Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scheduled revision 10 days away, what ablut life style changes?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline fischbein

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scheduled revision 10 days away, what ablut life style changes?
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
With knee surgery, complex revisisn, just 10 days away, I have been re reading the Orthopedic literature from N.I.H, and major University med school journals. This will be knee surgery #13.  The doc's at 4 University centers have done every possile test fro infection with negative results.  However most say there are a high degree of false negatives and only tissue samples during surgery will tell for sure. With pain off the chart, and no life for two years, I have learned that revision surgery when there is no specific cause for extreme chronic pain do not have good outcomes.  I have read that some doc's suggest major lifestyle changes as alternative to revision.  Since yesterday I have tried that.  When I wake I take a 30mg morphine pill, and apply ice to knee at once.  Rather thank walk around house I go directly to my power wheelchair, and use my power scooter when going out.  Results are really good.  Pain is way down and I can get through the day with just 90mg total morphine.  My surgeon and others have said there is a good chance that I can benefit from revision, but it could also make things worse.  My life befoire I tried these major changes was pure hell.  I have to give up a cello performance career, could not plan social events etc.  If I keep in the wheelchair and scooter I might get good relief simply staying off the leg and avoid a throw of the dice surgey.
I would be interested in hearing from others who may have chosen major life style changes over revision or athrodesis, and how it worked out.  If I did cancel this close to the surgery date the doc. I chose after a lot of looking may not be too happy and at very least I would have to wait another four months to get a surgery date since he book that far out.  Any thoughts please.  P.S.  I am in my mid 60's and a bit slower life style would not really hurt.  Although I would be pretty much tied to a wheelchair, which may happen anyway if the surgery was not the cure.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Scheduled revision 10 days away, what ablut life style changes?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »
My knee injury made me more or less have to change my lifestyle. After a simple slipping on ice and numerous surgeries I one day developed RSD/CRPS, a painful nervcondition with pain 24/7 no matter what I do or don't do BUT if I do more the pain get worse. It's a fine line to say what's enough. I was in and out in hospital as I couldn't manage the pain. They tried everything and in end I was set to have a spinal morphine pump, but the doc blew it all and I was stuck with the pain still and on top a spinal damage.
It has been a challenge to go from totally dependant on others to go to toilet or do any moves and on lots of painkillers to now (still in wheelchair 24/7 as I can't walk due to pain and spinal damage) since one week no painkillers and adjust the day to how my body feels.
I have gone trough a lot of PT during these years to strenghten what can get stronger.
But I sort of had to give up too much of fight to get me a descent life. And now I am here and have a pretty good life.
I think you should really discuss the issue over with the docs again what the outcome can be for you. What is most important is that you can get a life that pleases you that gives you a future. Hey, you are still young !
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support