Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Maci covered by Bupa?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline kframe96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Maci covered by Bupa?
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if Bupa will cover the maci surgery? I had it 4 years ago but cigna refused to pay so I had to pay myself. I may need it again as I have damaged the graft playing football!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Maci covered by Bupa?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
I believe they do.  When I went through a recent ordeal to get my health insurance company to cover it (they did finally agree but with a lot of information needed from the surgeon), the surgeon's secretary said BUPA do cover.  However, does your policy cover pre-existing conditions?  I guess you need to call BUPA and ask, as it may depend on the terms of your own policy?  Has your surgeon said that it is definitely needed?

After all my hassle, I wasn't suitable in the end!  ::)

Good luck with getting it sorted  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kframe96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Maci covered by Bupa?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
Vickster,

Thanks for your reply. I believe it does cover pre existing, as they just paid for an arthroscopy relating to it! I only changed insurer as Bupa now provide the cover (through my employer) as my employer changed it's supplier.

As you say, I am not sure I need it yet, visiting the doc again in 3 months to assess my recovery further. Fingers crossed. Was looking for some kind of peace of mind as I had to pay 13k last time, I could definitely not afford to do that again!

Thanks for your best wishes, hope your knees are doing well!