Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Transplant  (Read 9480 times)

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Through God All Things Are Possible.
Meniscus Transplant
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
I am scheduled for a meniscus transplant on May 11th. I just got word that I had been matched to a donor on Wednesday.

I was wondering if anyone who's been through this can tell me about their experience? Thank you :)
Torn ACL, Medial/Lateral Meniscus
Surgery August 4th, 2004

Medial/Lateral Meniscus Tears
Surgery August 10th, 2007

Surgery September 1st, 2009

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision
Surgery December 17th, 2009

Arthroscopy
Surgery October 11th, 2010

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • Own site
Re: Meniscus Transplant
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
Hi Catie,

I copied a couple of meniscus transplant post-op rehab guidelines, here in the earlier topic by Dennis. Is it going to be your medial or lateral meniscus transplant surgery? How did you tear your meniscus? By the way, check out this blog, written by Chris -> http://mymeniscustransplant.blogspot.com .

I had surgery done in january 2010, and had about 70-80% my medial meniscus removed from complex tears. My surgeon would like to try Actifit scaffold to treat my torn meniscus. I will meet him next week and suggest that we go for a meniscus transplant, because I have new tears in posterior horn of meniscus. Hopefully, I have meniscus transplant too before next summer  :)

Good luck.
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:03:37 PM »
Thank you so much!

It's my medial meniscus. I've torn them both playing sports and unfortunately it just kept happening and now I'm to the point where there's barely anything left.

Please be sure to tell me how your appointment goes! Thank you again :)
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »
Hi Catie,

I'm just curious. Where are you having your meniscal allograft transplant surgery and who is your surgeon? Are they going to replace your lateral meniscus later or what is the plan with that?

I had a long talk yesterday with my surgeon. Once again, I had endless amount of questions about meniscus and other issues regarding the knee. My surgeon convinced me that we will first try Actifit implant and if that fails we will go for meniscus allograft transplant. So our treatment order is: 1) Actifit implant surgery. 2) Meniscus allograft transplant. 3) Total knee arthroplasty.
Skiing accident in january 2010. Left knee, medial joint space narrowing and constant pain following partial meniscectomy (30% medial meniscus left). Trying to prolong the knee replacement as long as I can.

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »
Catie, here's previous topic about having both the medial and lateral meniscus replaced at the same surgery.

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm having my transplant done at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My surgeon is Dr. Christopher Harner, he's been studying meniscal transplants since 1992.

I was wrong in telling you that they are only replacing my medial meniscus, they are doing both medial and lateral.

Are you okay with your surgeon's decision or would you have preferred to go ahead with the transplant?

http://www.upmc.com/HospitalsFacilities/Hospitals/Mercy/Pages/default.aspx UPMC Mercy
http://www.webmd.com/video/meniscus-transplant Video of Dr. Harner
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »
Your history sounds a lot like mine. I tore my ACL and both menicsus and had it fixed, and then kept retearing the meniscus. I eventually had a medial and lateral meniscus transplant with ACL revision. That was 10 years ago in 2001. I know the recovery and rehab protocals have changed since I had mine done. I can tell you it was the most painful surgery I ever had (even more painfull than the TKR I just had). I'm glad it was done.  With my most recent surgery the TKR they put in a femoral nerve cathether for a few days which is better than just a femoral nerve block. I would talk to your OS about his post op pain management. I have a great OS and I really didn't feel much pain in the hospital at all I was in for 5 days. I hope that everything works out for you.

Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
Melanie,

Thank you very much. I will definitely ask my OS about pain management!
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline adilorenzo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
I am 18 years old, waiting for a donor for a meniscus transplant, tibial tubrical osteotomy and possible aci done by Tom Minas of the Cartilage Repair Center in Chestnut Hill, Mass. I was very excited to get the procedure done seeing as this will be surgery number 5 since in the past 8 years. It has now been 11 weeks and I still have no donor. My local orthopedic sent me to Dr. Minas because he does the most transplants and he would get the most donors. I know that the allograft has to fit to a T but I am starting to get discouraged about how long I have been waiting. I had surgery in October and was able to swim my first college season, but I am afraid because of the on going pain and no donor I wont be able to next season :(. Can anyone shed some light on their wait time for a donor?

thanks

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Catie
I just had a meniscus transplant done- I am about 3 months post op. Ill be honest with you. Its by far the hardest surgery I have had done on my knee. (I had a massive OAST done last year) I think it varies by doc and patient, but I was non weight bearing for about 6 weeks. The rehab is long and painful at times. I am still going to PT, and still struggle with walking long distances or going up and down stairs. I have to say though, the pain I had before surgery is gone! I think the majority of the pain I have now is from lack of muscle- your quad will def take a huge hit. If you are not already, try and build that muscle as much as possible. It will help you in recovery.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!

brian

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
I had mine done in December 2007.  I see Juha already referred you to my blog.  I've returned to skiing, tons of sports, and play my first ice hockey game (I took it up this year) tonight. Am I totally pain free, not really, but if I didn't push so hard I probably would be.  The first week SUCKS.  The second week is better, but the 3rd week, I was pretty much pain free (other than the rehab related pain).  I did have a nerve problem, but it was resolved through PT.  Don't freak out about the pain...just make sure you get a pain plan with your doc presurgery.

PM me if you have any questions my blog didn't answer.

Offline Pdreamers

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
Catie, best of luck with your transplants.  I posted a while back after I had my lateral meniscus transplant and had hoped to start a blog on my rehab process but between my continued focus on rehab and work, I wasn't able to.  I had a 2 stage surgical approach for my degenerative knee which included paste grafting and microfracture techniques to 3 full chondral defects on the articular cartilage on my lateral side, and then lateral meniscus and ACL transplants.  I am 6 1/2 months from transplants and almost 8 months from the paste grafting, microfracture and clean up work.

From a pain management standpoint, the recovery from the 2nd surgery was definitely more painful than the 1st but nowhere near the pain that I endured over the years from my degenerative knee.  Over the 5 week period post transplants, I was able to get by with taking about 30 norco tablets until I was finally able to weed off of them.  Everyone's pain tolerance is different and since you are getting both medial and lateral meniscus done your pain level could be different.  Hopefully that aspect goes well for you.

From a recovery standpoint, the key I found was doing the best you can to do pre-rehab and then continue a strong PT program post surgery.  I was non-weight-bearing after my paste grafting and microfracture surgery for 5 weeks and then started partial weight-bearing on crutches a couple of days before my transplants.  Then I was partial weight-bearing on crutches for 5 weeks post transplants and progressed to full weight-bearing after that. 

I continued PT at a clinic up until my 6 month followup which I just had last week and now I feel naked since I am on my own.  The key to any successful surgery, especially a meniscus transplant is to continue to be active as it is a long process to fully heal and become your own, especially if you have a lot of degenerative problems.  I have been lucky with no setbacks so far and am able to be aggressive on elliptical machines, weight strenthening (no extension lifting), stretching, core exercises, riding a bike, and other stuff.  I got full clearcnce to start golfing again and the clinic said I should be able to start light jogging soon.  Not sure if I will as I would rather just focus on building up my golf swing from partial swings with my high irons eventually to full swings with all clubs over the next month or so. 

Another thing that is supposed to help meniscus transplants is to get synvisc injections to keep the joint lubricated and I plan to get my 1st round in about a week.  I thought I was done with those but it makes sense.

Send me a message if you have any any questions.

Pete

Hey Aggie, as you can see things are going very well for me so far.  Just very busy so I have not been able to post.  Went to Dr Stone for my 6 month follow-up last week and he was very pleased as was his PT staff!
'82 - ruptured left knee ACL, PCL, MCL; ~25% lateral meniscus removed
'89 - removal of majority of remaining lateral meniscus
'07-10: knee degnereration progressed to severe
'10-microfracture-paste grafting to repair full chondral defects; lateral meniscus and ACL transplants

Offline CatiePaige0821

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
I want to thank you guys for getting back to me and letting me know about your experiences. I really do appreciate it very much.

I was wrong in my previous post as I just got the surgery write up. I am having JUST a medial meniscus transplant. For now, that is all we are doing.

I didn't say this before, but Dr. Harner told me that my knee is "tight" when he went in to do a scope back in October just to see what was going on, he said he couldn't see to the back of my knee. Because of this, he is going to detach my MCL for the transplant surgery so that he can be sure that he can stitch the donor meniscus all the way around. I'm not sure what kind of pain or longer recovery this will cause.

Does anyone have any input about this?

Thanks again!
Surgery August 4th, 2004

ACL Laxity. ACL Revision

Arthroscopy

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:21:52 PM »
Catie,

First of all, you'll be fine.  This is a hard surgery, but totally doable.  The key is to remember that it will take some time before you are back to normal and that you will have good days, then a bad day, then 10 good days.  Be dedicated to rehab like nothing else...this is the key to healing according to my doc.

Talk to your doc, I don't think they would harm your MCL to do the surgery. They sutured mine in all the way around, and didn't touch my MCL.  Good like, make sure you are pre-habbing now!

Offline JuhaH

• Forum Faithful
    • Own site
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
Here's another nice blog, providing a lot of useful or interesting information about meniscus allograft transplant -> http://kneed4relief.com .