Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....  (Read 6316 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....
« on: October 29, 2003, 11:42:51 PM »
Hi,

I kinda wanted to do a roll call in a sense. I wanted to compare notes on how far we have all come.  I know that are recoveries will be VERY different as some of us had other procedures done along with the TTT/TTO. I have found it so useful to compare notes with all of you. It makes me feel like I am doing good and helps me with my frustration....which I have to admit...has been getting the best of me lately. We can just include general information kind of like I have below and anything else you care to add.  

1. 8 weeks post op today!  ;D
2. 2nd visit to PT
3. Got ROM to almost 120 (OUCH!) Can't do that on my  own!
4. Doing simple isometric exercises. SLR, quad sets, mini squats, wall/heel slides for ROM. Knee still very hot and swells after exercises. Looks like I have a second kneecap.  
5. Still wearing hinged brace. Unlocked to 40 but supposed to be on 70. I'm too scared to go to 70 because this all happened with a simple knee buckle. Atrophy still measures 3 inches smaller than other quad.
6. Pain scale 1-10. Most days I'd say 5. When that inner knee pain starts feels like post op pain and rates an 8. Taking Motrin 800mg for pain and occasionally percocet to sleep.
7. Next Post op not until December.
8. Still have extremely poor gait. I adopted this gait a long time ago and have yet to unlearn it.
9.  Back to driving and normal activities. Still have to take it easy when shopping, driving, stairs, ect. I still go back to the crutches when the pain gets the best of me.

All in all, I'm okay with where I am right now. Anything is better than living with patella baja. My PT asked me if I regret this surgery....I said Heck NO! So far my kneecap is still where it belongs so I'm happy. I'm looking forward to hearing about you guys and hope we can all help each other progress further.

Love to all,
Heather      
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Megan, Ginger, other TTT people....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 06:30:55 AM »
Great Idea!!

1. Almost 8 weeks post-op
2. Only at 43 dg ROM
3. Doing simple bending exericses at home, trying to get to 90 on my own.
4. Started with electro therapy..where they shock the muscle esp my VMO that has atrophied so much!
5. Only been to 1 PT apt yesterday, second one on friday
6. Second Post-op visit to my OS on the 11th of November
7. Because of trying to strengthen my VMO yesterday, my knee has really been acting up today, id say around a 5 or 6 on the pain scale :-/
8. Swelling is incredible tonight, looks like where they attatched my tibial tuberosity is another complete knee. Im a little worried about the amount of swelling since this is the most its has been swolen in like 4 weeks.
9. I really stopped my pain meds (darvocet) after the second week post-op but it looks like i may have to go back to them.

Im a little worried because i have been working my knee so much, but since im going to PT on friday hopefully they can tell me if im pushing too hard!

Glad to hear you're already at 120 Heather!! Congrats!!

Hope everyone is doing great!,
Ginger
Chronic dislocation both knees
TTT and LR on R Knee 9/4/2003
TTT and LR on L Knee 8/19/2004

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 04:47:32 PM »
Ginger,

Sounds as if you are doing great! I have that swelling too, so maybe it's normal or we are BOTH overdoing things...lol. Maybe I should clarify...my PT doesn't use anything to measure my ROM which I find weird, he does it by site and feel. Kind of inaccurate if you ask me. I can barely get to 90 on my own, but after he yanks on it and tears fall (mine of course) he can get me around 120. It's so painful!

He also doesn't do e-stim which I have found particularly helpful this far along post op with my other surgeries. So you are lucky to have that to help your quad progress along. He also doesn't do ice. Tells me to go right home and ice and elevate. Isn't that what the insurance is paying him for?

I'm a little iffy about him, but he basically is my checking point before adding new things to my routine. I was only supposed to go once a week to have the check (ex. adding weight, checking form, etc) but since I'm in so much pain lately he wants me to come twice so he can basically manipulate the ROM and stretch the joint itself.

Overall, he's intelligent and knows his stuff. It's just his protocol is off the wall it worries me.   :o

Well anyway, I'm glad you are doing well and coming along. Thanks for sharing your post op update!

Good knee thoughts for you,
Heather          
« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 04:50:09 PM by Heather »
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 10:14:44 PM »
Yall sound like you are doing great!....in your own situation of course  :D.  We all differ so much, but it is really really great to be able to 'compare' just to get an idea of things.

1.  14.5 weeks po
2.  ~125-130 ROM.  I haven't been measured in a few weeks, and I have't gotten the last few degrees because I'm not squatting or kneeling as I normally would from lack of muscle and stability.  I feel complete ROM will come back when I start functioning like I used to...or hope it will  ;).
3.  Going to PT Monday thru Friday.  I was put on the post therapy program and I can go as little or as much as I like.  It has actually worked out well.  I get everything I did before minus heat, elec stim and ice.
4.  Walk on tredmill for 10 mins at 2.0 incline.  Bike for 7 mins at level 4 resistance.  Leg press, adduction, abduction, hamstrings and leg presses at 80 lbs each machine.  I've also started upper body exercises...thought I may as well since I am there everyday  :).
5.  I haven't measured my leg, but it is still MUCH smaller than the 'good' one.  Leg presses seem to be the hardest, even at 80 lbs.  I still have unstability when walking.  I continue to think about every step I take, and am working on walking without my limp and making my foot straight instead of pointing in when I take a step.
6.  Pain is a 1-2 thru the day...maybe a 3 if I really work it at PT.  I'm taking Aleve or Tylenol Arthritis.  They seem to take the edge off the 'dull ache' I get every day.  If I sit for more than a minute it takes a few minutes to get the stiffness and ache to go away enough to walk faster than a snail when I get up lol.  Anyone else like this when they stand and try to walk?  I'm hoping this too shall pass.  My husband is now calling me 'grandma' haha.
7.  Next OS visit is the 4th of November.  My main question is the position of the knee cap and the stiffness/pain I have.
8.  Driving is going ok, shopping is hard if there is a lot to do.  My disabled placard expires Friday...ugghhh.  I'm not sure if I should ask the OS for an extended one.  :-/

All in all things are going ok....just slow.  Its hard to clean or play with my daughter.  I can now get on the floor from standing...but getting up is a whole diff story haha.  I have to scoot on the floor till I have my back to the couch or chair to help me get up again.  If I need my leg lifted from about 45 degrees to extended I have to pick it up and move it...that is getting old.  I'm still questioning the surgery at times.  I am feeling more positive the last month or so.  I actually haven't cried about this all in a long time....thats a good sign!  I was really feeling down about it for such a long time.

Hope you are all having a great day!  Happy early Halloween!

Megan
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 12:15:12 AM »
Megan,

First of all, I love your signature line...so very true it is!

Secondly, you're doing great! I hope to be there at 14.5 weeks post op. Good on you for doing upper body too. You're gonna be buff!!!! I dream of the leg press daily. Oh how I miss it! I get the stiffness and soreness when not being on it for awhile too. I know you had concerns with the placement of your kneecap. Good to ask on that. It could be just the weakness of the quad, let's hope right?

I'm not ready for the treadmill yet as I still need my brace. I think it's going to be a permanent fixture for a while. I do hobble around the house without it though. It gives me heat rash...lol. I also turn my foot inward. I posted about that before and Janet responded that it may be the weak quad. Is that what you've been told? I already had a messed up gait from trying to walk with patella baja, but now this on top? Makes me look quite foolish.

I'm really thrilled to see how far you've come! I really appreciate you sharing. You have given Ginger and I something to shoot for! Keep us posted after that November 4 OS visit. Keep up the great progress!

Lots of love,
Heather    

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 12:29:36 AM »
You guys both sound like you're doing so well!!  I have dreams about being at 90 Dg!!  :)  Im feel "normal" most of the time..unless it comes to bending...or until i have to squat (which i cant do), sit, or just all in all move around!  

Im a little concerned about hurting my knee yesterday.  I was at work on my college campus at the pizza place i work at during school, and i stepped funny and man...talk about shooting pain!  Ever since i havent been able to bend very far at all because of pressure, and its really swolen.  Probably something I need to ask my PT about on friday.   :-/

Heather ~ Your PT sounds a little sketchy!!  I dont know how much I would like my knee being FORCED to a certian ROM.  I figure, if its ment to go...it will go!!  Also no icing?? What is that all about? I think thats one of the most importiant parts of getting good results from PT!  I'd ask your OS about all of that!

Megan ~ You're at where I hope to be at very soon!!  It sounds like you're doing great!!  Im glad things are looking more positive for you, and you can actually start to get around now!  Good luck with your OS appt and let us know how it goes!!

Happy thoughts!!,
Ginger

Oh and early Happy Halloween to you too!!!

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 01:24:44 AM »
Ginger and Megan,  

Yeah I agree about my PT.  He's getting the 3rd degree tomorrow about his techniques.

Ginger,
I wanted to ask you about that shooting pain. I got up today and for the first time ever I had the worst shooting pain radiating from my screws up my kneecap and down my shin. It's been happening all day long and then it's followed by swelling. Is this what you are experiencing?

Tonight it's only happening when I step a certain way. I heard or read that pain in the screw area means healing, but this much pain makes me wonder.
Also are you having popping? My knee pops all the time and sometimes it hurts so bad I could cry. I'm scared of that too. My OS said I should have all kinds of weird twinges of pain and popping but didn't elaborate too much.

I may end up moving my next OS appt to November sometime. I saw him this month and then I'm not scheduled again until Decemeber....too long with all these questions, huh?

Megan, did you go through these things?

Heather

Offline LuvDirt23

• Regular Poster
  • ~Megan~
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 03:53:30 AM »
Heather~
Thanks about the signature line....I really love that saying  ;D.  Thanks for the kind words of encouragement also!  I really hope the low knee cap is lack of muscles and not something more serious...we will soon find out...can't wait to see the OS actually.  I never asked the PT why I walked funny...I can tell it is a 'safe' way for me to walk and something I really have been working on.  I also realized I wasn't tightening my quads when I took a step with the bad leg.  I could stand on the bad one alone and move my knee cap around.  I suppose my body had figured out how to walk w/o it...which was doing me no good at all.  I still have to make a mental effort to tighten it all the time.  Its funny how your body does bad things like that to you lol.  

I can relate to your PT reefing on you...It is no fun at all and a few times made me have a black-out flash from the sharp and sudden pain.  Once I was to 90 or so, it was much easier and not so painful breaking up the adheasions.  You sound like you are doing absolutely WONDERFUL!  I would def give him h3ll about no ICE!  Iceing so important.  I'm sure you'll let him know how you feel about that  ;).

The popping I had and was horrible!  It happend when I was doing leg extentions.  The PT seemed to think I should keep trying them, but I haven't for weeks.  It hurt too bad and didn't think that kind of pain was doing me any good.  It was popping at night while I was sleeping and rolling over, but as my quads have strengthened it has become less and less.  The shooting pains I did have, but I think it was because my brace compressing the screw site.  They would ache all day when I didn't have the brace on putting pressure on them..but got better once I weaned myself off the brace.  They still do hurt even now.  I would def ask for a sooner appt.  That does seem like a long time to wait.  I don't think I could have made it longer than 4 weeks between appts...I'm very impatient haha

Ginger~  Thank you also.  It is nice to be able to get around on my own...even if it is crippling around haha.  I know how frustrated you feel about it all.  You sound very determined and I'm sure it will all fall into place at your own pace!  The hardest part is just that....waiting and working.  Sorry to hear about your pains while at work.  I can say that even at 14 weeks, I still get swollen and lose some ROM by the end of the day.  It still is hot all the time too.  I hope it was something minor/normal and will only take a few days to get over.  I hope you continue to progress at PT and soon get to the 90 that you've been dreaming about!!

Hope you both...and all...have a wonderful weekend.  Park it by the door w/candy and enjoy all the kids dressed up lol!!  Take care,

Megan  

« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 03:56:24 AM by LuvDirt23 »
R Dislocation 12-96.  R Dislocation 6-03.
TTO 7-21-03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 05:03:28 AM »
Im so glad I have the both of you to compare and contrast recovery!  Its nice to know that I'm not the only one with pain, swelling, and just all the fun stuff that goes along with this type of surgery.  

Heather ~ The pain i was experiencing would happen after a long day on my leg, especially when I had my brace on.  Now that I hardly wear my brace the pain has gone away for the most part!  My OS said that the reason I was having so much pain was because the tendon was actually attaching itself to my tibia, and so as I was starting to get movment back in my leg (the beginning of school this year) it was breaking through the the scar tissue.  It even sounds painful just talking about it.  But I'm also thinking that it had something to do with swelling while wearing my brace, and how the one strap went directly over my screw site.  

I also have 3 screws that have to heal in my tibial tuberosity so that could also still be causing me pain.

As for the pain I had yesterday, I was on my leg running around at work, and stepped on in with a slight twist in the knee.  I almost died, but I couldnt sit down because I was working.  As soon as I got off work (45 mins later) I took off my brace, and my tendon site was really really swolen and hot.  I was getting the same pain I had weeks ago, but this time like you said it shot down my shin and up into my kneecap. Im going to ask my physical therapist about this tomorrow and see what he thinks about all of this.

My knees also pop excessively and constantly have that needs-to-pop ache all the time.  I hate it, but Im thinking that the more ROM I get back, the better it will get!

Im also glad to hear that you're going to tell your PT that you have concerns...and tell him that any good health advisor would tell you that RICE is an importiant part of recovery.  Notice I is ICE...lol.  If your talking to him doesnt help, I would try and opt for another PT!! But im sorry to hear that this has to get in the way of your recovery!!

Megan ~ thanks for your concern!! I dont think what I did yesterday was devistating, since I can walk on it for the most part with no pain.  I think my main problem was that I started PT on Tues and started e-stim for my VMO, which was probably fatigued, and by walking on it and working on Wed it probably just got really tired.  I also stepped funny and taht could have been part of the problem.  The only problems I really have today are when I sit for a long period of time, and then go to get up...things are really slow moving!  I hope things are going well for you, they sound like they are!  If you ever have any questions (even though im about 4 weeks behind you) feel free to ask!!

I hope you both have a great weekend...as for myself, I have 3 halloween parties, a football game (Go OSU!!), and a after football party on sat to go to. Its going to be an eventful weekend!  **Maybe this is why my leg is always so swolen!** But hey isnt that what college is about??  Take care and hopefully I'll hear from you both again soon!!

~Ginger
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 05:03:53 AM by GingerT »

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 11:47:37 AM »
Hi everyone.  This is such a great idea and I hope I can join in too.  I can relate very specifically to so many things I've read.  Unfortunately I'm expecting guests in an hour for a Halloween party and I just got home from work.  Tomorrow and Sunday we are having a Culture Festival at the school in Japan where I work and you would think the prime minister himself was coming.  So much work has gone into this event!  I hope to write back tomorrow night and share my progress, vent some frustration, and even ask a couple of questions.  For now, Happy Halloween, and have a great day.  Abby
LR Feb. 2002 (failed); TTT Aug. 6, 2003

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 06:56:24 PM »
Hi Abby,

Good luck with your upcoming events this weekend and please by all means share with us when you can. It's so very helpful! I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress and hope we can help with any questions you have.

Heather

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 08:50:53 PM »
Hey to all,

Great idea Heather!  Here's where I'm at:

1. 5 week post-op today
2. ROM at 46 degrees (we measured today - that's me laying on my back & flexing as much as I can w/o assistance or the aid of gravity)
3. Still in PT everyday - wall/leg slides, half circles on the stationary bike, 15 min manual manipulation by my PT,  sometimes get a massage, 15 min quad/VMO muscle stim, 15 min interferential current + ice to relieve pain --> done!
4. Vaguely worried about developing RSDS b/c my right leg gets SO cold & is a bit discoloured (dark), but it's improved since yesterday (perhaps that's also b/c it's WARM outside today).
5. My family is now gone & I'm alone with roommates (they're great, but seem to never be home) going on 4 days now.  Taking the bus home from PT - with walking time it takes 45-60 minutes!
6. Staying home & doing ROM exercises every 60-90 minutes for 10-15 minutes - trying to do readings/work during the other 45-75 minutes unless I have to eat, go out, socialize, etc.
7. OS says no braces allowed.  Not feeling much pain anymore (although my PT can get me to reach 6-8 & make me  :'().  Still a lot of swelling in the patella/tubercle area.
8. Get to go to New Orleans Nov 7-13!!!  :D PT says it's okay to get colleagues to help with exercises.  Colleagues are wonderful with the exception of one who thinks I shouldn't go b/c I'm "crippled".   >:(
9. Back in to see my OS Nov 18.
10. Will try walking without crutches this week-end (I can do one quite well).  After trip, would like to try driving again (I have a disabled permit good until the end of January)!

I'm also amazed at how my knee cap is in the right place all the time now!  It's been moved 5-6 cm medially & down 1 cm, and so long as rehab keeps improving without any setbacks I'm going to be very pleased with the results!

Glad to hear that everyone is seeing some improvements (if not daily, at least weekly)!  Knowing that a lot of you are ahead of where I am gives me strength to carry on & push myself a little harder each day.  

Best wishes in the days ahead & thanks for sharing your experiences!
Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 02:44:09 AM »
Hi all

Sorry to be so long in writing.  Everyone sounds pretty positive in their messages and no news for several days hopefully means that things are going well.

3 months post-op.  
ROM at 145 or 150 with lots of help.
My PT now has me lying on my stomach and pushes my knee towards my back to stretch it out.  Is this normal?  ItÕs very painful but he seems to know what heÕs doing....
Bad quad (right) is still 3 cm smaller than good one.  I know IÕm not putting in enough time every day.......
I do leg presses 3 times a week.  CanÕt remember how much just now but IÕll write down my routine today including how much weight because I think thatÕs a very helpful thing to compare with others.
I bike for 25 minutes on level 2 or 3 with the seat up high, always trying to think about proper form.  
I would like to get on the treadmill but am worried that my walking form isnÕt good enough yet.  Maybe IÕll give that a go today.
I do (a few) mini-squats with a swiss ball nearly every day and try to do them putting most of the weight on the bad leg.  These are very painful for both knees though and I really hate them.
I also do mini-lunges twice a week (15 on each leg).
I love swimming and am so anxious to get back into that, but thereÕs no way I can kick properly yet.  I did do some pool walking the other day and highly recommend it if anyone has access to a pool.  Even just walking in the water for half an hour feels like a workout (not so much at the time but later on your body will feel amazing).  We have all been cooped up for so long that even the smallest amount of exercise is an incredible feeling, so please find a pool and walk!  I also put a piece of foam between my knees and ÒswamÓ just using my arms for about 300 meters and that felt great too.
I have been doing a bit of pilates mat work lately which IÕll try and share if anyone is interested.  ItÕs great to get a workout in that doesnÕt just revolve around the quad.  

I can walk almost normally but like, Megan, still need to think about it if I want to do it correctly.  (Keep toe straight, go slowly enough that all the weight is transferred onto the right leg, etc.)
My problem is the result of a basketball injury about 4 years ago.  Came down wrong from a jump and knee swelled, not much pain but lots of swelling.  Went to the doctor and he said not to worry that it was just a sprain.  4 years later and this is where I am.  I havenÕt been able to run or jump since that day.  I couldnÕt Òpush throughÓ my knee which meant I couldnÕt run.  Does that make sense?  After the failed lat. release, I have nearly given up hope of being able to play sports again or even run.  ItÕs like IÕve forgotten how to run and I canÕt imagine doing it again.  My surgeon in America was very positive about this surgery but the guy who did it in New Zealand seemed to be saying before the surgery that I may never be able to run or play sports again.  Maybe he just didnÕt want me to get my hopes up or maybe my knee is in awful shape.  My situation is a little unique because IÕm an American living in Japan with an international insurance company based in Auckland.  So, itÕs been difficult to know which doctor is which country to listen to.  I have to run.  Hope this has been helpful to someone; itÕs been great for me to share this.  Have a great day.

Abby

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 06:18:39 AM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to put in an update before I leave for my trip Friday.  

1. Measured ROM Tuesday (4 days since last measure) & I was up 7 degrees to 53.  That's nearly 2 dg/day... should be nearly at 60 for Friday, which is the minimum I wanted to be at for 6 weeks.  
2. Walking with a cane now, although sometimes I go back to the crutches when I have to hike across campus, mainly b/w physio appts and the lab I work in.  I can walk w/o any assistance, but feel off balance & sometimes like my knee wants to buckle when I take a step.  Pain level jumps up to a 2-5 depending on how much I'm walking during the day.

Abby - my physio had my lay on my stomach & did some similar exercises w/me last week - they felt pretty good.  If you're flexing as much as you are (that's AWESOME - I hope to be there by 3 months!), it's probably an easier position for them to have you in to try & help you get even more ROM back.   Thanks for the tips about swimming.  Haven't heard back from my OS yet about the water, but I'm hoping to maybe do some walking as you suggested this next week b/c I'll be in a hotel w/a pool.   :D  Your global situation sounds complicated - I hope you feel you're getting adequate care having your OS on a different continent.  I'm nervous enough about leaving Canada for the US for a week at 6 weeks post-op, so I can't imagine what it would be like for you.  Hopefully you'll run again someday - I hear the prognosis is usually good if the realignment was done properly & you really work at physio & strengthening the proper muscle groups on a continued basis.  Of course, each surgery is an individual matter, but there's no reason not to hope for the best, right? ;)

Take care & keep up the good work everyone,
Marie
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 07:19:54 PM »
Marie,

Way to go on the ROM improvement!  After cycling and stetching at PT yesterday I got 135 (5 degree improvement). But today without any of the fancy tricks I'd say 90-110. I hope you have a great trip. Don't worry about the States, we're nice people here...lol. Find out about the water because that would be a great exercise to do. Tell your OS about your concern with RSD, I do believe it's treatable if caught early.

Abby,  

Your PT having you on your tummy and them pulling your leg towards your behind is normal. Most PT's do this, however, MINE! Is only working it one way, so if I turn over it isn't nearly at 90! I have my husband help me with this. I have been in PT for so many years, I know I wont hurt myself doing it myself. My PT is a screwball, but we've established that. It is important to work ROM both ways.

Haven't gotten to lunges yet, still braced and in the 'knee buckling' stage. Can do 20 minutes on the bike level 3/4 resistance though.  Recently added STEPS to my routine. OUCH! I also hold onto parallel bars and do the mini squats (no ball) except now I do them one legged. (Holding on to the bar for dear life..lol) Just scared it will buckle which it probably would. PT holds the knee in place just in case.

My gait is really off. PT watches me walks and says it's not too bad. What does he know? He doesn't even use ICE??? LOL!!!!!!! I used to lock my knee and swing at the hip in order to avoid using the quads. I can no longer "lock" my leg now. I can but it doesn't feel locked to me because my other knee hyperextends slightly and this one used to. So when I take a step I look for the hyperextension (to lock the knee) and it's not there so I think that has helped my gait some.

Here are my biggest obstacles right now:

1.  Having trouble working quads to 'failure' because the knee pain stops me. So I'm not getting the most for my quad. PT says this will change....just doesn't seem like it.

2.  After ANY activity the swelling over tibia and screw site is terrible. Looks like I have a boob growing there. I'm serious, it gets HUGE! This also causes pain lessening my activity and ROM.

3.  After PT I can't do anything the rest of the day or the next. Have to rest the knee. We have backed off a lot on the amount I do but it doesn't help. It still gets that way.

Those are my only real concerns at this point. Hope maybe a few of you have been through this and gotten past it and can tell me how it's all going to be alright! Thank to everyone for being there to help each other. It means so much to me that you guys took the time to write all you did. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Heather            

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2003, 05:49:39 AM »
Hi all.  First to Heather, I was so sorry to hear about what happened in rehab last week.  I hope that you can see your OS soon and get it sorted.  Rehab is hard enough without setbacks like that, so know that we are all thinking of you and anxious to hear.

Thanks for reassuring me about my PT bringing my leg up towards my back while I'm lying on my stomach.  So painful but glad to know that it's normal.  

Bit of a tough week here for me.  One day I'm sure it's getting better and that I'm walking normally and the next day it hurts to walk across a room and I feel like I'm getting worse.  

Quick question about using a step.  PT recommended I practice using a step to strenthen quad, but how?  Does anybody else use one for rehab? Also, I'm thinking of buying a balance disk which is supposed to be good for the quad. Has anyone used one of these or could you ask your PT what they think of it?  My Japanese PT has no idea what I'm talking about.  Thanks very much.  Have a good day, Abby

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2003, 09:56:11 PM »
Abby,

I am currently doing steps in rehab. Just practice putting the bad leg on the step above and then pulling your weight up. Both feet will end up on the same step. Then go back down with the good leg and repeat. My PT has me going back down with my bad leg and I'm not really ready for it. Also make sure you are not leaning over because then you don't get the full benefit of the exercise. That's my little way of cheating...lol.  

As far as the balance disk, I don't have an answer. I am too weak to even think about that right now. I did use it in the past with other surgeries and it works the stabilizer muscles wonderfully. I would focus on the quad first, get it strong then do the disk. Just my opinion though.

Don't know whether I psoted this on this thread or not but my PT popped my knee and said it was an adhesion. That was Friday of last week and I have had no improvement. I'm seeing the OS tomorrow and have cancelled PT for the rest of the week. I'm hoping it is normal and nothing to worry about. I'll post back when I hear.

Thinking of you all and wishing you good knee days!

Take care,
Heather

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 06:51:42 AM »
Hi TTT/TTO friends,

Heather - sorry to hear about the step backwards in rehab.  I hope your OS can help you out when you see him, and that your PT does more good than harm in the future - have you stopped going this week b/c you're worried about further damage or about the competency of your PT.  Either way, let us know how things go.

I'm now back from my trek in New Orleans... I was at this massive conference with 25,000 neuroscientists (yeah, I'm one of them).  Anyways, I just wanted to say that walking for 4-8 hours a day (I used my crutches for support, but tried to put full pressure on the fixed leg as much as possible) was definitely therapeutic.  At first I thought I was insane, then I got upset a couple times at some of the other students for walking too fast ahead of me and making it look like I wasn't with them, but eventually I came around.  I think my OS did a really good job b/c I'm not feeling much pain, and I can already tell that the 'bad leg' now has the potential to be my new 'good leg'.   ;D  However, there's a really big bruise under my knee on the back of my leg, though... has anyone else experienced this?  Physio says it's probably from blood pooling there - isn't that bad?  wouldn' t that mean a clot could form there?

I'll get my PT to measure where I'm at for ROM in the morning - I'm guessing I'm about 70+ dg, though.    I see the OS on Tuesday - kinda nervous b/c I don't know what to expect, but hopefully it's better than the last visit where he yelled at me.

Speaking of yelling, I am now known as "crutches" on Bourbon St.  ::)
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 12:51:53 PM »
Marie,

Welcome back hun! I think the bruising is normal. Your body usually reabsorbs the blood, but check with your OS if you are concerned. I think you are probably out of the woods for DVT since you are mobile, but check. Better safe than sorry on that one.

I didn't go back to PT because for one thing I was in pain and I wanted my OS to see me without any PT induced swelling. Funny how I wrote that?!?! LOL! But what I meant was the swelling caused by the physical activities.  This way he could better evaluate my knee without it being huge.    

Turns out I have a partial tear in my quad tendon, yet again!!!!!! I just had that reattached along with my TTT in September. That was the second time it's been messed with. I can't do a SLR at all now but if I can in the next two weeks then I should be fine. If I can't then I guess it will have to be repaired.

I don't really blame the PT because I had "tweaked" it in the same location before then. I posted somewhere about that. That was my first set back. This one however will be a major one as I can only rest it for 2 weeks and see how I do. I have to restrict ROM again, so GREAT!  :'(

Here is where I WAS though: ROM forced to 135-140 by PT. Riding bike with level 3/4 resistance for 20 minutes. 1 Legged Mini squats-PT assisted and me holding on for dear life. Brace unlocked to 70 and sometimes 90! Doing stairs somewhat. SLR were a breeze and my quads were coming back....slowly but I can see anything through this atrophy! So all that I AM giving up and probably going to lose. Okay enough about me, I feel like crying.

I'm glad your trip went well and you think this surgery was beneficial!!!!!! Funny you earned the nickname "crutches" mine was "sticks" LOL! I was worried about pain for you, but you seem to have had that under control. I'm really impressed with how far you came being on your own like that. Your OS will be impressed too. Did you get all the accomodations you needed?  Please update us on the bruise and how the OS visit goes. Wishing you luck!

Take care,
Heather        

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2003, 01:51:09 AM »
Heather,  
Your good attitude is going to get you through this setback.  You were doing so well and you don't deserve this but hopefully it will repair itself and in a few weeks you can get back to where you were quickly and then continue on.   I also feel like crying for you just out of sympathy.  We are here for you.

Marie, New Orleans is one of my favorite U.S. cities.  Glad you had a great time down there.  I  had bruising under the knee cap about 2 and 1/2 weeks after the operation which looked awful, but mine went away within a few days.  

I'm now 3 months post op and have been able to bike for about the past 6 weeks.  Just a week ago I noticed a slight popping/clicking noise above and to the right corner of the kneecap.  Not every time I pushed through but almost every time.  I asked my PT about it yesterday and he said he didn't think it was the joint, but rather the muscle getting too tight.  (I think that's what he said, he doesn't speak any English and I can't understand 100% of what he says.) I only feel this when biking, not walking.   He said to stretch out that muscle better before and after biking.  It was still doing it this morning when I cycled to work.  Does anyone know what this could be or have any advice for me?

Take care of yourself Heather.  All the best, Abby

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2003, 09:18:33 PM »
I am about 3 months post-op from my TTT and medial ligament reconstruction.  I did 110dg at my 8 week visit and my doc has prescribed NO formal PT.  I'm doing exercises at home.  I'm now nearly able to bend the leg completely, can go upstairs with a rail but still coming down them one at a time unless they are short.  But overall, I'm pleased.  I am having some pain around the kneecap though - doctor thinks it's still surgical pain - but I wonder if you guys are still having any pain with that?  I also get some pain at the site where the new ligament is - I have to sleep with a pillow under it.  But I'm not getting pain from the TTT site although once in a while I can feel the screw.  I am wondering why I don't have to go through PT and whether or not any of you are doing anything different there than I am at home?
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2003, 01:16:10 AM »
Hey Kimby,

I'm not sure why your OS wouldn't suggest therapy after your surgery. How strong were your quads when you went in for surgery? I had extreme atrophy for about 1.5 years prior to mine so mine was more than necessary and will be for some time to come.

After my scopes years ago, I didn't have PT because my quads were so strong. I went anyway to try and strengthen my VMO to help tracking but it wasn't required.

I'm not as far post op as you but still have pain in the kneecap area as you do. Also at times in the tibia where the screw site is. I just found out my quad tendon has been partially torn again so the kneecap pain could be from that. What exercises are you doing at home? I'm glad you are pleased with the result. Keep us posted on how you are doing and the exercises you add to your routine.

Take care,
Heather

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2003, 02:40:04 AM »
I just got a reply on another part of the website where someone else said her OS said no PT either - same reason as mine - they are concerned about therapists getting a little over-zealous and re-injuring the TTT sites after surgery.  As for home exercises, I have a 12 inch rubber ball - I put that under my thigh just above the knee and press (with my thigh) 100 times (both legs).  Then I put the ball between my thighs and squeeze 100 times (about 3-5 seconds per squeeze).  I also do leg lifts with the thigh muscle tightened, front, side and back, 10 times each way both legs.  I had been doing 300 leg bends per day post surgery, but since I now have nearly a full bend, I do about 10-20 full (as much as I can) bends for 30 seconds per bend.  I also do one leg stands, 30 seconds each, on a small trampoline (try it - it's really hard even on a good leg - insto thigh strengthening).  I really am pleased with the results.  My new scars look better already than my old scars did.  I am concerned about the knee pain, but I guess I ought to have a bit more faith in the doc as he's been right so far.  

Thanks for the encouraging note - I'm glad to see others understand - it took a long time to find a doctor who would even believe that I had pain despite the horrendous noises my knees made.

Kim
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 01:04:21 AM »
Hi Kim,

I'm about 3.5 months post-op from a TTT, and I'm going seeing a PT once a week now, mainly to work on ROM: he pushes and I cringe.  Otherwise I'm doing exercises at home: mini-squats, SL raises, and just recently using a balance disk.  I'm going to a sports club 3 times a week and doing leg presses and using a stationary bike, although for the past week or so I've noticed a strange clicking noise above the kneecap, so I'm going to stop biking for a week and see if it gets better on its own, otherwise I guess I'll try and see a doctor.  Like you, I'm managing stairs slowly with a rail.  I'm not sure what you mean about pain aroundthe kneecap. A constant sharp pain, dull ache, or only when you touch it or are exercising it?

All the best, Abby

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2003, 01:35:52 AM »
Abby,

I also have the clicking in my kneecap and my knee always pops to the inside. I am not sure if my newly messed up quad tendon is the culprit there. If you do go to the OS about it, please let us know what he says. Keep up the good workouts! Sounds like you are really getting there!

Take care,
Heather

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 02:52:05 AM »
Hi Abby & Heather -

The pain around the knee feels mostly like a soft-tissue sort of pain - sore, but not unbearable or anything.  It doesn't hurt to massage it or anything, which is mainly what I've been doing.  It might have more to do with the new ligament he put in - he mentioned that it would be tight and kind of hard for a while.  It's no longer hard, but probably still kind of tight.  I ended up using a cadavor ligament - the other option was a third surgery and taking one from my thigh.  I figured two surgeries at once was plenty to deal with.  

I think that's why the doc thinks it's surgical pain - but the clicking, grinding and etc is gone.  Heather, I am glad to hear you quit riding the bike for a while - strengthening the thigh is a good thing, but not at the cost of ending back up where you began, you know?  

Glad to hear there are others in the same boat - I wish I had written sooner before my surgery - it would have alleviated a lot of my concerns.

Thanks, all!

Kim
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 09:51:48 PM »
Hey there,

Quick question:  how long before y'all got to 90 dg ROM... I'm not quite there and it's been 7+ wks w/PT everyday. I'm getting annoyed at not being able to sit at places like theatres pushing 2 months after the surgery!  I see the OS tomorrow... I'm worried he's going to suggest arthrofibrosis debridgement or something of the likes (NOOOOOOO!).  Surprisingly, walking & gait are good (slow, but I can go w/o assistance, and can even stand on the right leg now!).  I'm thinking PT could have pushed me farther, but I know that there's no way I could've done more work on my own at home, so maybe I just feel like I'm having a really slow recovery b/c of all the work initially done & the way I kept my leg so straight for the first 3 1/2 weeks.   Any ideas folks?

I think I'm just scared that my OS will yell at me again. >:(

Marie
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Di

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • this too shall pass
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 07:55:14 AM »
Hello,

It is great to read that everyone is making some progress. Figure I would add what I was doing.

I am almost 3 month post op from a Marquette TTT and can do the following
Rom without pain is 120
Rom forcing with pain is 130
I am still having trouble weight bearing but am praticing with one crutch now.
Started driving again last week with help getting in and out of the car.  Stairs are a big problem for me
I go to PT twice a week for about 45 minutes.  I can do the bike on level 2 for about 10 minutes, started that today.  We pratice me walking with her help and she does various stretches with my leg.   She has gone fairly easy on me when I read what other people do.  
However I home, I do about 120 leg lifts, three different ways using 2lbs weights, should be able to upgrade to 3 lbs soon.  I also force my knee back to increase my rom and break up the horrrible scar tissue.  I do get some popping now but she does not seem worried about it and is glad that my knee is cracking because that mean I am breaking up the scar tissues.  
I am at a -15 when i try to straighten the knee which is what we are working on more now.  I also stand on my tip toes holding to things to get my muscles working in the back of the leg.  I will just be glad when I can finally be cleared to go back to work but the OS won't until i can walk without any aid.  I don't wear a brace, went right from the imoblizer to nothing.  It is hard to remember to tigthen the knee when walking but it does help.  I hope everyone keeps getting better.

Oh, my PT also has me lay on my stomach and I bend the knee back.  This is one the hardest one so far to increase in Rom.

Di

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 10:31:29 AM »
Hi Di, Welcome and thanks for sharing your progress.  It seems like you're doing well. You mentioned cracking and popping. Is that when you're walking around or when you're doing a knee extension?  When I occasionally try and straighten my knee out from a sitting position (which I guess I just do to stretch it out because I don't do them as a part of rehab anymore after I just refused to one day) the popping noise is sickening.  It hurts me just to hear it.  Can anyone relate?  I'm sure it's worse than before the surgery....could that be scar tissue breaking up or is it cartilage damage???

I know what you mean about how painful it is lying on your stomach and having the pt force your leg towards your back. Brutal.

Hope you're all having good days.  Abby

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 09:38:24 AM »
Hi again,

Is everyone doing ok?  Are you posting in another place or maybe everyone is just kinda going through this bit on their own.  I'm at nearly 4 months and would love to say that I'm doing great.  BUT....

ROM is about 150 degrees with help, so that's not too bad I guess.  The bad quad has only gotten 1/2 cm bigger in the last 6 weeks so there's still 2 and 1/2 cm difference between the two.  I have no idea how that compares to anyone else, but I assume that's not a lot of improvement and I need to work a lot harder.

Still doing mini-squats, slr with ankle weights (usually placed around my quad), mini-lunges, and biking on a low speed a couple of times a week.

I've been walking every day for 35 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.  But there's still a considerable amount of pain....pressure especially around the medial part of the knee cap.  Unfortunately, similar to what it felt like pre-surgery.  I still can't swim.  Guess there's not enough strength in the quad to push down.  

Trying to maintain a positive attitude and I keep telling myself that it takes a very long time to recover and that if I can get some more strength in the quad that the pain will lessen when I put pressure on the knee.............

All the best, Abby

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2003, 09:51:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just checking back in to see how everyone is progressing. I've been gone a while. Abby, it looks as if you are doing great! Unfortunately, the time frame I was given for getting the quad back was 2.5 years, so it IS a slow progress but you have the right attitude. Mine is over 3 inches smaller than the other now. Keep up the great work. I really wish I had great news to share. Here's the latest:

I now have swelling beneath the kneecap, right over the tibia and going towards the lateral side that is out of control. My OS said before when it was a little swollen that it was localized swelling over the bone....it gets so big now it's unreal. Very painful as well. It almost looks like a jumbo sized egg sticking out. I know something is wrong once again.  I see my OS in two weeks so we'll see what he can make of it.

I also have terrible screw pain up and down the shin. My progress is going backwards now. This new lump and screw pain is just too much. I am basically quitting. I will never be the same, I just need to accept that. My quad is still torn and is more painful than it was when it was done. I think it's torn more. I can't do a SLR still so I know that it needs attention. I just can't take this anymore. I'm going on two years of nothing but pain and NO activity. I'm going nuts. Oh well. Woah is me, right? Nobody seems to have had a TTT for patella baja so there is nobody I can ask. At least it's better than with baja. I do have to say that.

Hope everyone else is getting along MUCH better than I am. I don't mean to sound so negative, I just needed to vent I guess. Good luck to all and please keep posting as to where you are on the recovery road. Thanks for listening.

Heather

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2003, 11:08:02 PM »
Hi Heather,

You poor dear!  I'm sorry to hear that you're so discouraged these days.  You've been one of the ones usually so chipper and friendly and willing to offer some warm words of advice.  No, it's not fair that you haven't improved in leaps & bounds, but I'm glad to hear that you're happier to be rid of the patellar baja at least.

I can sympathize with the swelling... it's 9 1/2 weeks post-op for me now & I have a lump in the EXACT same location as you that started only last week.  It seems pretty intrusive and is hard to try and push ROM farther b/c I'm scared that it'll pop or something.  Also, today we had our first really cold winter weather complete with snowfall... I think the screws in my leg feel the cold and HATE it because they were throbbing something awful when I got into work this morning.  I finally learned to walk straight and now I'm limping in pain!   >:(

Other than that, I've actually seen a little improvement in my knee these past few days.  I started going to a new PT just one week ago.  She is so gentle and REALLY makes me work against my own strength & resistance rather than forcing me.   :) I think ROM is at about 90-95... not where I want it to be, but I'll take whatever I can get for now.

Started driving this week.   Going to PT 3x week, back to work f/t, not using any walking aids (although I'm still at work now and REALLY wish I had my cane to get me home).      Still no brace, next OS visit in January.  Going to try pool-walking (probably tomorrow morning).  Otherwise, half-circles on bicycle, SLR with muscle stim at physio (I do them at home, too, but can't get the last 5 degrees of extension without the stim), squats & wall slides.  Learned a new tip for wall slides - point the toes out slightly laterally and lift toes up pressing the heel into the wall to give a little added stretch.  Can also do the same thing sitting in a chair - toes pointed out laterally & lifting toes while pushing heel into the ground.

Anyways, I'm gonna brave the trip home.  Although my car is sitting in my driveway, my chauffeur friends & relatives are currently all out of town.

Hope some of you other folk are having a better day!
Marie
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2003, 01:48:26 AM »
Heather,

I know, I haven't had a TTT but as an honorary-thinking-about-it-and-probably-gonna-do-it TTT person, I feel like I can give you *some* advice, at least about the swelling that has you so worried.

I really think you should call your OS's PA and talk about it--there are several possible culprits, all of them treatable, so please don't freak and think the surgery has failed!  I will tell you what my doctor told me when I asked about the grotesque, egg-shaped swelling that I ALWAYS have above my knee.  He said that the knee capsule can only contain so much fluid; when there's more, as in after surgery or injury, it has to push out where ever it can.  The location that the fluid bulges out varies in person to person--but the place it pops out is the always weakest part of each person's particular knee capsule.  Some have it in back; some laterally, some above, some below.  So is it possible you are simply seeing a symptom of swelling in the form of this goose egg below your knee?  Mine always bulges out above the knee for some reason.  Kind of ironic, isn't it, that I have patellar tendon issues and my swelling is all above the knee, while you have quad tendon issues and all your swelling is below the knee!  Just goes to show you that knees aren't predictable.

Other possibilities?  I'm sure the rest of the TTT'ers can comment much better than I--but it seems logical to allow for the possibility of pre-patellar bursitis (either on its own or from the screws)--what has the OS said?  The hardware in there could be really irritating everything, and you just need some ice and rest to cool it off.  That would be a best-case scenarion, wouldn't it?  Swelling can be dealt with--My OS put me on oral steroids, and they worked like a dream.  But if you're even thinking about more surgery to fix the quad tendon, stay away from the Prednisone!  

Have you been put on Celebrex?  Vioxx?  Mobic?  I went on Vioxx about 2 months post op the first time, and it made my tummy ache and gave me the runs.  I went on Celebrex a few weeks later and took it for about 6 weeks.  I then told my OS I was still having lots of pain, and so I went off the Celebrex....BIG MISTAKE!!  I didn't realize it, but the Celebrex was taking my pain from about a 6/10 to a 3/10.  So after a few days off the stuff, I started getting more and more intense pain...after I went back on, things settled down.  This has happened several times in the last few years as I had to go off the meds before surgery--the pain is always much worse starting about 4-5 days after going off the Celebrex, so I have to assume that it's doing something, even if I do still have a lot of pain every day.  It could be worse, I guess.  Don't you love those silver linings...?

I know all about the up and down days--you're just having a bad patch.  I wonder if the whole knee isn't just inflamed and irritated, which would explain why you can't do an SLR?  Of course, the quad tendon is a factor, but have you actually had an MRI of it to confirm the sucker is torn?  Maybe that would help, along with a long heart-to-heart with your OS.

I know how tough it is to have your life changed by a series of surgeries.  Family tries to understand, but they don't get it and they are frustrated that they can't fix things.  Your doctor, you and the PT are the only ones who can (different PT than Mr. ROM, by the way!) so maybe you just need to all put your heads together and come up with a new, slightly altered game plan?  I can't tell you what a difference it's made in my life to a) find a competent PT, b) get into full-time pain management so I can work and live my life, and c) explore the complementary treatments like acupuncture, myo-fascial release, weekly massage, and so forth.  These things haven't fixed my knee, but they've helped me live with it.  They have improved my quality of life, and that's what medicine is here for!  If only they could fix my back--and quickly--but that's a whole new story.  (Finally threw my back out with my funky walk and posture, so I had a flare of sciatica which is not something I'm eager to repeat!)

Anyway, take care and keep posting.  Writing all your fears down allows you to deal with them and overcome them.  It's therapeutic all by itself, and should help you deal with all the emotional issues that come with physical torture from your knees.

(((HUGS)))

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Abby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2003, 06:35:02 AM »
Thank you Heather M.  Your advice means more than you can know to all of us but especially I'm sure to Heather.  I also wanted to write and give some advice to her but I just don't know nearly as much as you do.  So thank you for writing.  I think you had some really encouraging and hopeful things to say.  

Heather we are all thinking of you and willing things to get better.  You must be going stir crazy with the lack of exercise.  Is there any way that you can get to a pool and use your arms to propel yourself through the water?  Once you get in the pool, you don't need to use your legs at all if you put a float between your legs.  I promise it will feel amazing and freeing.

Hang in there, Abby

Offline GingerT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2003, 05:48:34 AM »
Heather...I am so sorry to hear that things are not going so well for you. I wish i could help! I think talking to your OS about your discouraging feelings would probably be the best thing, but again, Im so sorry!  :-/

I am actually doing very well. I am now at 13 weeks post op and feeling great. I am at 117 dgs ROM and I am so ready to stop having physical therapy!!  

Im sorry it has been so long since I have posted anything.  School has been absoultely crazy!!  But I hope everyone is doing great, and Heather, I hope everything works out for the best!

Take care,
Ginger

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2003, 06:07:21 AM »
Ginger,
Thanks for the good wishes. I can always use them! It's great to hear you are doing so well. Post when you can, it's so nice to read uplifting posts when people are going through rough spota. Kind of gives them a little light with their own issues. At least is does me so continue to share when you are able. Keep up the great work!

Hugs,
Heather