Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post arthroscopy  (Read 1455 times)

Offline lawsj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post arthroscopy
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Hi
I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with some advice, On wednesday i had a knee arthroscopy with Plica removed and patella chondroplasty. It was only day surgery and all went pretty much to plan, the only complication being that they had to stich the incisions in the end as they kept pulling open with just steri strips.
Thurs at home i felt fine, very litte pain and only some swelling so i was up and about pottering around, in hindsight i prob did a bit too much. My problem is that since Fri my knee has become more and more swollen! still not too painful but really swollen, if i make a concious effort to ice and elevate the swelling goes down but as soon as i am up and and about again i can see it swelling! should i be worried? should i just carry on now and ignore the swelling? I was sent home with crutches as was quite unstable on the leg initially but to be honest i expected to be off them by now?

No signs of infection in that there is very little heat with the swelling and no redness, as i said pain isnt too bad but ROM is limited because of the extent of the swelling?

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Post arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »
You've kind of answered your own question....pottering about the day after a scope isn't the best plan. Minimally invasive refers to how they get into your knee, not necessarily how your knee feels. You've had two instruments stuck into your knee joint, cartilage tampered with, a plica cut out and then fluid washed through it, whilst the surgeon wiggles it every which way but loose to see how things are doing. Not really surprising that it swells up! Rest it for a few days, elevate, ice, and get back to activity gradually. Even a "simple" scope takes a few weeks to get over as it is a trauma to the joint.

Sometimes people need to use crutches for a week or more, depends on the person. If you knee is swelling then you're doing too much. Listen to your body. ROM will be limited if it swells. Try and stay off it for 48 hours, keep it up, ice it and see how it feels. If you have pain in the calf, heat, redness, etc then contact your doc for his opinion....

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
Lottiefox is right.  I had a 2nd scope on 16 Dec, I was pretty swollen for a week and only now am I back to my 'normal' level of swelling.  You have had quite a lot done ultimately.  Are you doing the exercises 3-5x a day as prescribed by the physio (seems pretty normal assuming you are in the UK) - they help with how the knee feels and to get it back to normal.  Always ice for 10 minutes after each exercise session or increase in activity.  It's certainly very normal to be swollen around the portals - indeed, this can last for ever according to my surgeon

Do use the crutches, especially if out and about.  I didn't use them much this time, but for my first scope (similar amount of work to you, except I had a partial menisectomy rather than plica), I used them almost continually for a week even around the house and then on and off for 2 more weeks.

Also, take the full prescribed dose of any anti-inflammatory.  If you don't have any, just take ibuprofen (400mg at least 3x a day) as long as you don't have any allergies or intolerance - always take with food as they are not the gentlest on the tummy :)

Sure you'll be on the mend soon, just take it easy :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:15:06 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »
Vickster,
I had medial plica excision and lateral meniscus shaving on Dec. 23rd.  I am still limping, and have quite a bit of swelling, but silly me can't seem to stay off the leg.  I too have a decrease in swelling when I elevate and ice, but as soon as I am up around, it swells like crazy.  Stay off of it and ice it!  You are only 4 days post op.  You don't count the day it was done.  I had to use crutches when out and about for about a week after.  I was OK around the house.  I hope you feel better soon

emergRN
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »
I think your reply was aimed at lawsj and not me, but what you say certainly holds true :)

I am a bit over 3 weeks post scope, I did almost nothing for a week or so after mine - one trip to the supermarket with crutches and a meal out.  Not helped by a load of snow and ice here in the UK (ok, nowt by Canadian standards, but the UK is hopeless when it comes to any sort of inclement weather, even rain!)

Good luck with your recovery.  Glad to read that your calf pain doesn't have a sinister cause :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
OOPS! :o...and Thank you Vickster!

emergRN
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:25:11 PM by emergRN »
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »
Not to worry  ;D 

I had my lateral meniscus trimmed last February too.  I now appear to be wearing out my lateral cartilage, what fun
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
lawsj,

I have not had patella chondroplasty, but can speak for the plica removal. I had plica removal in October and my knee felt really good the day of the surgery and days after. In hindsight, rest and be as cautious as possible with activity. With the plica removal, since a lot of the work is in the inside part of the knee (assuming its a medial plica), you don't want to put pressure on that part of the knee afterwards. So, avoid anything that is going to especially add stress to the parts of the knee that are trying to heal since it can definitely slow down healing.

Ice as much as possible. After surgery, I was given a wrap and 2 different ice packs for the wrap. If there is still a lot of swelling, any time you are sitting down and especially after the exercises, wear the ice around the knee. I did this and I'm not saying it completely ridded the knee of swelling, but it definitely helped a lot. Then if there's still swelling even though you're using ice, see what can be done at PT to try to get the swelling out of the knee.

Good luck with your recovery!

support