Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How to safely regain full extension and flexion  (Read 1255 times)

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
How to safely regain full extension and flexion
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »
Hi All,
I will try to make a long story short!  ACLr on Aug 30th.  Developed medial plica and frayed lateral meniscus.  Had arthroscopy Dec.23rd.  I am having some issues regaining full flexion, and have not regained the same extension as I have in my left leg.  I have a degree of hyperextension in my left leg, but my rt. leg in not equal.  I am having difficulty activating my quads effectively, and have a huge amount of muscle loss. I have past back issues and am now finding that this is aggravating that problem.  I do have some scar tissue in my knee, which my PT is actively treating.  How aggressive should PT act on this without damaging the acl graft, and without putting me at risk for arthrofibrosis?  Thanks ;D

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline kerrylaser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How to safely regain full extension and flexion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
hi there. i am having the exact same issue. However havnt had my ACL surgery yet. the surgeon wont do it till I have full extention and flexion. which isnt happening. I have alot of scar tissue.. and really dont know what else to do!

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Re: How to safely regain full extension and flexion
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Hi kerrylaser,
I have actually improved a great deal since this I posted this.  Lots and lots of physio and ice.  I now have some hyperextension and am almost able to obtain full flexion.  I hope you get to where you need to be soon so you can have your reconstruction.

w
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

support