Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible plica removal following ACL recon - help?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline jellybaby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible plica removal following ACL recon - help?
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
I had an ACL revision done a year ago and am still having problems. I had another MRI scan as my surgeon thought i had a media meniscus tear but it didnt show one however when i had my follow up appointment the physio said she thought i had a plica which was causing all the pain and popping/clunking/snapping i get.  She could feel something on the medial side of my joint line and sais she thinks its 'flicking' over my bone.

Im having a scope in april to see whether this is in fact the problem, my surgeon wasnt so sure but im inclined to agree with the physio as i could definatley feel something and it would make sense as this feeling and pain has been there all along so had it been a meniscus tear it would have been missed on 3 MRI's and surgeries which i think is very unlikely!

I havent been told much about it other than if they find a plica they will shave it off. Has anyone had this done recently? Im wondering how long i will be off work for and whether i will walk out or will need crutches for a short time again. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Possible plica removal following ACL recon - help?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
Hi Jellybaby,
Check out emergRN's posts she just did the ACLr in August and Plica excision in December.
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:58:37 PM »
Hi jellybaby,
Gee, your story sounds familiar.  I had ACLr in August, and developed the medial knee pain and clicking about 6 weeks later.  MRI did not show anything.  My OS thought I might have had a medial meniscus tear that did not show up.  Anyway, I had my arthroscopy Dec.23rd, and he found a medial plica, as well as a frayed lateral meniscus.  I can tell you that having 2 procedures in 4 months was difficult, as I did not have my muscles built up.  The recovery has been very slow, but I was warned about that prior to having the procedure.  I would not think that your recovery will be as difficult if you are 1 year post op.  The pain from the plica surgery was not that bad.  The worst part of it was calf pain.  I had a lot of bruising.  I am still having swelling issues, and my "click" is still there.  The "crazy" pain I was having prior to the scope is gone.  I was off work for 4 weeks following the plica surgery.  Good Luck with it all.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline jellybaby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »
Yea my doc said 4 weeks recovery but he didnt say whether that was 4 weeks off work or 4 weeks till im back to normal?! I am only going to get about 3 days off as i had so much time off for my revision and i need to keep the peace. How long till you were back driving?

Im hoping they do find a plica and they can just shave it off and then it be done with. I originally had the aclr back in 2006 but had to have it redone last year as my graft stretched. When i orginally injured it i had a very heavy trauma to the medial side of my knee and the pain along my jointline and all around my medial side has been there since the original injury. I have a lax MCL too as this was torn in the first instance (torn 3 times in total now) but healed on its own. If its not this or scar tissue (doing a similar thing moving over my bone/getting caught) then he isnt sure what it is and said he might not be able to fix it. Going down stairs or downhiill in general is a nightmare and it does so many weird movements that are not normal! Do you think it is likley its a plica?

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »
Jellybaby,
I used crutches around the house for one day, but if I were out around I would take them.  I had the procedure Dec. 23rd, and I drove my car Christmas day.  It is nothing like the ACLr in that respect.  I definitely needed the month off.  This is my 3rd week back now, and I am still having swelling issues.  Plica can mimick other knee problems, so I guess it is a wait and see thing.  I actually mentioned plica to my surgeon about a month before the procedure, and he really didn't think that was the case.  I was right.  When I was doing a bit of research on medial knee pain, I found the symptoms for plica syndrome.  It matched what I was feeling exactly.  As I stated in my last post, I don't know if you would need a month off or not.  I had back to back procedures which slowed down my recovery.  I guess it would also depend on what type of work you do.  I am currently at a desk job, but if I had to work 12 hour shifts in ER, I would still be off.  Generally, from what I have read, the recovery for plica is similar to a straight up arthroscopy, but then again that is text book recovery.  Take Care ;D

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014