Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthrospcopy vs Open surgery- HELP  (Read 1639 times)

Offline nev1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthrospcopy vs Open surgery- HELP
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
I have a dilemma, July 2009 i had a knee arthroscopy, lateral release and plica removal, which has left me with more knee pain than before the procedure in the 1st place, the care i received was shocking and i have ended up formaly complaining about ( i have sought advice on here previosuly if you wanted to read over my past experience).
Since then i had requested a 2nd opinion to see if what im experiencing now is just very slow recovery or if its a new problem- last week the new surgeon advised his opinion was to re-do the surgery but with open surgery, as he believes that this will provide a better result and get me back in to a position where i was pre-op the 1st time round ( not being able to run more than a couple of miles or cycle more than 8k without pain) He says i may just have to give up certain activities, which i have now come to terms with.

The problem is, do i have open surgery and hope for the best or just deal with the position im in now, i cant bear the thought of being even more worse off then i am now... since surgery i cant do squats, lunges, run, kneel etc etc...? All ive heard is open surgery is open to more complications!  ??? 

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Arthrospcopy vs Open surgery- HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
I would be looking at whether the procedure is right for you as much as the way it is done. If a lateral release via scope hasn't helped, why would one done via open surgery change things? Do you have patella tilt? How stable is your kneecap? Why was the lateral release done to start with? I think you need a way better understanding of just WHAT is being suggested for your knee and why, rather than wondering if open is worse than scope. If the procedure isn't right then neither method will get you back to proper function. Have you had X-rays, CT scans, epxloration of your patella tracking and leg alignment? I am assuming this is the reason a LR was done......

I'd think very carefully before jumping into another op until you've got the full picture.

Just my thoughts!

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
...what she said...!

Open versus arthroscopic is just details, what is important is the procedure itself and if it's the right one for you.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I like that!  :)
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline nev1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies, i think im going to have to go through exactly what they are hoping to acheive, my scope was originally to 'have a proper look what was going on' after years of physio not helping. the surgeon thought that by removing plica and LR would help but he never really explained the reasoning behind this, i just put my trust in him and let him do what he thought was best all i knew was that my knee hurt and i trusted him to help me.
its nearly been 2 years and im worse off than before as i said in my previous post and i strongly believe that the reason the new surgeon wants to go and re-do the LR via open surgery is to clear up the 'mistakes' of the 1st op although i guess i have no proof of this.
i think im almost hoping that whatever was done before can be rectified by having it done by a different surgeon but i dont what to let that hope get in the way of weighing up the risks of further surgery.

ive only had xrays and no scans or anything....as far as i know i dont have patella tilt and that my cartlidge etc is fine, i think i need to be getting back to the GP and surgeon to get some proper detail before i make any decisions.

thanks for your input...

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »
3 things:

1.  Hope doesn't fix knees.

2. Blind faith in a doctor doesn't fix knees.

3. Getting more information on your doctor's reasoning for the procedure before making any decisions sounds like an excellent idea.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 05:22:24 AM »
What would be the reason for doing a LR in isolation if there isn't patella tilt or cartilage loss on that lateral side?
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline nev1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
I have no idea....... wish i knew... so fed up of being all confused and it taking so long to get to talk to anyone   :'(

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
If your doctor can't give you a good reason, then get another opinion. It's frustrating when it's so hard to get answers. Hang in there!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
I cannot speak for the lateral release component, but think I can give some insight into the plica component. I had my plica removed and if they removed the plica and you are still having pain (assuming the plica has not reformed), how will going in and re-evaluating the plica non-arthroscopically be a better option? Furthermore, I would look into getting another opinion before jumping into surgery again or exploring other non-surgical options and figuring out the root causes of your knee problems. If your OS is unsure of the cause and is just offering an additional operation just to get you back to square one without a comprehensive plan in place, I wouldn't feel too rushed or obligated to agree to it. The end result could either be not helping and putting you further behind than you already seem to be or just masking the pain for a short period of time and not providing a long-term solution.

My plica removal has too been unsuccessful, but at this point, although both myself and the OS are really frustrated at this fact, we are really working to treat another surgery as a last resort and think outside the box to come up with a treatment plan in the meantime.

Good luck!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
What would be the reason for doing a LR in isolation if there isn't patella tilt or cartilage loss on that lateral side?

What Smilie said!! WHY? You must find out the rationale for the proposed surgery before letting anyone cut you. A surgeon is a surgeon - they like surgeries. It is their trade. They often like to think they can fix a previous "mistake". Your new OS may well be a good person to treat your knee, but I see NO rationale in an open LR if you have no tilt, no lateral cartilage loss and a scope LR left you worse off. That, to me, seems bonkers!

You MUST seek more opinions, however long it takes.

Good luck

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support