Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Frustrating MRI results  (Read 1053 times)

Offline navyknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • My Knee Surgery Blog
Frustrating MRI results
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
I picked up the report from my MRI yesterday.  I have been having pain and instability for several years, been through 3MRIs and 4 OSs in four states with no results.  I have just transferred from the ship and am hoping to find an OS who could actually give me some answers and put me on a path toward fixing my knee.  My GP examined my knee and thought I had mild/moderate instability, some patella mal-tracking, and medial instability.  The MRI report diagnosed mild/moderate chondramalacia behind my kneecap and degeneration (posibly indicative of a tear) in my medial meniscus.  The report was very vague, and I fear that this is another step towards getting no answers.  I see the OS on Friday, and I am hoping that he at least looks at the MRI and gives me some answers.  Does chondromalacia and meniscus tear explain my suymptoms?  Anything I should ask the OS?  Thanks.
18 years of deteriorating knee
R knee ACLr with Allograft and Meniscus Repair 3/15/11

Offline Overdidit

• Regular Poster
Re: Frustrating MRI results
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Go see a orthopedic surgeon and push for a scope. 

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »
Actually, I don't know that a scope will tell you everything you need to know about your instability and tracking issues. Check over on the patella forum. There are some x-rays and CT scans that do a better job at looking at why your patella isn't tracking well. Look for Crankerchick's posts for more details.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
I agree with smillie in not necessarily pushing for a scope right away. I would first really press the OS for an initial idea of why you're having the pain and instability and whether surgery has a good chance at alleviating these issues. I would also push to have some kind of treatment plan in place that doesn't necessarily use surgery as a first resort and instead that utilizes out-of-the-box thinking to get your knee back on track. This is coming from someone who has had knee pain and instability and after a scope, has had absolutely no long-term success. Try to go in with an open mind and only go to surgery as an option if it is the best option agreed upon between yourself and the OS. Good luck!

Offline gooner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
Hi,
I'm also getting frustrated with MRIs that don't really provide a great deal of detail or focus on what the problem may be with pain in knee cap and degenerating condition of cartilage.

However in my previous experience post bilateral scope in 2008, the strength and stability of my knee(s) was improved significantly by understanding the multitude of muscles groups involved in the functions of your knees. I had PT exercises for calfs, quads, glutes, itb, vmo. The strength was built up over a few months in small progressions, noticeable improvements keep you going as does take some discipline to make sure the exercises are done properly and frequently.

At one extreme (the start point) I went from complete instability standing on one leg to being able to do small knee bends then eventually a short leap landing on the previously weak knee under full control (the end point). The difference was astounding.

I think I'd be getting a good PT to work with you and checking out the above muscle groups on web myself to make sure all that side of things was in a good shape before going under the scope. Clearly not going to fix a tear but may improve things and help with recovery post op also. All the best.

Offline navyknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My Knee Surgery Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:10:11 AM »
Went to the OS today...and I finally got an answer that made sense!!  He did a thorough examination, asked a lot of questions and actually listened to my answers, and reviewed my MRI.  Final verdict: chronic laxity in my ACL and torn medial meniscus.  ACLr and meniscus repair to follow, schedule TBD.  I am not excited about surgery, but actually getting to an answer and a path to getting better.
18 years of deteriorating knee
R knee ACLr with Allograft and Meniscus Repair 3/15/11