Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How Soon Can I....  (Read 689 times)

Offline Z u l u

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How Soon Can I....
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
Just A quick question guys, i had my ACL Recon A few days ago and was wondering what the protocol was on showering/bathing?

Ive been having to just wash myself by the sink in the bathroom.

How long until it is ok to shower?

Thanks

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: How Soon Can I....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
Sorry, you gotta have the stitches out and your incisions have to be closed, or you risk infections. After your first postop appointment, you'll likely get clearance to get in the shower like normal. until then, it's sink bath, and wash your hair in the sink or over the tub with the shower wand.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: How Soon Can I....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
I think you should give your OS a call and ask about post-surgical care protocols - this kind of thing is very basic information that they really should have given you before you left hospital!

The answer varies depending on the kind of closure your incisions have and whether or not the surgeon put waterproof bandages on them. I know some folk who had waterproof dressings and were able to shower immediately. I had staples and was allowed to shower after five days (staples were removed at 11 days post-surgery). Until then, it was sponge baths and washing my hair using the spray nozzle in the kitchen sink - I can't tell you how good that first shower felt!

As the previous poster mentioned, it's very important to follow your surgeon's protocol or you risk infection. I would call your surgeon and ask - it would also be a good opportunity to clear up any other questions that you have at this stage.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA