Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any geeks with back problems?  (Read 648 times)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Any geeks with back problems?
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »
A family friend of ours is having what her doctors are telling her is sciatic nerve pain in her back. She's just had ACL reconstruction and all of the sitting and lying around is NOT helping her cause. She's miserable. She asked if I know of any forums for getting help and doctor recommendations for back pain like I was able to find for my leg (go kneegeeks!). So, yeah, do any of you know of a site like this one, except for back pain, that I could pass on to my friend?

Thanks in advance.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any geeks with back problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »
Wow,

I don't even want to contemplate that. I've had problems with lower back pain since I was 19, and I have to say, I think it probably ranks with the worst pain imaginable. My greatest fear for the last few months is that my back starts acting up while in the midst of these knee troubles. Because if I does, I won't even be able to make it to the toilet.

I'm sorry that I can't recommend a back forum, as my back always took care of itself after a good amount of time. I will say that once it is bearable, my experience has always been that walking helps it to recover. I'm not sure how long the ACL surgery requires one to be non-weight bearing, but as soon as it is advisable, movement is a good idea. I'll also strongly suggest against any surgery for it, no matter how unbearable it might seem at the moment. Back surgery has an extremely low rate of success, and in some cases, can cause a permanent loss of function to the legs. Bed rest should cause the symptoms to abate somewhat, but as I said, a full recovery is less likely or will at least take longer without being able to walk.

I know that there is an e-book about low back pain at saveyourself.ca. I haven't read it myself, but I can vouch for Paul Ingraham's research talents. I'll also suggest the book 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back by Esther Gokhale. Again, I haven't read it myself, but I have seen many rave reviews.

Best of luck to your friend.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Any geeks with back problems?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:24:23 AM »
Thanks for the book recommendations! I will pass them on to her. Her knee surgery was I think just around thanksgiving so she should be mobile now, hopefully she is doing some kind of exercises and stretching. But I guess being that it is believed to be sciatic in nature, I'm not sure what her doctor's approach is.

I know 5 years ago at age 24 I injured my back and it was just as you've said: the worst pain imaginable. Apparently I either agravated a bulging disc or I did something to cause the disc damage while playing softball. I just know it hurt to exist, literally. Something as simple as sitting up in bed could bring tears to my eyes. It was awful. Me in my infinite wisdom tried to continue with softball and bowling through the pain--not a good idea, as the pain just radiated to my hip. I finally sat myself down from activities--even sitting hurt! It took about 3 months for that awful pain to subside and well over a year for it to be almost normal. It still bothers me now but I can usually maintain it very well with exercising and stretching.

I used a wedge pillow after my surgeries to help keep the back pain in check since I was sitting and lying around so much.

Thsnks for the references, I will pass them on to her.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:26:18 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor