Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus Transplant  (Read 10756 times)

Offline chiltwig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Meniscus Transplant
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a meniscus transplant in March of 2010 performed in Boston by Dr. Kai Mithoefer. Unfortunately, I'm 18 months post op with continued pain and swelling. Apparently I have a small amount articular cartilage damage on the lateral side, a bone spur, scar tissue, and the transplant (while in good shape) is slightly "misplaced" and needs to be moved slightly to improve my results. I'm wondering if anyone has had this challenge and if so did you do another surgery post meniscus transplant.

I've gone out to Vail for an opinion from the Steadman clinic docs, and I am planning to have a revision surgery with Dr. Robert LaPrade. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc about LaPrade/ my situation/ a good outcome?? I'm a 29 year old female, not over weight, and have been doing PT to increase muscle strength. That seems to be helping. I really hope I don't need a knee replacement when I'm in my 40's, that's why I decided to do the meniscus transplant in the first place. Any and all help/ suggestions/ comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Offline ekelley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus Transplant
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Adi, I'm curious how long you ended up having to wait for a donor?  I'm currently a patient of Dr Gomoll's in the same office and they've told me it can take month to find a donor.  The lady (his admin assist) I keep talking to is extremely rude so I can't tell if she just keeps telling me that to keep me from calling all the time or if it's really going to take forever.  I have a second opinion on Tuesday with a different dr to see if he can move the process along a little faster.  Any advice from anyone as to how long it should take to find a donor meniscus?
Jan 09 - tibia fx and medial meniscus tear
Jan 10 - med and lat meniscus tear
July 10 - med meniscus tear and patellar bursa removed