Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI cartilage replacement success?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline runfun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI cartilage replacement success?
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:36:48 AM »
I am a very active 43 year old who has have lost all the cartilage in a 2cm squared area of the trochlea. I has surgery for a meniscal tear a year ago, but when under the knife they discovered the problem was not a meniscal tear but damaged cartilage in the trochlea, and the surgeon did a debriment. This has left me with a significant defect. One surgeon is recommending micro fracture, which does not seem worth it to me, as it will not enable me to be active. The other alternative is MACI or ACI surgery, but one surgeon is saying ACI may help me, while 2 surgeons have said ACI does not work.  My dilemma is that I am not in much pain currently, unless I try to run or do any impact, which is excruciatingly painful. I would love to be active again - I have been active all my life and am finding it very hard mentally not being able to compete. I would very much like to hear experiences from anyone who has has ACI or MACI surgery in the trochlea, and its success.

Offline kneesurgeonvictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MACI cartilage replacement success?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »
Some of the information you may find useful for the MACI operation is:
1) Potentially a 3 stage operation with third operation being needed to trim still growing implant or to remove failed graft
2) Potential cost of cartilage harvest, second stage implant and possible third operation is around 20K
3) No long term results yet for MACI - still currently experimental.
4) MACI requires open knee surgery, which carries more risk than keyhole surgery
5) Potential loss of mobility if anything goes wrong
6) if you slip and fall onto knee (on ice, slippery for e.g.) your graft may be lost
7) MACI not ideal for surfaces that experience shearing forces e.g. trochlea

Having decided to proceed with the first stage operation without any prior experience of knee surgery and no knee pain to speak of - just a blocked knee - and then decided not to proceed with second operation for various reasons, I found I was completely unprepared for the mind numbing excruciating pain after the cartilage harvest, and the devastating effect on my social life, family life, work life and bank balance that the operation loss of mobility brought. In undergoing the MACI operation, you could find you are in a worse state than before - I certainly was.

The surgeons who visit these pages wouldn't appreciate me saying so, but the devastating new symptoms I experienced after the MACI first stage operation were something I would describe as a visitation from hell.