Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Have I torn my meniscus??  (Read 2782 times)

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Have I torn my meniscus??
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Hi

13 weeks ago I knelt down whilst holding my 4 year old daughter, heel to bum and felt severe tightening and pain.  It lasted as long as I bent down and improved when standing. For the next 4 days the knee was sore but not anything too bad until it began to lock, this lasted 2 days, then went and has not come back since.  I had it checked by a physio who initiated a positive McMurrays test on my left knee indicating a medial meniscal tear.  I also had joint line pain with little swelling.  I had an MRI scan 3 weeks later which was negative!!

Last April (6 months before injury) I went to my GP with the knee pain who said my left leg where the pain was, had reduced muscle mass (compared to the right thigh) and set me off on some exercises which I did do as well as running, triathlons, football etc..

I get occasional bone joint line pain now at approx 2 O'Clock when I look down at my left knee, but the worst problem now is persistent aching which is alleviated by a heat compress and NSAID's.  I'm swimming, cycling and doing leg strengthening exercises but becoming disheartened by it all and still have 4 weeks to wait until I see my Ortho Surgeon.

Has anyone any thoughts, ideas or suggestions as what I may have done and how to combat it????

forgot to add that x-ray showed no Arthritis as have had numerous injuries playing football.

thanks

ILM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:43:30 PM by ILM »

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Re: Have I torn my meniscus??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:40:15 AM »
Question?
Does your pain come on while doing your activities, or does the pain occur after the exercise??

emergRN
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »
It generally aches during the day regardless of activities but gets better after 5 mins of exercise, as though It's then warmed up and ready to go. Was sat last night with knee pointing out lateraly and moved after 10mins and got Sharp pains on medial side of left bone joint line from tibia, will remember to sit properly when watching tv in the future!

Going cycling this morning so will see how it copes with that.

ILM

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
ILM,

I would suggest that if it doesn't settle down, go back to your MD.  I had similar medial knee pain with a negative MRI, but I ended up with a medial plica that was rubbing against my medial meniscus.  Keep on top of it!  If you have any catching or locking, you should go see your MD!  I find ice and NSAIDS very helpful.  You mention your GP, but have you been referred to an OS for further evaluation??

emergRN 

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »
I have my appt with OS in 2 wks time which will be 16wks waiting, great NHS, and I work in it too and still couldn't get seen any quicker. Cycled 20 miles the last 2 Sundays with little pain whilst cycling. Still aches lots during and at the end of the day. Getting an U/S this Wednesday then OS in 2 weeks.

What's a medial plica and how can it be rectified?

ILM

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
This explains a bit http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/830

Good luck with your appointment
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »
ILM,

The plica is just a band of tissue and the medial plica would be the band of tissue on the inside part of the knee. I had constant knee problems with pain in the exact same spot on the inside part of the knee, but the MRI never showed a torn meniscus or other ligament problems.

If conservative treatment doesn't work (i.e. PT, NSAIDs, cortisone, etc.) then the medial plica can be surgically removed. I would try as many conservative options as possible first though. I had the medial plica completely removed and have had a lot of problems since.

Hope your knee starts feeling better soon!

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
Had u/s today by msk consultant and that showed thickening of MCL which is not surprising due to excessive trauma whilst playing footie. No medial plica seen on mri (they checked it again and previous xray)  so I'm back to square one waiting for OS appt in 2 wks time. Thanks for all your advice. I'll update when I know more.

ILM

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
one last thing, when I went to see GP 9 months ago he said my left thigh had reduced muscle mass than the right and gave me some exercises which I have to admit I did on and off.
I've just measured both thighs and the left is nearly 2 cms smaller than the right, now that's a lot in my book. I'm doing leg extensions and lifts, any other thigh strengthening exercises I can do??
I'm thinking that having one thigh so much smaller is not helping my knee pain, or is this the real reason behind everything I've experienced?????

ILM

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »
Hi
I'm now 7 months down the road from my initial injury. An update. Knee is a lot better and rehab has increased thigh size.

Recently though I'm getting constant aching and throbbing from the knee itself and occasionally the medial meniscus tweak when I turn, not nice. I have a steroid injection booked for this Thursday so hope that will relieve pain in the interim as sure I'll need arthroscopy.

Anyone got experiences from these injections?

Thanks

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
Hi again!

I did have a steroid injection, but it didn't work for me.  I guess it really depends on what the underlying pathology of your problem is.  They seem to work for some, but not for others.  You will have to give it a week to see if there is going to be any improvement.  It is also recommended to take it easy for a few days following the injection.  I did have some discomfort following the injection after the anesthetic wore off.  Ice was the most helpful pain reliever.  That does not happen to everyone either!

W

Offline justwonderin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
ILM

Thanks fr the info. funny you say your knee was hurt in sports accidents? all the symptoms you describe are exactly mine. Yet - i was injured in a car accident and now my knee always hurts. I was told it was my meniscus tear. but upon arthoscopic it was not? Can you if you can elaborate how your knee was injured in football? did u crash into spomething? i have been cleared of every possible cause - arithis, i'm not over weight, fairly active for a man of almost 50! but once my knee was crashed into - most has changed. can't be as active as i was - end of day is when i really feel it. The arthro is pretty easy no worries there. your not being operated for arithis or anything like that. thank u for your information, it really helps me.

Offline ILM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
Hi

long time no reply, I had conservative treatment for this knee injury which did nothing, saw OS 3 months ago and had an arthroscopy today.
it showed that I had a medial Plica which was trimmed and removed.  Home now and bandaged up. Little sore, off work for 3/52 (PS3 time of course)
No meniscal tear which is good for long term prognosis.  Apparently medial plica pain is likened to a medial meniscal tear though not all my symptoms were classic meniscal symptoms.  My physio was unsure what was going on due to the varied pain and discomfort, I just hope that this is it and I can crack on strengthening my left thigh which is still significantly smaller than my non affected right leg.

has anyone any thoughts or experiences of post plica trimming and when to realistically start exercising again?
OS said potentially small jogs in 2-3 weeks, keen to hear from those who have been in same position.

thanks

ILM

support