Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unsuccessful meniscus repair  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Siida

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unsuccessful meniscus repair
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:02 AM »
Hi!

I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed for a thousand times but I couldn't find anything with using the search.  :)

I tore my ACL and lateral meniscus in march while I was skiing in the alps. The ACL was recnstructed in april and in the same surgery the meniscus was repaired by using some sort of an arrow or a suture. The acl should be fine and the doctor tells me that's how it is. The problems is with the repaired meniscus. I have pain located somewhere near the meniscus, on the lateral side of the knee during extension AND flexion of the operated knee. The pain is "sharp" and "piercing" and it sometimes occurs after i've been sitting for a long time and try to stand up straight. The knee also feels very stiff after a long period of sitting still. Sometimes it aso feels like there is something on the lateral side of the knee, that just "doesn't belong there".

My OS has been saying that the pain is only due to the tension of the arrow or something and it should go away on it's own. As it has alredy been 7,5 months since my surgery I'm feeling a bit skeptical. Is it possible that the meniscus repair has been unsuccessful and the meniscus tear is causing the pain? I'm meeting my OS next week and hoping that he would be willing to at least have MRI of the knee..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:21:25 AM by Siida »

Offline Siida

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Unsuccessful meniscus repair
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
Oh and something, that has just started a few weeks ago is that the knee "pops" a lot on the lateral side, mainly when bending the knee while standing. It first feels like something is in the way of bending the knee but when I keep bending it the knee pops with a terrible sound and after that there is no feeling of anything being in the way of the movement.

Hmm, it is hard to explain feelings in a language that isn't your mother tongue..  ;D

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:43:09 AM »
Ask about the possibility of a postero-lateral corner injury as well. The pain you are describing reminds me of the pain I had after an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. They later trimmed the meniscus twice but the pain continued and gradually got worse. A change of surgeon to a more knowledgeable one resulted in a reconstruction of the PLC and all the pain went away.

BTW Meniscus injuries are notoriously hard to diagnose using just MRI scans so be prepared for an unclear or even negative find.

Sue  ;)

PS the popping sound if not accompanied by pain, can just be the harmless breaking up of scar tissue in the knee capsule. Every operation generates scar tissue initially - it is the body's natural response to trauma. After a while it is no longer need/generated and the body reabsorbs it. The popping and cracking you can sometimes hear is part of this process working properly.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Siida

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
Thank you for your quick answer, Sue!  :)

I'll ask about the possibility of a postero-lateral corner injury, that's an option we've never discussed with my OS. I'm aware of the fact that meniscus injuries ar hard to diagnose using MRI, that's why mine was also diagnosed in the surgery when I was supposed to have only the ACL reconstruction using hamstring tendons.  ;D

I hope the popping is only breaking up of scar tissue, and perfectly normal like you said.. There is no pain, only the strange feeling of something "extra" in the knee, on the lateral side. The popping has started just a few weeks ago, the strange feeling has been there ever since the surgery..

Offline Siida

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »
Well, I met my OS last week and he was sure there was nothing else to do than a new arthroscopy, so that's what i'll have at the end of January then. We'll see what he finds  :) hopefully something that's repairable..

Offline tecno4lif

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
Hey There,

I have the same exact symptoms as you. I am 8.5 months post ACL + Lateral Meniscus repair. Ironically I was skiing in Utah .
What ended up happening. Did he find anything during the scope?

Offline Siida

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »
Well.. Ironically I'm back here, had a third athroscopy today actually. The one a year ago didn't really help although they tried to fix the meniscus with a second suture again. This time I had a new OS and he decided to do a partial meniscectomy, which was then done today. He said everything else looked great and my knee should bee painfree after this operation!

I'm happy I insisted a third scope, I had a feeling the meniscus hadn't healed and that really was the case. I can't of course tell you whether this scope helped with the issues I was having but I truly do believe and hope so.  :)

How about you tecno4lif, have you met your OS after the ACL+meniscus repair? I think you should insist on at least taking an MRI of the knee!

support