Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: No Diagnosis after 8 Months  (Read 770 times)

Offline Kelino~

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
No Diagnosis after 8 Months
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
Hi knee people  :)
After referring to this forum many times over the last few months I finally decided to get my feet wet and join up.

I live in Scotland and I'm relying fully on the NHS.
In May last year I landed awkwardly and full force in a crossed leg position on top of my feet (if you can imagine that) it caused my knees to shoot up and out at a sharp angle and all I heard was an almighty crack. That's when all the trouble started.

I visited my doctor after the fleshy part in the arch of my foot started to swell and become irritated - he was baffled and sent me home with some cream. After a week my knees were swollen and painful though I could still bend them well enough. I remember at this point making the mistake of thinking it would settle down on it's own.. but after kneeling on a hard surface I felt a definite shifting in my knees. At this point my doctor told me I had housemaids knee and all would be well again in two weeks.

Since then, little by little, I have lost the ability to bend or fully straighten my legs. My knees look too bulky on the inside and they feel like they're too high up. I now can't stand long enough to clean my teeth without discomfort and spend ever spare second with my legs propped up (if I don't then my lower legs and feet balloon out).
Anyway, from May to December I've seen someone from orthopaedics and rheumatology, had three lots of blood tests, an xray, and in november they finally gave me an mri- all came back negative. Since December my knees have now started to give out - even with my slow careful movements.

Now rheumatology are sending me to physio. Apart from being terrified that physio will leave me in an even worse state I'm now worried after talking to my doctor that should physio fail, I'll be left like this for eternity. I asked her if I'd be given scope surgery should physio not bring about any results, and she straight out said no - absolutely not.
I'm in my early thirties and have basically been told that I must live like this for the rest of my days. I really don't know what my rights are, or what to do next!
If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful.  :'(

Offline Suzinthecity1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: No Diagnosis after 8 Months
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
Hi,
 I am so sorry about your situation.  I don't know what it is, but I was fixed after 10 months of being in a similar situation. In my case all the docs couldnt figure it out - limited bend/couldnt straighten - told me the same thing - you may have to live with this or worse (lose leg), but it ends up it was arthrofibrosis (excessive scar tissue).  I found help.  You DO NOT have to live with this.

K Donald Shelbourne fixed me.  He is known for fixing the knees no one else can fix. 
I know you are in Scotland (I lived in Edinburgh for a year actually  :))...but I would at least call there.  They can discuss your situation over the phone and at least give you some clue to what it could be. 

http://www.aclmd.com/
Good luck,
Suz

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: No Diagnosis after 8 Months
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
Hey Kelino I am also in Scotland and it took my doctors a year and a half to diagnose a ruptured acl, the mri was fine apart from a little wear and tear, but when the pain and instability didnt improve with time my OS decided to scope the knee and thats when the rupture was found, from what i have read on here there are loads of folk whos MRI's have come back clear and have ended up with some problem that didnt show up.
My advice to you is push for a scope and if your doctor is not happy to do it then get a second oppinion, I also think going to a good physio will help a lot if nothing else it will help to stregnthen the muscles round the knee, which could help the pain your having.
I hope things improve for you soon take care
Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

support