Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: On the road to finding out something...hopefully  (Read 655 times)

Offline navyknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • My Knee Surgery Blog
On the road to finding out something...hopefully
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »
Hi all,

Well, I have finally otten to a place where it became necessary and possible to see a doc about my deteriorating rt knee.  It has bothered me for years in varying degrees.  I have been to three OS's and 5 GP's over the years (almost 20 now) and never been given a satisfactory answer.  Both MRi's were inconclusive, and every OS says the same thing, "your knee is not quite right, there is definitely some laxity, but not enough to do wnything about.  It has gotten steadily worse to the point that it gives out at any sudden move or turn and going up and especially down stairs is a nightmare. 
Now that I am back off of the ship and stationed on land for a while, I went to the GP yesterday to start the process of getting to an OS and actually having him/her listen to me.  Saw the GP yesterday, he took me through all of the normal movements and believes that I have either a) partial ACL/MCL tear or chronic laxity, b) medial chondral defect, c) kneecap malalignment, or d) some combination including all of the above.  He referred me for an MRI and to an OS, which is what I was hoping for.  He also gave me a neoprene brace with hinges to help with the giving out and hopefully keep my kneecap in better alignment.  I am waiting for the referral to go through to make the appointments, but hopefully I am on the road to having something done to fix this knee.  I don't care what they have to do, so long as it helps.  I am in Monterey, CA, so any inputs on area OS's or any ideas that might help in this process will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Doug
18 years of deteriorating knee
R knee ACLr with Allograft and Meniscus Repair 3/15/11

support