Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT Success Story  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Kathy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • With God, all things are possible.
TTT Success Story
« on: October 29, 2003, 12:13:07 AM »
Hi, all. I started having knee problems as a freshman in high school. That was the first time I dislocated my kneecap. OUCH! After that it would sublax and dislocated all the time. Finally, after seven years of that crap, I couldn't take it anymore...I went to see an OS. (I have a fear that doctors won't take me seriously.) He was great - suggested PT even though I had done it before. He said it would help for after the surgery. Then he performed a TTT with LR and MR. The pain afterwards was enought to make me wonder if I should have done the surgery. I don't remember all the recovery times exactly, but I know that I was non weightbearing for at least a month - maybe 5 weeks. And then I was allowed to walk as soon as I was able. My quad muscle was shot - took a long time to get it strong enough to walk, but I remember my first steps on that shakey leg and they were great!! I didn't walk without a limp until December and my surgery was in October, but it was because I had forgotten how to walk normally. As soon as my PT showed me what I was doing wrong, I began to get walk normally with no trouble. It took until the end of January to get full ROM back. I got stuck somewhere between 100 and 110 degrees, but gradually got it back to where I can touch my bum with my foot. Spent all winter getting muscle strength back and when spring came went cycling for the first time. The only pain I had left was in my shin and that went away this past summer. Last week I started to run again for the first time in 8 years!!! My shin is sore from that, but I haven't had one dislocation and only a little bit of knee joint pain. It's great to not be afraid of moving around anymore.

Kathy
Many dislocations for seven years.
3 stage patella realignment (Fulkerson TTT + LR + Medial Reefing) 10/18/02

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Time for something sweet!
Re: TTT Success Story
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 04:22:29 AM »
Yay Kathy!

Glad to hear that your surgery was such a success! I'm hoping for the same.  For 10 years I had a very unstable knee, and at 2 months post-op now I'm already glad that I've had the surgery (if the rest of rehab goes well).  ROM is coming back SO slowly, though... I feel like I'm stuck at 80-85 naturally, although I can push past 90 w/a little help.  It's very encouraging to hear that someone has got full ROM back and is able to run, b/c I could do all that the morning of my surgery.  

Thank you for sharing your story! :D

Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
Re: TTT Success Story
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 07:46:31 AM »
Kathy,

Thanks so much for sharing your story! I had a TTT and quad tendon repair in September 03. I have had nothing but set backs it seems since then. It is uplifting to read this post and know there can be life after a TTT. Thanks a ton! Congratulations and I'm wishing you continued success!

Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04