Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scared to bend knee post acl op....  (Read 1693 times)

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Scared to bend knee post acl op....
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
My son is scared to bend his knee post acl hamstring reconstruction yesterday. 

He is frightened it will come away from its fixing to the bone.... Has anyone got any advice as to how I could encourage him to do so?  He has a sheet of exercises to do but will not do the ones where he has to bend his knee?

Was anyone else the same? How did you get the confidence to do so?  Thanks
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Scared to bend knee post acl op....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:34:57 AM »
Tell him that if he doesn't start bending the knee right away, it's going to stiffen up, and its going to be 10 times harder to get the range of motion back, and that  if scar tissue sets up and makes things stick together in there, he'll so wish he had been bending the knee from day one! Start easy, and work the joint. Not very fun, and ice it down after you do the exercises, but you gotta do it religiously, or you won't get the range of motion, or full function back in a reasonable time.

This is from experience, I've had 6 knee surgeries, and know that if you don't start moving it asap, it stiffens up. It also swells more when you do finally get it going with a therapist manipulating it (which hurts like dickens from watching others go through it), which adds to pain levels, and that also makes moving it a bit rougher.

You're better off working on it yourself from day one, before even officially going to therapy, to get that joint working, because if you wait, you'll pay for it later. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some now, but if you wait, it's really gonna hurt later breaking up scar tissue that sets in because you didn't move it.

Take a painkiller an hour before you plan on doing the exercises, so you won't feel so sore, and do them exactly as instructed, the prescribed number of times, then ice the knee after. Man up and start with it now while it's actually easier, because if you don't, you'll really wish you had.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
(MUM OF son in PAIN - he's not a pain really!!!)

Thank you dm.  He has started now.  Yesterday (48 hours after the op) when we removed the megga post op wadding and bandage he started doing all the exercises on the pt sheet given to us at the hosp. Massive swelling did proceed so we iced up and have carried on doing the prescribed sessions. 

He has his first physio on Tues.  I'm very interested to see how far they will safely push the knee...
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:28:51 PM »
As soon as the OS and physio advise, get him into a swimming pool.
The water will give confidence, but make him work it harder and the ROM will improve.

But, wait until the OS and physio give the OK!
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

support