Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I think I have a good little story  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Christina

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • May you live every day of your life
I think I have a good little story
« on: October 26, 2003, 07:15:37 AM »
On May 2nd of this year, I was participating in something aptly called the "waiter's olympics" as advertisement for the restaraunt that I worked for.  One of the events that was taking place was a hurdle jumping race.  Problem was that they used police barriers (which came up to my waist) for the hurdles...needless to say the hurdle won.

I fractured tibial plateau (right), and my wrist (left).  The swelling was unbelieveable and I had never been in so much pain in my entire life, but I refused to take an ambulance (I didn't want to admit that it was broken).  Since I didn't take an ambulance the doctor's at the urgent care center did not think my injury was that serious (even though my leg literally swelled up to twice its normal size) until they took the x-rays.  After that the doctor said he verbatum that he did not want to touch my leg at all he was sending me right to the ER.

I didn't get a chance to look at the x-rays until I got to the ER where they told me I would have to wait about ten days for my surgery because of the amount of swelling in my leg...but by that time I was on a lot...and I mean a lot of pain killers so I really didn't know how bad it was until I got home and looked at the x-ray and my knee was cracked down one side more then 3/4 of the way, and hanging down and off to the side.

After waiting four days I finally got in to consult with my surgeon, and my surgery was to take place exactly one week after my accident.  I ended up with three screws and some type of bolt in my knee.  My muscle completly collapsed, and since I had a broken wrist it was extremely hard getting around on crutches.  My doctor said I would not be able to put weight on it for at least 8 weeks, and wouldn't be able to fully walk for 12 weeks.  I was told that the screws would not have to be removed that quote "people walk around with them everyday and have no problems"  I was absolutly expecting the worse to come from this situation though.
My PT sent me home with a booklet after my first visit saying it was poitless to have me there because I could do everything he wanted to work with me on...he told me to just work on the exercises in the booklet

On my first follow up (two weeks after my surgery) I had full ROM in my leg.  This astonished my doctor who informed me that i was healing five to six weeks ahead of schedual.  Especially since I never really used the CPM...but when I did use it I had it all the way up to 130*...What surprised my surgeon even more was that after six weeks i was able to walk again.  He advised me against it saying the screws couldn't hold too much weight...but ummm...I'm a real bad listener...On my third follow up he told me I dogged a bullet with walking so soon...He sent me back to work waiting tables with few restrictions soon after, and I was happier then ever.

I went for about a month with minor pain.  But the more time that past, the more pain I was in.  Every now and then my muscle would begin to spasim and I would fall if I were carring too much weight.  Then I started feeling pain just walking.  I started limping if I were on my leg too long.  There were times when it would hurt to bend my knee.  If I'm sitting down for too long my knee locks up and it is difficult for me to stand or walk.  Taking stairs is almost impossible, and I live on the third floor of an apt. complex.

Now the pain is almost unbearable, and because my knee hurts it naturally bends forward.  With that I began to bend my back forward to evenly distribute the weight.  Well now the muscles in my back are inflamed.  I'm really not a doctor person...I would rather sit around and tolerate pain then go see them.  So when I went to the doctor he knew something was wrong.

I told him about the types of pain I was having and he automatically touched the spot that hurts so unbelieveably much.  And without hesitation told me the hardware needed to come out.  He said the bone was completly healed and that the screws were basically rubbing against my skin and bone because of the way they were in my bone....I knew it was going to happen.
I was acctually afraid that the bone slipped from my walking on it too soon...but he reasured me that the bone was fine and that it was just the screws rubbing against the skin and bone.

I really am lucky that I healed this fast and this quickly because mentally I couldn't handle it any longer...I mean its so stressful to be without a limb for so long and to be in so much pain for so long...I don't know how people deal with it for longer then I had to...I don't think I could have lasted any longer.

So far my surgery and recovery were pretty much a sucess...Physically I healed very very very ahead of schedual (mentally is a different story)...I needed no PT...My suergeon was excelent...I mean phenominal...The pain was next to impossible to deal with but you learn to deal with it...Now the only thing I have to worry about is how much pain I'm going to be in after my next surgery...but from what I heard its not nearly as evassive so...I'll keep it posted
Tib. Plateau fracture 5-2-03, fixation surgery 5-9-03, Three screws and a bolt, hardware removal 11-5-03, arthoscopic surgery 5-13-04 repairs were made to my lateral miniscus

Offline Christina

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • May you live every day of your life
Re: I think I have a good little story
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 11:15:10 AM »
I just had my hardware removed, and Now I'm complete...I have three screws removed last wednesday from my tibial plateau...It was outpatient so I was home within two hours after my surgery...The pain afterwards was minimal...I could walk right away...I had a lot of bleeded though that caused me to see a dr. Two times after my surgery...Swelling lasted about a week and a day...But the pain that my hardware was causing is completely gone (except for one spot) and my OS did a scar revision that made my keloid almost non existant and in a few weeks with some mederma you probably wont even be able to tell I had multiple surgeries :D
Tib. Plateau fracture 5-2-03, fixation surgery 5-9-03, Three screws and a bolt, hardware removal 11-5-03, arthoscopic surgery 5-13-04 repairs were made to my lateral miniscus

support