Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 7 months on from HTO and still can't jog or do squats!  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
7 months on from HTO and still can't jog or do squats!
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
I had an HTO with external fixator and microfratcture on the medial condyle 7 months ago.

I love playing hockey and am desperate to get back to it but I still cannot do squats or even jog as I am getting too much pain in the centre of my kneecap.  I had been getting pain in the area of the microfracture which I am still getting but the kneecap pain is worse.  I'm not sure if the HTO has now offset my kneecap and it is not tracking right?

I was hoping to be back playing hockey by now but have been unable to do anything other than non weight bearing exercise - am I expecting too much?  Has anyone returned to sports after HTO within this timeframe or do I need to be more patient?

I am going back to the consultant on Tuesday so hopefully will be able to get some more info but would appreciate hearing of anyones similar experiences.
20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator

Offline sune

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: 7 months on from HTO and still can't jog or do squats!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Hi.

Sorry about your condition. I can't offer any advice, but I am interested in hearing the progress of your situation, as I have been suggested tibial osteomy and patella mfx myself. I can barely sit 10 minutes on exercise bicycle, 50rpm at lowest load. Walk less than a mile before it hurts.
Sune
1999: Chondral lesion on medial patellar facet. Synovium changes, grade II degeneration of neighbouring cartilage. Debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2009: 2nd arthroscopy,  debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2010: steroid injections
2012: MACI (2 patella, 1 trochlea)+Fulkerson+Lateral release

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
Scooby:
Haven't seen an update to how you are doing....are you able to play hockey again?  I would like to think that after 7 months, you hopefully would be able to get back to weight bearing activities and sports....

Of course, I absolutely LOVE to inline skate, and that is nothing more than a dream now...  :'(

Like Sune, I can't offer any advice, but would like to hear your progress...

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
Hi Sune an Smartdriver

Haven't been online for a while as not much has changed so apologies for the delay in responding!

I have had further MRIs and xrays and isokinetic tests to see if we can see any issues.  The MRI showed that the microfracture has worked to some degree as there is now some infil in the defect.  The osteotomy break has healed well.  The consultant could see a large area of scar tissue, some evidence of damage behind the kneecap but not major, so he is not entirely sure what is going on.

I am having an alignment xray on Friday to see how that is looking since the osteotomy and to see if it might be causing any problems.  If the consultant can't see anything obvious, he has suggested keyhole surgery to remove the scar tissue and tidy up any damage that he can see, and to generally have a look around. 

I still have painful clicking on the medial side of my knee and still have the pain at the bottom of the kneecap on squatting etc, so I guess if surgey might help, that is my only option now.  If it means I can get back to exercise, then I will happily do it.  it would only mean a week on crutches and off work and driving, so it will be a walk in the park compared to the osteotomy!  Although the consultant says there are still no guarantees that this will fix the problem.

Thats all I have to add for now - will update further after Friday.

Hope you are all doing well!

Sune - what have you decided regarding your op?

20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator

Offline sune

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
Hi Scooby,
how is it going, did you have the surgery?
I would think jogging and squats are some of the "worst" things one could do with a weak knee. Personally I would be happy if I could do any kind of aerobic exercise! I hate living such a sedentary life.

I saw the OS again, and we decided to wait one more year. I have 3 kids, one who is just 1 year, so I think it would be difficult wrt rehab right now. Sometimes when I feel very restricted or have pain, I regret that decision. I read about lots of people here who can do so much more than I and get jealous ... Anyway, the dr suggested some type of TTT combined with mfx and possibly lateral release. He seems convinced that I can become more active, although maybe not symptom free. He suggested the procedure on the basis of an MRI, ultrasound and the medical history including the two prior scopes. I am not sure whether I should be worried that no standing x-ray was taken?

Sune
1999: Chondral lesion on medial patellar facet. Synovium changes, grade II degeneration of neighbouring cartilage. Debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2009: 2nd arthroscopy,  debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2010: steroid injections
2012: MACI (2 patella, 1 trochlea)+Fulkerson+Lateral release

support