Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What the ef - MRI shows meniscus healed but it's NOT  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Honeybunch

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
What the ef - MRI shows meniscus healed but it's NOT
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
3 months ago MRI showed "healing blood tear posterior horn medial meniscus"

1 month ago MRI showed nothing wrong with the knee

It's still torn, it doesn't ache 100% of the time like before, and not with same intensity but still aches 50% of time. I can walk for 5 minutes before I start to limp BAD. And all the other symptoms still there. Pain, can't flex it all the way, clicking, cant use the knee to stand up, so why isn't the MRI co operating and when is it going to heal

::cries::
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:11:35 AM by Honeybunch »

Offline elainec

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: What the ef - MRI shows meniscus healed but it's NOT
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
Hi,

This reply is coming form a radiographer with a dodgy knee.

Did you have the MRI at the same facility as last time. It's possible that the sequences used could be different allowing for the variation in result. The planning of the scan can also create subjective differences.

Hope your knee improves. I know how frustrating it can be.

Offline heyz123456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
I am sure you heard how amazing the MRI procedure is but with meniscus they sometimes are not ideal. It is the best technology out there to the public but it does has flaws. AN example of that was my surgery. I had an MRI done and seen I had a big tear but when the surgeon went in my knee he found the tear to be small and found out my articiular cartilege was damaged and had a microfracture performed. Surgeons just do not know what to expect sometimes until they actually go in.

Offline anaceticstar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
An MRI for a meniscus injury is not always 100%. The tear itself can go back into place and be difficult to see. In both of my previous injuries to my medial meniscus, there's been a tear that was not visible with an MRI. If the tear is severe enough, you can usually convince a decent ortho to scope you to at least go in and take a look. They can then fix the problem.
February 2005: Arthroscopic partial Medial menisectomy (10%)
February 2010: Bucket Handle Medial Meniscus Repair. (red on white zone)
March 2012: Medial Meniscus injury/bone spurs. Menisectomy to come!