Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1st Physio tomorrow. What can we expect?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
1st Physio tomorrow. What can we expect?
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »
Tomorrow my son goes for his first physio post his acl hamstring reconstruction last Wednesday.  As he can hardly walk from one room to the other I am wondering what they will attempt to do with him and am hoping it won't be too painful.   
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: 1st Physio tomorrow. What can we expect?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
My first PT session 10 days after my hamstring ACLr was very gentle. My PT checked the knee out thoroughly, did some massage on my calf to help the fluid and surgical haematoma move out of the knee, got me to show him how I was doing on the exercise set I'd been working on (heel slides, prone hangs, heel hangs, quad flexes, quad sets, SLRs) and then tested the flex and extension of the leg without forcing it. He also checked my walking and gave me new exercises to work on before my next appointment. The new exercises were a little bit more demanding, building gradually on what I'd already been doing. I remember the odd test or exercise being uncomfortable, but not painful.

Hope this is reassuring...I don't think they typically try and force you through the pain too much at such an early stage, especially if he's been working on his exercises. Good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Not sure if it's different where you are, but my first appointment was basically just an evaluation. He measured my flexion and extension, gave me some exercises to do, gentle things really. I actually didn't even get off the table at my first appointment. I finished off with ice and stim. I had a PCL recon, so my rehab is a bit different, less aggressive than ACL's, but they shouldn't do anything in therapy that is actually painful. It will be uncomfortable and sore, that's normal, and the forced flexion is brutal, but they shouldn't give him exercises that have him in tears, you build up gradually.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
Many thanks. Really helpful info. 

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
Oh, one more thing I forgot. I don't know how old your son is and if he's a minor, it may be required that you are with him at all times, but if you can, I would avoid actually watching the therapy. My dad used to pick me up from therapy, and one time he came a bit early, so they let him into the back to say hello and meet my therapist. It happened to be right around the end of the session when he stretches me and bends my knee. At the beginning of the therapy, this was the part I dreaded the most, the part that would bring me almost to tears. My dad is the toughest person I know, nothing fazes him. He very nearly passed out watching my therapist bend my knee, he literally became green and had to sit down to avoid passing out. He didnt want to watch, just happened to come back at a bad time. The other therapist there used to do pediatric rehab, and said the parents were the reason she left pediatrics, too many parents feeling ill watching the rehab. After that day, my dad always waited in the car if he came early.

Just something to keep in mind, as someone who will start her pediatrician training in a few months, I know that we don't allow parents to watch any procedures, the kids usually don't mind it as much as the parents watching. Hope your son gets better soon.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:26:47 AM »
Sorry, but I have to say I am astounded at the gentleness most of these posts imply they've experienced. My experience has been light years in the opposite direction.  :'(
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
Hi. We're back! It was fine.

Lots of chatting and filling pt in about accident and what has happened to date.  She told us how lucky we were to get seen and operated on so quickly.  His football 'accident' happened end of September 2010.  Lots of encouragment and considered exercises, walking between hand rails and going up and down a mock staircase.  Gave us a couple of good tips about improvising with a plastic bag to make our own slip board and using those plastic bags used to make your own ice cubes in when icing up the knee as they bend well around the leg. She iced it then with a cryocuff to finish off.

He had 60% on his measured knee bend (sorry - not very technical I know) and his leg is nearly straight when resting.

I agree with soozles about not going into the gym for the next session, I will delibrately take longer to go and park the car as I imagine this is when a bit more of the real work will begin. He is 16 and I think it will do him good to be a bit more independant.  I don't think the pt was that impressed that I was lifting his leg on and off the table for him (sorry... I am laughing about it now, must have looked silly). 

Thanks for your replies.... MUM of son in pain (but not as much as before :))

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
MUMofpain, don't feel so bad. At my eval, my mom actually picked me up on her way home from work (dropped off by my grandparents). At my place, the evals happen in a private area and my mom came in and asked for me at the desk, and they let her into the area. I was finishing up with the ice and stim, and one of the aides was helping me put my brace back on. Then of course, I had to get my shoes on, and my mom actually put my right shoe on for me because I was in a straight leg brace and I couldn't use my hamstrings at all to try and bring my leg closer. We all got a laugh out of it, my mom told the girl that her baby is still her baby no matter how old the baby gets (I'm 25, but I'm the youngest). So don't worry about lifting your sons leg on and off the table. I would just be more concerned that you might feel sick seeing your son in pain.

Heck, I'm still not allowed to use my hamstrings, and sometimes, I actually have to use my hands to lift my leg onto something, my mother still goes green when she sees that, and it doesn't even hurt, I just have an insane amount of muscle atrophy from not being allowed to use my hamstrings for hte last 2 months.