Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: badly smashed knee  (Read 3681 times)

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: badly smashed knee
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »
Hiya nick,

thanks for your message of support, this site has been a great help in looking for answers and helping me get through this long winding path to recovery. My company have been really helpful since the accident but as for the injury claim, thas gonna be a long way off to completion, these take just as long.

I used to live near edgbaston myself, i grew up there and moved away to swadlincote in derbyshire. Im now near sutton and hopefully moving back to swad once i can sell this place.
As for the NHS, im still not happy with the level of service, its still a long way off with how it should be. This was the 1st time ive been admitted to hospital in 30 years so dont know really what it was like beforehand, the last time i was admitted was at the old "accy" hospital and i was 8yo lol.

Simon.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Hey Simon

How are things going? I know the No Hope hospital you refer to - perhaps it has improved over recent years?! Have you had your physio yet this week? Hope that things are improving for you and that you get some progres on the injury claim, French systems are indeed a bit different to English civil law but you should still be entitled to make sure your loss of earnings and rehab are covered off and hopefully fund some sessions to get you back working asap and fully functioning. As Nick says I am a Solihull girl born and bred and we're now further down in Warwickshire, but I also lived close to Edgbaston (the joyous Kings Heath!) and worked in Sutton for a while.

Keep us posted, its good to know how folks get on...

Take care

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »
Hiya lottie,

well i had my 1st physio session today and it looks quite promising i think. My physio had a good nose around and said that my quadracep needs lots of excercise to get it back up to normal strength, my patella is extremely stiff and needs serious physio to get moving again and she's putting me through a course of hydrotherapy starting next monday for 6 weeks. Ive got 60 degrees flexion, not sure if thats the same as ROM, ive got to follow a strict excercise programme to do at home, so im hoping all this will have me up and running in not time.

regards, Simon

Offline Greta

• Forum Faithful
  • I WILL get better!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Good news Simon - glad your PT is concentrating on things like your quads because strengthening these is what you want.

Flexion is the angle you can bend, extension is the angle you can straighten (which would normally be a minuss figure). I suppose strictly speaking ROM should be from the amount of flexion through to extension - straight to bend, that is the RANGE of motion, but we all refer to ROM to being how far you can bend.

Keep doing the exercises - the more you do yourself the better
Greta
1Aug:comminuted L patella#+RPT
2Aug:ORIF+cylinder cast
Sept:hinged brace
ROM poor
Oct CT scan:2 large bone fragments
ROM:45
May:all metal out+MUA[110]ROM:90
Sept:ROM still 90
7Feb:MUA[130]+excision to remove fragment;no arthroscopy;all cleaned thru incision
25Feb:followup;more PT

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
Hiya

Good news on the PT input and evaluation. Those exercises will get boring quickly but they DO work so hang in there. Sounds like you're doing well. make sure these nasty slippy pavements at the moment don't set you back further......demand a servant to fetch and carry! 60 degrees ROM is a great start, and I'm sure you'll regain movement as the knee heals and you work the muscles. Slowly slowly catchy monkey with knees, but steady and diligent PT now will reap rewards in the long run.

Keep us posted and hope things are going OK,

Lottie :-)) :)

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »
Lottie/Coral,

i have been doing my excercises as instructed by my pt and good news, i can now lift my leg unsupported, before i couldnt even do that, although i cant hold it up for the 10 seconds as it gets too painful, but i dont care its a great step forward for me. I will try and see if i can get more ROM in the next few days and will let you all know on monday when i have my hydrotherapy, im quite looking forward to that.

Also my kneecap is very very stiff, any advice on how i can loosen it up a bit more other than what my PT advised, which is basically to move it up and down and from side to side, thanks?

Simon

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »
Hi Simon, great news that you are coming along so well,unfortunately that stiffness feeling is one of the last things to go.
Even now at 8 months post-op, i still have slight stiffness, though nowhere near as bad as at the beginning,but did find that deep massaging with comfrey oil did help.(link below).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370348638507&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT.

I did read an article about the stiffness,the degree of stiffness relates to quite a number of things.
* Age.
* the no. of pieces patella was broken into.
* Any previous bone probs.
* Whether displaced, or non displaced.
I used to blame it on the HW,as i did with every-thing else, but i now know it wasn't that all, as i am making quite good progress,and have read of so many people who have had their HW removed, but who are still battling with problems like stiffness etc.
Mind you this bitterly cold weather is not helping, dont know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but up here in south yorkshire, we have had in eccess of a foot of snow, and freezing temperatures,needless to say, i daren't venture out for fear of slipping,dont want to risk square one again.
So all i can tell you, is keep exercising,as much as you can, without overdoing it, and follow the advice of your PT.
Hope this helps.
                           Best wishes,for your further improvement.
                                            Regards.
                                                   coral                

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:43:01 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »
PHYSIO UPDATE.........Well to date ive only had one physio appointment and 2 hydrotherapy appointments, both cancelled!!!! So much for me trying to get back to work so soon, the nhs sucks bigtime. 1st appointment with pt seemed fine, she just gave me some excercises to do at home which seem to be working at the mo, though still not happy. The OS dont seemed bothered by me not doing PT when i spoke to him, so all in all im seriously stressed and getting seriously angry with them now. Any ideas how i can kick them up the ass to speed things up. Im still not walking and still cant bend past 60'. Going seriously bald pulling my hair out.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
Goodness you've gotta love the NHS at times haven't you? How frustrating! :-\

My only suggestion would be to perhaps try and get your GP to apply some pressure to make sure the appointments are honoured and that your OS takes your recovery seriously. Restricted ROM is pretty usual but clearly you ned to start regaining this with the right program of PT or else it'll drag on too long. I know you have a solicitor - is there ANY way that they could be asking for some form of private physio intervention to be done now? Could they try and argue you need some form of immediate needs assessment and this would flag up the need for physio? In terms of your return to work, the sooner you get better the less the insurers will eventually pay for loss of earnings, so its in everone's interests to get you functional again! Plus we don't want a bald barmybrummie!

Worse case - you could look at seeing a private physio, keeping the receipt and hoping this will be recoverable under your personal injury claim. An initial assessment is usually about £60, but at least they'd assess your progress, establish any huge issues and if need be - kick things into action.

Try and stay positive. Knee injury is a LONG process but you absolutely deserve to be getting the right rehab now.

Good luck

Lottie x :)

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »
Hi, Brummie lad,
                                 I totally agree with lottie, i have to say i was in a similar situation, except my PT worked on ROM, and only ROM,so at 4 1/2 months post-op he dismissed me having had only 5 appointments in total,and those were all 2 to 3 weeks apart.......once being given the boot, i came to realise there was more to this injury re-hab than just ROM, the whole leg has to be worked on,my leg strength was crap,hamstrings, VMO, and quads all weak.
Realising this i rang the physiotherapy dept who told me i had been released as ok, and cannot be re-instated with the same injury under a 12 months period.
So had to do it all by myself, with no professional help and advice, its not been easy but i now feel i am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,and now at 8 and 1/2 months post-op, i am finally getting somewhere, leg strength has come along, can now do stairs easily and painfree.
So all in all, things are looking good,but with no thanks to the NHS.
Do not let them release you from PT, unless you are completely satisfied that they can't do any-thing further for you,i was too naive at the time,and i thought i would be ok, and didn't question it,but soon realised i wasn't ok, but it was too late by then,i had been signed out.
Even my OS wrote 2 letters, saying i needed further treatment,but both were rejected.
If you need any exercises at all for VMO, quads, hamstrings,etc, let me know and i will email them to you,got loads of info from the internet,i had no other choice.

So good luck with your recovery,and i wish you well.
                   Kind Regards.
                                      Coral
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:53:12 PM by coral 251 »

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
Hello all and firstly let me wish you all happy new year, hope you all had a good one and didnt get too pie eyed and fall over lol.
Anyway, sorry not been on much ive been really stressed with everything, mainly the NHS so ive decided to take matters into my own hands and give the PT the boot once and for all. Im not gonna bother with them anymore, enough is enough my patience has wore  thin. So i have decided im gonna do my own excercises at home which i must say has helped big time, (thanks to coral for sending me them) and as a result, i can now lift my leg fully with minor pain and discomfort and hold it up for a while. My ROM still isnt that good but im working on that so hopefully come end of january i shall be back to work. My knee is still very stiff with little movement from my kneecap which also still needs a little work doing.
Without any doctors orders, ive decided since xmas that im walking on my bad leg with aid of crutches, i dont feel any pain and seems to be helping lots, i just took a walk to the shop, 1st time since the accident and it felt great, so sod the NHS im doing it my way. Im only bearing about 50-75% weight bearing and dont seem to be effecting me in any way.
I wish you all a great new year and lets hope we all see some major results in us all. Thanks again coral and fellow brummie lottiefox.

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
Hey BB,i wondered what was happening with you, Happy New Year to you as well by the way.
Know just what you mean about the NHS,i had lots of arguements with them,all to no avail, and all my complaints fell on deaf ears,but i have made more progress, going it alone.
Granted, it would be nice to have expert guidance,as sometimes you don't know if you are doing ant-thing to aggrivate your injury, but if some-thing i tried didn't feel right, i just stopped doing it,
I am sure you will be just fine, if you do everything in moderation,and if you do need any more exercises let me know, and i will gladly send you some.

You could get yourself to a local swimming pool on a quiet day, and do exercises in the water,this is brilliant, as it is far easier to exercise in water,it made lots of difference to me.
Now at 9 months post op, i feel great, not many probs at all,my leg is still a bit on the "skinny"side and my knee still looks a bit deformed, but i think that is down to the HW.
That being my next hurdle, but i have an appointment 4th Feb to see if it can now be removed, so i will let you know the outcome.
 So keep up the good work BB,and it will pay off in the end,i know you can do it,so good luck with the rest of your recovery, and keep us posted.
                 Kind Regards
                        Coral.

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
Hey BB, what's happening with you now, you haven't updated your progress lately,hope every-thing is ok with you, and you are recovering well,please update us,i am interested to know how you are progressing.
                     All the best.
                                  Coral

support