Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS recovery and follow up  (Read 699 times)

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
OATS recovery and follow up
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
On May 15 2009 I had an oats procedure performed on my left knee. This was following  2 years of trying to correct the issues with less invasive procedures. there was great inprovement following the surgery. I went thru several months of of therpy. Following therpy and work conditioning I returned to work with the following restrictions. NO kneeling and only occational squating. I have been back to work as a semi driver for 10 months now. I am in some pain and discomfort on a daily basis. I return to the O/S in a couple months for a follow up. I am not sure what to expect. If I tell him about pain and discomfort and he adds more restictions I am sure I will be let go. Who wants to look for another job in this economy. I love what I do. I have been doing this for over 20 years.
  I quess my question is What should I expect the O/S to check just as a follow-up at the 2 year point. Will he want a new MRI done to check healing? I would think x-ray at minium. I had one 6 months ago due to tumor in the same knee. at that time tumor Dr thought every think looked good.
 I was told prior to oats that if sucessful the OATS procedure would last a life time. At what point is it considerd sucessful? Is there a time frame or growth point of the new cartiledge.
 Thank you for reading my thoughts and responding with yours.

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
Re: OATS recovery and follow up
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
I had OATS and ACL in Oct 2009, with a further LR and MR in Sept 2010.
It was in Sept that they told me the OATS had failed.
I too am in pain daily from the defect in the MFC, can't stand on one leg or shift weight onto it without pain.
Walking is OK, running is out, but you have to get on with your life.

I go back to see my OS in 2 weeks time, about the MFC defect and the tracking of the patella and what if anything they might do next.

OATS should last a lifetime, but if the forces in the knee/leg aren't correct, as I suspect mine isn't, then it's hard to imagine that it will work permanently.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

support