Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 months post op, still cant do squats!... =(  (Read 3708 times)

Offline kneeboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
3 months post op, still cant do squats!... =(
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:24:39 PM »

3 months post hamstring graft op...

I cant squat down, it hurts under my kneecap... if i do a normal squat i automatically shift my weight to the uninjured leg... i cant get my body to shift it to the bad leg because of the pain. Today i tried to really force myself to do a one leg squat and it felt like someone put a screwdriver in the knee and cranked it.

I can do legpress up to 80-90 kg without pain.

Anyone else had problem with squatting?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: 3 months post op, still cant do squats!... =(
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:02 AM »
it hurts under my kneecap

This is a big clue as to what's wrong. If you're experiencing pain under the kneecap when you're trying to squat, the most likely explanation is that the muscles around your knee aren't strong enough to hold the kneecap in the correct place. Squats are notorious for highlighting any maltracking issues, which is what this sounds like. Leg presses are great for building some of the muscles that atrophy after surgery, but you need to be targeting all of them - especially the VMO - with a range of exercises.

I'd double check with your PT a) to make sure this is the problem (as I said, it seems logical, but I'm just another ACL patient on the Internet and can only offer my best suggestion, not an actual diagnosis) and b) start working on a wider range of exercises to build up any muscles that are still weak.

I experienced the same thing when I started trying to squat, although I don't remember exactly what time in my rehab this happened. My PT got me doing a variety of VMO strengthening exercises and it wasn't long before I could squat comfortably again. Dips - the first few degrees of a squat - are great for building the VMO. I started doing dips whenever I got the chance, and that really helped.

Remember that forcing yourself through excruciating pain isn't a good thing. Make sure you can do an equally weighted squat on both legs comfortably before you start trying to do one-legged squats, which put a tremendous amount of force through the kneecap. Also start by doing just a quarter squat, and then once those are comfortable work your way to a half squat, and eventually a full squat. ACL rehab is a marathon, not a sprint, and you have to be very careful to make sure you can walk before you start trying to run through the various stages of rehab (metaphorically speaking).
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kneeboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
Thanks Snowy!

Great post...

Yeah i think you nailed it pretty good, my VMO is pretty much non existent

Im going to work on the dipsquats...

Hey if you have the time i would appreciate if you can share the other VMO exercises you did...

Im going to look around for more exercises.

No i dont have a PT; well i have a NHS one but she is like a question mark when i bring the pain up... she isnt a very good one, so its up to me to get a clue...

Thanks again

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
Check out the exercises in the ALC rehabilitation article in the Information Hub and then look at the sticky (thread stuck at the top of a board) at the top of this board's index "All the exercises I have ever done throughout ACLr" thread owner is Feeny.

There are lots of exercises people have posted to get that reluctant VMO working. It is a common complaint for all patients who have undergone any kind of knee surgery, not just those who messed up their ACLs!

;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:09:11 AM »
As well as the great list of exercises that Kaputt_knee links to, here are the ones I found particularly useful:

* Short arc leg extensions
* Squeezing a ball between the knees while seated (this is great if you have a desk job)
* Stepups and reverse stepups with the knee turned slightly outward
* Lunges with VMO contracture
* Wall squats

Check with your PT to make sure individual exercises are okay for the stage of rehab that you're at before trying them.

Something I found useful was keeping a hand lightly on the VMO while doing exercises, and feeling for the contracture in the muscle. This helps you check that the VMO is engaged when you're exercises that engage a wider range of muscles, like leg presses or stepups. Sometimes just a small adjustment like turning the foot very slightly outward can make a big difference in how much the VMO engages.

Good luck - once your VMO strengthens up, you should find that a whole raft of things become easier. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kneeboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
thanks alot!!!

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:02:25 AM »
Hi Kneeboy-
I'm Tom and you sound like a complete replica of myself.  I still can't do a squat and I have sharp shooting knee pain underneath the knee cap just like you.  I had ACL reconstruction and meniscus cleanup may 25 2010.  I later had a cleanout of scar tissue and some touch up on some of the meniscus in October 2010.  So I'm like you I canít do equally weighted squats still.  The VMO is gone compared to my good leg.  I hope and keep praying that my quadriceps muscle will improve.
I'm this far out of surgery so just imagine what that is like for someone to go through.  I keep doing SLR and also one with the foot pointed out.  I also squeeze the ball between my legs while lying down.  I know what youíre saying when you try squatting and all the weight shifts to your good leg. That is exactly happening to me.   I now just go down a bit where itís equal on both legs however it feels like my hip is doing the work.  I am hoping that itís not because they shaved to much meniscus off.  I was looking into Meniscus grafts but I donít want to ever have surgery again if I can help it.  The muscle is so gone that that must be the reason for the sharp shooting pain

Offline kneeboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
Hi Tom

My vmo has come back a little, i can almost do a squat but it still hurts a little.. but its gotten a lot better! ( thanks for the vmo tips snowy!)

What helped me the most was the dip squats, quarter squats...† just dipping down a little while putting my fingers on the vmo to get a better mind muscle connection.

It sounds like you have the same problem and if you have, strengthening the vmo is the answer.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:39:39 AM by kneeboy »

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
Kneeboy-
That has to be a nice feeling to finally reach a milestone such as squatting down farther.
I'm going down but just barely.  My sharp shooting knife pain happens at such a point so I'm limited as far as how far down I go.  I'm not even sure if how far dwon I'm going is even considered a squat.  i hope its not all in my hip.  I just hope that I improve just like you