think this surgery was beneficial!!!!!! Funny you earned the nickname "crutches" mine was "sticks" LOL! I was worried about pain for you, but you seem to have had that under control. I'm really impressed with how far you came being on your own like that. Your OS will be impressed too. Did you get all the accomodations you needed?  Please update us on the bruise and how the OS visit goes. Wishing you luck!

Take care,
Heather        
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2003, 01:51:09 AM »
Heather,  
Your good attitude is going to get you through this setback.  You were doing so well and you don't deserve this but hopefully it will repair itself and in a few weeks you can get back to where you were quickly and then continue on.   I also feel like crying for you just out of sympathy.  We are here for you.

Marie, New Orleans is one of my favorite U.S. cities.  Glad you had a great time down there.  I  had bruising under the knee cap about 2 and 1/2 weeks after the operation which looked awful, but mine went away within a few days.  

I'm now 3 months post op and have been able to bike for about the past 6 weeks.  Just a week ago I noticed a slight popping/clicking noise above and to the right corner of the kneecap.  Not every time I pushed through but almost every time.  I asked my PT about it yesterday and he said he didn't think it was the joint, but rather the muscle getting too tight.  (I think that's what he said, he doesn't speak any English and I can't understand 100% of what he says.) I only feel this when biking, not walking.   He said to stretch out that muscle better before and after biking.  It was still doing it this morning when I cycled to work.  Does anyone know what this could be or have any advice for me?

Take care of yourself Heather.  All the best, Abby

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2003, 09:18:33 PM »
I am about 3 months post-op from my TTT and medial ligament reconstruction.  I did 110dg at my 8 week visit and my doc has prescribed NO formal PT.  I'm doing exercises at home.  I'm now nearly able to bend the leg completely, can go upstairs with a rail but still coming down them one at a time unless they are short.  But overall, I'm pleased.  I am having some pain around the kneecap though - doctor thinks it's still surgical pain - but I wonder if you guys are still having any pain with that?  I also get some pain at the site where the new ligament is - I have to sleep with a pillow under it.  But I'm not getting pain from the TTT site although once in a while I can feel the screw.  I am wondering why I don't have to go through PT and whether or not any of you are doing anything different there than I am at home?
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2003, 01:16:10 AM »
Hey Kimby,

I'm not sure why your OS wouldn't suggest therapy after your surgery. How strong were your quads when you went in for surgery? I had extreme atrophy for about 1.5 years prior to mine so mine was more than necessary and will be for some time to come.

After my scopes years ago, I didn't have PT because my quads were so strong. I went anyway to try and strengthen my VMO to help tracking but it wasn't required.

I'm not as far post op as you but still have pain in the kneecap area as you do. Also at times in the tibia where the screw site is. I just found out my quad tendon has been partially torn again so the kneecap pain could be from that. What exercises are you doing at home? I'm glad you are pleased with the result. Keep us posted on how you are doing and the exercises you add to your routine.

Take care,
Heather

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2003, 02:40:04 AM »
I just got a reply on another part of the website where someone else said her OS said no PT either - same reason as mine - they are concerned about therapists getting a little over-zealous and re-injuring the TTT sites after surgery.  As for home exercises, I have a 12 inch rubber ball - I put that under my thigh just above the knee and press (with my thigh) 100 times (both legs).  Then I put the ball between my thighs and squeeze 100 times (about 3-5 seconds per squeeze).  I also do leg lifts with the thigh muscle tightened, front, side and back, 10 times each way both legs.  I had been doing 300 leg bends per day post surgery, but since I now have nearly a full bend, I do about 10-20 full (as much as I can) bends for 30 seconds per bend.  I also do one leg stands, 30 seconds each, on a small trampoline (try it - it's really hard even on a good leg - insto thigh strengthening).  I really am pleased with the results.  My new scars look better already than my old scars did.  I am concerned about the knee pain, but I guess I ought to have a bit more faith in the doc as he's been right so far.  

Thanks for the encouraging note - I'm glad to see others understand - it took a long time to find a doctor who would even believe that I had pain despite the horrendous noises my knees made.

Kim
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 01:04:21 AM »
Hi Kim,

I'm about 3.5 months post-op from a TTT, and I'm going seeing a PT once a week now, mainly to work on ROM: he pushes and I cringe.  Otherwise I'm doing exercises at home: mini-squats, SL raises, and just recently using a balance disk.  I'm going to a sports club 3 times a week and doing leg presses and using a stationary bike, although for the past week or so I've noticed a strange clicking noise above the kneecap, so I'm going to stop biking for a week and see if it gets better on its own, otherwise I guess I'll try and see a doctor.  Like you, I'm managing stairs slowly with a rail.  I'm not sure what you mean about pain aroundthe kneecap. A constant sharp pain, dull ache, or only when you touch it or are exercising it?

All the best, Abby

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2003, 01:35:52 AM »
Abby,

I also have the clicking in my kneecap and my knee always pops to the inside. I am not sure if my newly messed up quad tendon is the culprit there. If you do go to the OS about it, please let us know what he says. Keep up the good workouts! Sounds like you are really getting there!

Take care,
Heather

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 02:52:05 AM »
Hi Abby & Heather -

The pain around the knee feels mostly like a soft-tissue sort of pain - sore, but not unbearable or anything.  It doesn't hurt to massage it or anything, which is mainly what I've been doing.  It might have more to do with the new ligament he put in - he mentioned that it would be tight and kind of hard for a while.  It's no longer hard, but probably still kind of tight.  I ended up using a cadavor ligament - the other option was a third surgery and taking one from my thigh.  I figured two surgeries at once was plenty to deal with.  

I think that's why the doc thinks it's surgical pain - but the clicking, grinding and etc is gone.  Heather, I am glad to hear you quit riding the bike for a while - strengthening the thigh is a good thing, but not at the cost of ending back up where you began, you know?  

Glad to hear there are others in the same boat - I wish I had written sooner before my surgery - it would have alleviated a lot of my concerns.

Thanks, all!

Kim
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 09:51:48 PM »
Hey there,

Quick question:  how long before y'all got to 90 dg ROM... I'm not quite there and it's been 7+ wks w/PT everyday. I'm getting annoyed at not being able to sit at places like theatres pushing 2 months after the surgery!  I see the OS tomorrow... I'm worried he's going to suggest arthrofibrosis debridgement or something of the likes (NOOOOOOO!).  Surprisingly, walking & gait are good (slow, but I can go w/o assistance, and can even stand on the right leg now!).  I'm thinking PT could have pushed me farther, but I know that there's no way I could've done more work on my own at home, so maybe I just feel like I'm having a really slow recovery b/c of all the work initially done & the way I kept my leg so straight for the first 3 1/2 weeks.   Any ideas folks?

I think I'm just scared that my OS will yell at me again. >:(

Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Di

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • this too shall pass
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 07:55:14 AM »
Hello,

It is great to read that everyone is making some progress. Figure I would add what I was doing.

I am almost 3 month post op from a Marquette TTT and can do the following
Rom without pain is 120
Rom forcing with pain is 130
I am still having trouble weight bearing but am praticing with one crutch now.
Started driving again last week with help getting in and out of the car.  Stairs are a big problem for me
I go to PT twice a week for about 45 minutes.  I can do the bike on level 2 for about 10 minutes, started that today.  We pratice me walking with her help and she does various stretches with my leg.   She has gone fairly easy on me when I read what other people do.  
However I home, I do about 120 leg lifts, three different ways using 2lbs weights, should be able to upgrade to 3 lbs soon.  I also force my knee back to increase my rom and break up the horrrible scar tissue.  I do get some popping now but she does not seem worried about it and is glad that my knee is cracking because that mean I am breaking up the scar tissues.  
I am at a -15 when i try to straighten the knee which is what we are working on more now.  I also stand on my tip toes holding to things to get my muscles working in the back of the leg.  I will just be glad when I can finally be cleared to go back to work but the OS won't until i can walk without any aid.  I don't wear a brace, went right from the imoblizer to nothing.  It is hard to remember to tigthen the knee when walking but it does help.  I hope everyone keeps getting better.

Oh, my PT also has me lay on my stomach and I bend the knee back.  This is one the hardest one so far to increase in Rom.

Di

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 10:31:29 AM »
Hi Di, Welcome and thanks for sharing your progress.  It seems like you're doing well. You mentioned cracking and popping. Is that when you're walking around or when you're doing a knee extension?  When I occasionally try and straighten my knee out from a sitting position (which I guess I just do to stretch it out because I don't do them as a part of rehab anymore after I just refused to one day) the popping noise is sickening.  It hurts me just to hear it.  Can anyone relate?  I'm sure it's worse than before the surgery....could that be scar tissue breaking up or is it cartilage damage???

I know what you mean about how painful it is lying on your stomach and having the pt force your leg towards your back. Brutal.

Hope you're all having good days.  Abby

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 09:38:24 AM »
Hi again,

Is everyone doing ok?  Are you posting in another place or maybe everyone is just kinda going through this bit on their own.  I'm at nearly 4 months and would love to say that I'm doing great.  BUT....

ROM is about 150 degrees with help, so that's not too bad I guess.  The bad quad has only gotten 1/2 cm bigger in the last 6 weeks so there's still 2 and 1/2 cm difference between the two.  I have no idea how that compares to anyone else, but I assume that's not a lot of improvement and I need to work a lot harder.

Still doing mini-squats, slr with ankle weights (usually placed around my quad), mini-lunges, and biking on a low speed a couple of times a week.

I've been walking every day for 35 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.  But there's still a considerable amount of pain....pressure especially around the medial part of the knee cap.  Unfortunately, similar to what it felt like pre-surgery.  I still can't swim.  Guess there's not enough strength in the quad to push down.  

Trying to maintain a positive attitude and I keep telling myself that it takes a very long time to recover and that if I can get some more strength in the quad that the pain will lessen when I put pressure on the knee.............

All the best, Abby