Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: When am I not a kneegeek?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
When am I not a kneegeek?
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:36:12 AM »
I'm just curious, at what point do I consider myself no longer a knee geek? I am about 9.5 weeks post PCL reconstruction, and my recovery has been going pretty great so far. I really can't complain too much. I feel like people here are dealing with so many worse things that I don't feel like I "deserve" to be here, as weird as that sounds. I haven't had any setbacks, I'm walking pretty good without the brace, I have passively full flexion, very little pain, not too much stiffness. I just came back from a cruise, and I did have to wear my brace a couple times, but I was pretty good for the entire week. Obviously, I'm grateful to be having an uneventful recovery, and although I'm not yet at the point where I can forget that I had surgery, there are entire hours where I don't think about it and I don't realize it until I try to do something like bring my knees to my chest and I feel that tugging because I don't quite have that last little bit of flexion yet.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: When am I not a kneegeek?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »
My vote is once a kneegeek, always a kneegeek!  :)  You never have to do anything to "deserve" to be here. If you overcome your knee problems and come out great on the other side, then you can be an encouragement to those who are still here struggling. We NEED to see success stories to keep us going!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
The choice is yours alone. you chose to come here to find out things and gain information. If when you no longer feel the need to come for advice, then it is your choice to leave.

Many of us though are so grateful for the help and support we received that we have remained for whatever reason; friendship, comaraderie, or the need to give back and help others in similar situations.

None of us "deserve" to be here - we came in search of information and made be consciously or subconciously, also support. How much we have gained is often a measure of how much we have contributed.

Yours is an unusual injury and repair, it would be nice if you could help others with similar problems who come along in the future. That's why I stay around - I made lots of mistakes because of an acute lack of information. Using this resource helped me to recover fair quicker and make fewer mistakes this last time around.

The choice is yours really - all I can say is thank goodness not everyone stays on board, otherwise the site would be impossible to keep an overview of! We have over 30,000 registered users, let alone the thousands who read but never register don't forget.

As smillie says, we need far more success stories!

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
I'm not saying i"m leaving, I just feel bad when I read other people's stories and then I don't have it quite as bad, I consider myself lucky that I haven't had a lot of setbacks, so how can I offer some advice to someone who is on their 4th or 5th knee surgery to try to figure out what's going on? I did get a lot of support on here, from postings and from private messages as well, and I am very grateful for that. There is a huge lack of people with experience in PCL recons, so I do plan on peeking in to see if someone new is facing a PCL reconstruction. I guess it's more of a feeling along the lines of "What right do I have to complain about my problems when I read about people here going through much worse?" I don't know if that makes any sense or not, it's hard to describe.

I also don't know if I would classify myself as a success story, because I feel like it was too easy to be a success, I didn't really struggle much through anything. Sure the surgery was annoying, but I didn't have a lot of pain, I got my range of motion back pretty quickly, and I feel like to be considered a success, you had to struggle through something. Meanwhile, I didn't do much, the surgeon did his job, I camped out on the couch for a couple weeks, used my crutches for 6 weeks, and let the physical therapist tell me what to do. All I did was whatever my PT told me to do, it wasn't like I really did anything. Does that make any sense?

Eh, whatever it is, if someone comes on here with the same injury I had, hopefully they can find my story and see that it doesn't all end bad, which is a very good thing.

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
I agree with smillie! Once you're in you're in. The wealth of information on this site is amazing-down the road your experience may be helpful to someone else struggling with their situation. At the time i had my surgery i didn't know about this site but how i wish i had! After everything i went through it makes me feel good to know that my advice might make things a little easier for somebody else.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
Your advice was great when I posted last month about my son's first physio and what to expect.  Thank you for that, it was very valuable information and I am sure many others, in time to come, will value your experience and the useful nuggets you can pass on.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
I found this website shortly after I had knee surgery and have found the people on here whose knee problems have either subsided or not to have some of the most encouraging things to say especially during a challenging recovery. Although I am somewhat envious of people who can see the light at the end of the tunnel of their knee pain finally ending, I think my outlook would be a lot less positive than it is now had those people stopped posting on this site. Although it is your choice, I would really encourage you to continue to post and be the source of hope for other people who are facing similar problems that you once faced because it can make the world of a difference.

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
Hello Emzobe, and all !

Part of recovery is sharing good and bad news with our fellow knee geeks , Soozle don't leave but inspire those that are in their travels, Some days I feel Up , some days down and my Knee geek buddies guide me through it ! I am worse off then some but better off then most ! rehab and Injury is taking my time away from my family and friends , But I have made friends and spent my time with my family , I Lost the love of my life 4 times
So Guide and follow ! Live and Love , Support !

I just thought I would say my  2 cents

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
I'm not leaving, I promise! I never was planning on leaving, I just guess feel bad because my recovery is pretty easy compared to others. I guess I just got lucky in that I had the right surgeon, the right therapist, and a body that heals pretty well after surgery. Heck, I didn't even have anything that I would call pain after the surgery. Uncomfortable, sure, stiffness, absolutely. But not really any pain. I think I only took 1 percocet that was prescribed to me after surgery, and that was it. But hey, if someone comes on here and feels better seeing that not every story has a bad or difficult outcome, then I'm all for it.

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Dear Sooz
That's good ! I would hate to see you leave ! Only 1 Perc eh !!!! where are the other 15 ? Just joking ! I see you have had a knee journey also though

Cheers
Rossco