Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Best Knee Surgeon in United States?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline TimHer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Best Knee Surgeon in United States?
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
Who is the best knee surgeon in the United States?

And the credentials to back it up?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 355
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Best Knee Surgeon in United States?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
Surely that depends on what your problem is - many have sub specialties / expertise / areas of interest (certainly the case in the UK)  ???
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
All depends on the individual issue.  No one OS is the best at Everything.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
Also probably depends where you are too, I would venture a guess that at the top, there isn't much difference between the best knee surgeon in NY vs. the best knee surgeon in LA for example.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »
Totally depends on what is wrong with one's knee.

I also think "best" is relative because who is "the best" for one person might not be a good fit for another person. I don't think a person needs to "like" their doctor to get good treatment, but it sure helps when doctor and patient are on the same page. For example, a person looking to avoid surgery isn't best treated by a doctor stressing surgery.

Seems to me the real question should be, "Who's the best surgeon in the US for me?" The answer is tough to figure out. Start with describing what your problem is and maybe some of us on here can point you in a good direction for a doctor that might work for you.

I'm pretty fond of my doctor. He's the best! I traveled a good long way to be examined and ultimately treated by him. I chose him among a slew of names thrown my way thought to be "the best." What I learned from that experience is that it's not just about who some random people on the internet say is "the best," even with their evidence to back up such statements. It's also about that doctor's track record with his patients (are they satisfied?), what kind of rehab the doctor uses (is it line with your goals?), and whether or not the doctor can interact with you in the way you need in order to feel comfortable with your treatment plan. There's probably more, but it's 8:30 am on a Saturday and I'm not fully awake just yet...

There's more to being "the best" than just having some credentials on one's CV.

Just my $0.05 (inflation!). YMMV
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:38:28 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Just to add on to crankerchick, there are some ortho's that are very highly regarded in their field, people that do tons of research might get a reputation as being one of the best because they do a lot to advance the field. But, that doesn't mean that they may be the best clinically. Some people are great researchers, and can solve the most complex problem, but give them something simple, and they think it's beneath them and they get bored. I know for me, when I went searching for a surgeon, I was referred to 2 of the best ortho hospitals in the country by my original ortho who admitted he didn't feel comfortable doing my surgery, which both luckily happen to be in my backyard (Hospital for Special Surgery and NYU Joint Disease). NYU didn't take my insurance, so I ended up at HSS with the name of a surgeon recommended to me by my friend's dad. I have no clue if he is the best, but I figured HSS wouldn't let a bad surgeon stay on staff, and although I'm only 10.5 weeks out of surgery, so far, things are looking great. He was great at my preop appointment, but didn't seem too interested at my post op visits, then again, I had no complaints or questions at those visits. At my preop visit, he spent loads of time with me answering all my questions, getting rid of any concerns, giving me a timeline of rehab and how long to be at 100%, even helped me come up with the best time to do the surgery and wrote a letter to my school so I can get my schedule changed around even though the deadline for schedule changes had passed. At my post ops, he looked at my knee, asked if I had any questions, and then left. But I can deal with that because he did a great job during the surgery. I don't need to shoot the breeze with my surgeon or be buddy buddy with him, I want him to do his job, answer my questions if I have any, and that's about it, and that's what he does. Some people may not like that and be saying he's terrible because he didn't spend any time with them after the surgery.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

cdubb

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
I agree with everyone's comments..."the best" is really a difficult answer.  There are many very talented and well regarded surgeons in the US, but every doc has things that they're better at than others.  Let people know where you're looking to find a doc and what your problem is and people may have some suggestions to steer you in a good direction.

support