Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: can't activate quad  (Read 1199 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
can't activate quad
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:05 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any idea of what may be going on. I had a PCL recon with cadaver Achilles graft, and I am 8 weeks and 1 day post op (but who's counting  ;) ). Everything was going great, I took the brace off on Monday, went to PT yesterday, no problems. Towards the end of last night, I started feeling this sense of stiffening I guess right over the quad tendon. I figured it was just overworked and I went to bed, thinking it would be fine in the morning. This morning, I can't contract my quad at all. The area over the quad tendon is quite swollen, and feels almost hard, like the tendon or muscle just turned into bone. I tried to just do some simple quad sets, and it just wouldn't go. I've been doing heat and massaging it all morning, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It's not exactly painful, just a very strange sensation. Does anyone have a guess as to whether I maybe just pushed it a bit too much yesterday and thats' why it's rebelling against me today?

I am actually concerned enough to the point where I considered calling my therapist, and that's something I never do. I never call my doctors, I never complain about pain to my therapist or tell him that there is something I can't do. If I do mention something, he knows I'm serious, so I don't think he would just brush it off, but I don't think there is anything he can tell me besides to just stay off it, keep doing heat, and trying to massage it. Anyone have any advice or opinions?
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: can't activate quad
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:55 AM »
I think this would be a time when you should pick up the phone to your therapist. :) Chances are that you overdid it given that the poor muscle hasn't been used in such a long time, but your symptoms sound a bit unusual and worth checking out. I'm sure your therapist won't mind, and it would put your mind at rest.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA