Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone......Quadricep Shrunk  (Read 15876 times)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Anyone......Quadricep Shrunk
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
Cheers again Nick!

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
Brambledog -

It's been 15 months since my ACL/Meniscus surgery and my quadricep i still looks as flat as a pancake that has been run over several times.

I never had enough muscle to be able to control the knee cap correctly in performances such as squatting, lunges, running, leg extensions, leg curls, leg press so on and so forth.  Those performances build muscle.  I canít do those performances because my muscle is not there to get the patella to glide correctly. I have Grade 3 Arthritis and no quadricep to onload off the cap.

I just had 3 synvis shots and stil no relief and I'm only 28.  It's going to be a long crappy life.

Hope u feel better!
Tommy

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
Oh dear Tommy, difficult when you have had no improvement for so long. Hope you are feeling a little better today. Has your surgeon suggested anything they can do to relieve things? I know physio is preferable, but it sounds like your arthritis is preventing you from being able to do the exercises in the first place. At 28, they should be able to offer some kind of plan for how to manage your knee for the future. Might be worth trying a different physio (or even OS), even if just to get another opinion on things and help you feel more positive.

Have you had hydrotherapy (physio in the pool!)? I am finding that the warmth helps, and the day after hydro was the first time my quads felt like they had done anything for months. The physio hasn't touched it so far, although I'm hoping that wil change this week now that they have my diagnosis.

Good luck with it all. You're not alone!

;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »
Hey Tommy.....wow at 28 you have so much to look forward to.....i would not give up....as Brambledog pointed out warmth does help as most on here have some form of arthritis or will eventually get it unfortunately. I am looking for a knee sleeve that is comfortable and can keep area around knee warm.....anyone out there know of any or tried any? You are young enough to build muscle with the right regimen.....if you feel you cannot do on your own invest in a good PT....if you have good insurance go get another opinion from other docs on your specific situation....good luck

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
Hi Tommy,

Sorry that you have not seen any improvements after your ACL and meniscus surgery and never nice when you still at a young age to be limited in what you can do. I gave up all hope after being unable to jog for 3 and a half years. Had 2 cortisone injections and a scope to remove the medial plica and trim the fat pad and then had some IMS sessions and was 18 months post op before I was able to run once again.

As the others have said try hydrotherapy & maybe see a new OS for a 2nd opinion or even what I had IMS, dry needling as it helped sort out my knee problems. Good luck in trying to sort your knee out.

Nick :) {2011}:)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
I've been through 8 orthopedics so I don't really have any more options. In fact I've been through 5 different PT's and was just recently discharged once again.  The orthopedics all say you lost too much muscle and if they were to go in and do another major surgery I could be crippled because the muscle would be worse then it is now. I've had everything done including water therapy as well. No improvements and just countless dollars spent.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
Hi Tommy,

There's not much I can say to that! You've obviously been through the mill and got nowhere, and I'm sorry you feel so helpless. When it comes down to money there's only so far you can go.

Just don't give up all hope. At 28 you have got a life ahead of you, and maybe it's not going to be what you hoped, but it's still yours to do what you can with. Doctors don't always have all the answers, and it might be worth doing as much research as you can on the web. There will be other people out there who are in a similar situation and have found a way through. Whatever you do, get some help, even if it's just support from friends and family.

There are so many people on here who live with pain and have had their future changed forever by their knee problems.  Most still lead a full life and you can as well. Plenty of us have had to look ourselves in the eye and accept that some things just aren't going to happen any more. It's tough, and its not fair. I hope you don't mind my comments Tommy. I have huge sympathy for you, and really hope you can find something or someone to help you rediscover your mojo.

Please let us know how you get on and I'll keep my fingers crossed for some better news.

Good luck!   ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)