Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How Soon Can I Leave Hospital?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Z u l u

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How Soon Can I Leave Hospital?
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
Hey guys and girls, i have my ACL Recon set for the 18th of january ( less than a week now yay!)

My operation is at about 2pm in the afternoon.

I was wondering if i would be out of hospital that same day?

On a side note how painful and difficult is it to move around directly after a recon?

Thanks in advance =]

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: How Soon Can I Leave Hospital?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »
Hey there! Good luck with your surgery...I think you may be the board's first ACLr of 2011!

I went in for my op at 7.45am and woke up at about 9.30am in recovery. They took me back through to the day surgery ward at 10am, and discharged me at around noon - I was home and tucked up on the couch by 2pm. I know in the UK they often keep people in overnight, but here (Canada) and the US it's normally a day surgery unless there are complications.

I think pain levels depend a bit on what kind of graft you have - allografts sound a lot less painful than autografts. I had a hamstring autograft and was in a lot of pain right after the surgery, although I was still able to move around okay when I needed to - it wasn't any more painful to be moving than lying still. My mistake was that I didn't get on the painkillers as quickly as I should have done after I was discharged, and once the pain got ahead of me it was very difficult to catch up. Once I'd gotten back on top of it, it was unpleasant but manageable. I definitely encourage you to stay on top of the meds, take them promptly and set your alarm to take them on time through the night for the first few days after surgery. It's actually surprising how fast the pain improves; I was able to halve the dose of pain meds a few days in, and stop them completely after a week. It's those first days after surgery when you need to be on top of things.

Best of luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Z u l u

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:14:15 AM »
I may well be lol, 2 days before my birthday though kinda sucks =[

Thanks for the info, it would be great if i could go home the same day but i think its probable that will stay overnight =[

Thanks for the tip on the painkillers, hopefully it wont last too long.

Cheers

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
It probably depends on the hospital and surgeon protocols. I had a PCL reconstruction, I went into the OR at around 9 or 9:30, in recovery at about 11:30, 12, and I went home at about 4. I had spinal anesthesia, and it took about an hour for the spinal to wear off. Once it wore off, I had to meet with the physical therapist in recovery to learn to use the crutches, and teach whatever exercises I had to do, but then I got quite nausesous from the Percocet so I had to stay a bit longer until that feeling passed. I know at the hospital I used to work at, patients would stay overnight for pain control. I'm not sure how different the PCL is from the ACL, but I had very little pain post op, I didn't need anything more than Aleve for pain control.

As far as moving around, others will have to chime in that had experience, but where I had my surgery, they tend to do all the knee surgeries in the morning, and most of them were ACL recons, I was the only PCL. They were all weight bearing as tolerated from the get go, and were able to move and bend their knee, whereas I had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks in a straight leg brace, and could only bend it during therapy. But I did learn how to get around pretty well on the crutches.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
They showed you how to use crutches? Wow, when I had knee surgery way back, they didn't give me crutches, show me how to use them or anything. I had to hop on one foot from the curb to the car as they basically shoved me out of the door. I had an epidural that i had a horrendously bad reaction to and they still sent me home 2 hrs after surgery.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »
Hi Zulu.  My 16 year old son had his acl reconstruction this morning, brought forward from 9th Feb as there was a cancellation.  He went in at 8.20am and was back in the ward by 10.40am. He did really well and recovered from the anesthetic well.  He was given morphine immediately after surgery in recovery and had a mild reaction to it which went almost as soon as it came (red blotches).  Because of the reaction to the morphine and a bit of dizziness resulting from it he was not discharged until 5.30pm.  We are in London and the nurses in our ward said all acl recons are day clinic now.

Got him back home safety, bit of a job getting in and out of the car as you cannot bend your leg unless your foot is touching the floor (really tricky). He cannot bend his leg at the moment but pain is bearable and he is happy as he expected to be in a lot more pain so all good at the mo. Going to try and encourage him to do some physio this evening and start proper tomorrow.

Will follow good advice from Snowy and make sure I keep his pain meds topped up.

Wishing you well for the 18th.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
They showed you how to use crutches? Wow, when I had knee surgery way back, they didn't give me crutches, show me how to use them or anything. I had to hop on one foot from the curb to the car as they basically shoved me out of the door. I had an epidural that i had a horrendously bad reaction to and they still sent me home 2 hrs after surgery.

Wow, that sounds brutal. I had great care at the hospital. They said if I had my own crutches, I can bring them, or they can give them to me at the hospital. And not only did the PT show me how to hop with the crutches, he was incredibly good looking, strong, and quick on his feet. I can vouch for his strength and quickness cause he caught me a couple times as I tried to get around the nurses station. He also showed me how to use the stairs with crutches and made sure I could go up and down before I could go home. But I'll admit, I had the surgery done at a great place, the hospital only does ortho cases, so they know what they're doing.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline fischbein

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
Post operative discharge decisions are made hour by hour by nurses, surgeons and anesthesia docs.  No one who has made suggestions can do anything but guess, and that is not good in medical issues.  You need to call you orthopods office, speak with his nurse and ask what is the usual discharge procedure with your type of surgery.  Is it late P.M., or does your doc. usually keep you overnight, even then it is a guess as no one knows how much pain relief you need, what if any issues with post anesthesia, vomiting, high or low blood pressure, etc will come into play.  best thing is to take a deep breath, forget about what non medical pundits say and speak to your doc.  I am sure he will tell you it depends upon a lot of things post op.
Good luck.