Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need help with knee pain  (Read 859 times)

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need help with knee pain
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:49:56 AM »
I had a menisectomy when I was 18 (medial). I am now 48 and that knee is just full of arthritis, bone chips, spurs etc. It is bone on bone on the medial side. I have been told there is nothing for it but a replacement but due to my age, it isnt a good idea and might not feel that much better. Most days I have little to no pain, so I am good with that. However, on Friday, I suddenly am unable to straighten my knee *after having it bent for a while* without a terrible amount of pain. The knee seems stuck. After I slowly attempt to straighten it several times, it will straighten and seems okay. It doesnt hurt to walk on it, just to suddenly straighten it without any easing into it. Once it is straight it doesnt hurt until I bend and straighten it again.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
Re: Need help with knee pain
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
Your knee sounds a little like mine. My meniscus removal (partial) was probably a heavy contributor to the arthritis and stuff in mine. Although the third injury seems to have created new problems. I'm 46. I don't have the same stiffness/inital movement pain that you seem to though.

The last useless bimbo of an ortho I went to gave me some totally stupid line about how hylagan is my only choice until I'm old enough for a replacment. I'm somewhat thumb twiddling waiting for a second opinion appt (with a different doc). I still have a week to go before that appt. I've been reading up on PRP and prolotherapy and supplements, trying to decide if any of those sound promising for me if physical therapy fails as badly as last time.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
I recommend acupuncture. I was having a lot of pain a couple of years ago and it really helped. No side effects--you have nothing to lose, right?

My ortho told my hyalgen was pretty worthless in a case like this.

My knee seems a bit better today. Still getting a bit of a painful catch, but not as bad as it was. Probably some foreign body broke off and got stuck int here someplace--it's happened before :(

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:25:24 AM »
I've had some success with local anesthetic patches and with voltaren gel which is a topical nsaid (no risk to tummy, and isn't ibuprofen).

If the bone spurs impinge on movement, sometimes an arthroscopy to trim them is warranted, to delay a TKR, if xrays show bone spurs impinging on movement. It's a delaying tactic that can buy a few more years until the inevitable replacement. "cleanout" arthroscopies have to be considered with care, there should be valid reasons for doing so, such as suspect articular cartilage damage and bone spurs, that, if trimmed up, would improve pain levels and function.  without significant physical anomalies warranting such action, a "cleanout" would do little, aside from remove microparticle debris from the joint fluid and "wash out" the joint.

If the joint has predominantly medial compartment damage, and the lateral compartment is relatively unaffected, then you may benefit from an unloader brace, to shift some of the weightbearing stress from the damaged medial side to the healthier lateral side. I've worn such a brace for over 5 years, on and off, and it has helped greatly for periods of extended standing/walking. A lot of doctors won't even consider them unless you ask, for some reason. Younger orthos seem to recommend them more than the older docs, for some reason. Maybe research and being up on the current literature has something to do with it, I don't know. I'm probably going to have to change to a combined instability brace after my latest fiasco and the damage I've done to myself, that brace will have to incorporate unloading and ligament instability features in one brace.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.