Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Workingout after patella dislocation  (Read 702 times)

Offline ch0sen1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Workingout after patella dislocation
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:45:25 AM »
Hi,

My name is Josh and iím 17 years old. Seven months ago, I dislocated my patella playing hockey. It basically popped to the outside. I went to the hospital and was on crutches for about a month and 1-2 weeks. Iím thinking about working out now, squatting, leg pressing and all. Would it be okay is I do that or is my knee susceptible to injury.

Thank you   

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Workingout after patella dislocation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
You should talk with your doctor and do what he/she advises. It may be best to start out in physical therapy with a scripted program.

My personal opinion is that you should be fine working out in the gym, just go easy to start and be sensible. Work all of your leg muscles, not just the quads, and give yourself adequate recovery time between sessions. You may need to (and probably should) ice after a session. The stationary bike is also your best friend in this situation. Ride it for an hour. Don't forget to stretch as well. It might seem like lifting weights is the best solution, but in my opinion and experience, a good rehab program includes strength training along with biking and stretching.

But hey, I'm no doctor, so you should consult yours.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »
From everything I've heard and been told, deep squats are a really bad idea. I agree with crankerchick in that a dr chat might be a good idea. They might send you to a few weeks of PT to get you going. (On the other hand, bad PT can suck in ways unimaginable- personal experience with that)
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
Yeah see a doctor.
The knee joint is pretty complex. Some people dislocate due to sheer brute force. If nothing was damaged (which is feasible but depends on the situation) then you could have a normal, healthy knee and be totally fine to do anything. Unfortunately some people (like me) dislocate due to an abnormal knee structure-I can dislocate in situations a normal person wouldn't. I didnt discover this until several dislocations and many more sublaxations had happened because doctors kept patching me up but not looking at the underlying reasons. It's unlikely to be as extreme as me, but if a few simple exercise or maybe insoles can save it happening again, it's worth making the fuss now!
Good luck, I hope it goes well!
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
Wow, for some reason yesterday was a bad reading day for me. I thought this injury was 7 weeks old, not 7 months old. 7 months old = get thee to the gym. Did your doctor have you in PT after the injury?
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

support