Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Banged my knee not sure if I've injurred it  (Read 45679 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Banged my knee not sure if I've injurred it
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
I can't believe what a stupid thing I've just done today.

I was at church and I moved to one saide to let someone past and banged my right knee (the one I had scoped) very hard on the side of a pew.  Almost right away I had a red line at the top of my kneecap and towards the outside where I hit it and I just couldn't believe the pain.  I can see I'm going to have an impressive bruise there soon.  I  can still walk OK so I'm hoping I havn't done anything too bad but I'm very worried that it might have knocked some cartliage off, damaged a ligament or encouraged the plica to grow back (my plica was in that region).

So I'm icing it like mad and if things get any worse I'm going to A & E.  I'm more worried about tomorrow than I am today because it will stiffen up and swell over night.

If I had a fracture on either the patella or the lfc, even just a small one woul di have been unable to walk?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Banged my knee not sure if I've injurred it
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
I would be very surprised if you have fractured anything banging it . Bruised soft tissue most likely. Ice it, slap on some arnica cream and take some paracetamol. Bones are pretty hard. It took me coming off a bike at 15mph onto concrete to damage the cartilage.  Rest up and trying not to think the worst. :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
Thanks Vick.

When you've got knee problems already it makes you more snesitive when things like this happen.

I'm lots of ie and taking diclofenac and maybe I'll put a little voltarol on the bruised area.

One thing that is worrying is that my last mri on that knee backing december 0- said that my patella and lfc had some bone loss so if it gets any worse I'll have it checked out.  Plus the pew I hit was very heavy and fixed in place if it had been something light I don't think I'd be anywhere near as worried.  But I can still walk OK so hopefully I havn't broken or fractured anything.

Thanks again.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Indeed, we do become much more aware of bangs and knocks - but just think how many times as a kid you fell, banged things etc and didn't break anything.  Bones are pretty strong really! I bet you had permanently bruised and scraped knees and didn't think anything of it :)

I wellied the side of my bad knee about 2 days after this scope when I slipped getting in the bath to have a shower...I managed to do it twice in quick succession  ::)  Hurt of course, but I just ended up with another new bruise for my troubles!

Be careful if taking diclofenac,, as Voltaren gel contains the same active ingredient (check the packet for contraindications), but Arnica really is the best thing for preventing (or at least relieving) bruising...I get through plenty of the stuff  ::)  At least it's natural stuff  :)  Should be able to get in local Boots or big supermarket

Is the knee very swollen now a couple of hours have passed - usually a sign of something more than a bruise (although not necessarily).  If it does swell a lot, see the doc, but bruises do unfortunately hurt too, but go away with patience - just think of all the pretty colours it will go through while it heals, your very own rainbow  ;D
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
When I was a kid of could drop straight down onto my knees on a wood floor and jump straigth back up or skin them on gravel or break a branch accross them.  Now it's like having a glass knee.

The swelling is in a funny palce thoug.  When I stand it is on the kneecap put when I sit down and bend the knee it is actually on the area wjust above which is normally coered by the kneecap when the knee is straight.  So it could be the trouchlea, it dfinatly isn't weight bearing.  i;ve had the ice on 3 times and it seems a bit stiff but it hasn't gone squidgy yet.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
You really do not have a glass knee now, you just think you do - because you have been told that you have some minor damage that everyone your age probably has.  The difference being you are aware of it from the MRI ;) 

You are still young and fit...not an old dear with osteoporosis :)

Just chill out, watch some TV and stop thinking about it and looking for issues.  Hey go cycling as I just did, yeah it's cold, wet and windy but fresh air is great and so was my skinny latte!  ;D  Or have a bath maybe

I suspect my right knee has wear and tear like the left but I don't think about it as I haven't been told about it or seen any pictures of it.  I get aches and pains in that one too, but no swelling, just put it down to whatever I have been doing. Dealing with any chronic condition takes mind over matter IMO   :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
Is it worth alternating hot and cold at this stage or should I just use cold.

I'm in too much pain for cycling, I'd rather things settle down first

Could I have damaged my trouchlear or would that be too deep to damage by banging.

Bones are hard but iron and oak are a bit harder so I'll ty and give it some tlc and see how things go.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I always find a bath good for aches and pains.  Don't ice too much, 15 minutes, every couple of hours. Elevate too above heart. Take paracetamol for the pain if it is that bad, as well as the NSAIDs :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
I've been very lucky with ice, not to get ice burns as more than once I've fallen asleep ith the icepack on.

I'm going to put some more on now and tkae my next diclofenac.  I find it works best but you ahve to get the full 3 tablets in a day for a minummum of 3 days for it to do anything.

On the plus side I'm looking forward to the pretty colours.

I jsut had a chat with my auntie who fractured her patella a few years ago and she said that right away she couldn't walk and even bending it was excruciating.  4 hours after the injury and the injurred knee was thicker than both legs put together and too sore to touch.  So no I don't think there's a fracture and I don't think it would have damaged my already crumbling acl i just hope it didn't mess up my chrondoplasty which copuld have failed anyway.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »
Cool.  I broke my big toe and it swelled like crazy.  Even then the hospital nurse was surprised it was fractured.  I am sure all is intact, just bruised and sore from the impact

Make sure you eat with the diclofenac and I assume you have your ice pack wrapped in a cloth :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
Oh no I never put it straight on the skin.

Come to think of it I once fractured my middle finger blocking a kick in Karate training and it swelling up like mad once I stopped moving it and went black and the skin aroudn the joint felt like it would burst because it was so inflated.  I used a splint and took lots of paracetamol and NSAIDs (not at the same time) and it was good as new in a couple of momths.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Your trochlear groove sits under the kneecap so I doubt you've damaged that! Cartilage also doesn't just fall off unless you've had an ACUTE trauma, and it doesn't sound like one, despite it hurting like hell.

Relax. Even when we have slightly bummed out parts our joints don't degenerate through banging them on an object. If so, no one would be walking around, we'd all be in hospital! Ice it at the moment, you shouldn't heat a new injury as the inflammation is at an acute stage.

I smacked my kneecap on holiday - a lovely bruide came up but no further problems and I have loads of wear and tear.

I'd stop going to church. Dangerous to your health  :P

Get well soon

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »
Sounds like it's settling down, but just an FYI for you - Vicks is right about the Voltaran. I was told not to use it while I was taking Diclofenac because they have the same active ingredient, and it's very important not to take too much of it.

If it's any reassurance, I once came off a motorbike onto directly concrete on my right knee - no padding (I was young and foolish and hadn't invested in armoured pants) - and all I did was cause some really nasty bone bruising. The bruising and swelling made it hard to walk for a couple of days, and the whole joint was very sore, but there wasn't that really sharp, excruciating pain that comes with a broken bone. As you say, I think you'd be well aware by now if something was broken. The ACL is at risk during twisting falls or severe impacts where the foot remains planted and the leg twists, so it shouldn't have suffered any harm from a nasty bash on a pew.

Keep up the icing and NSAIDs, and hopefully it will settle down in a day or two. It's funny how bad knees seem to become lightning rods for every knock, slip and jolt...
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
People ahve been wearing out their knees at church for centuries, didn't you know church is notoriously bad for your knees.  Maybe I should tka emy chance with the Dojo if the physio didn't tell me I was at risk of dislocation.  Before I knew what was wrong with my knees I managed 15 years of Karte, training everyday some weeks and never had so much as a twinge in the knees.

Did you know St James is the patron saint of Arthritis and St Roche is the patron of knees.

By the way the bruise is coming nicely; its a very strong red at the moment

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
Why are you at risk of dislocation when you managed ok before - I know nothing about martial arts by the way!?

Missed that Arnica boat, oh dear  :P
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15