Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HEEELLLPPPP Worried SICK  (Read 4328 times)

Offline nmf3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HEEELLLPPPP Worried SICK
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:25:30 AM »
Hi guys,

I am 4 weeks post op from a TTO.  I have had a relatively wonderful recovery so far. Minimal pain, successful PT and limited swelling...that was BEFORE I returned to work this week.  Now my leg looks like a grapefruit everyday and I am having new pain near my surgery site.  I am sooooo petrified my screws are coming out or something.  I know it sounds realistic to think that if that DID happen the pain would be agonizing right....

I hate having this feeling on a Friday without being able to call my OS.  Please...anyone...I am seeking some reassurance...

Is my knee calling out to me bc it was use to being immobilized and elevated and all of a sudden it has to be vertical at work most of the day....are my screws coming out!! :(

OMG I am so scared!!!!
Lateral Release Left Knee 11/2000
Lateral Release Right Knee 12/2010
Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Right Knee 12/2010

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: HEEELLLPPPP Worried SICK
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:09 AM »
Don't panic!

Your leg is more than likely protesting at the sudden change in doing just rehab to suddenly being asked to get up, get washed and dressed, travel to work, be vertical..and so on......you're a teacher is that right? 4 weeks is not that long since the op in many ways so I'd be perhaps thinking of another bout of time spent dedicated to rehab. too much swelling won't help your long term healing and will hold you back in PT. The minute you get more swelling your PT capacity will go down. I think its really unlikely your screws are coming out - probably just swelling pressure on the screw site.

Try not to worry all weekend, elevate, ice and basic PT work and perhaps review the whole back to work conceot for a couple of weeks?

Lottie  :)

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »
nmf3
Please don't panic it is just the swelling causing increased pressure and pain.  Best thing you can do is put the leg above your heart and ice.  You should be doing this after work immediately when you arrive home.  You need to spend the biggest part of today that way.  Don't bother with anything else except if it is life or death. Remember your OS broke your leg and swelling goes along with that for a very long time after. But it is very important to elevate that is the biggest reliever of swelling. Also do your ankle pumps to help. 
Take Care, and let us know how it goes.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline fischbein

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
A PATIENT SHOULD NEVER SELF DIAGNOSE A SWELLING OR INCREASED PAIN IN POST OP KNEE.  IT COULD SIMPLY BE OVER WORK.  WHILE I AM WAITING FOR MY 13TH SURGERY AND REVISION ON KNEE PROSTHESIS IN TWO WEEKS, I WENT WITH A FRIEND I MADE IN REHAB THAT HAD HIS KNEE WHICH WAS VIRTUALLY BLOWN AWAY IN OPERATION DESERT STORM TO THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA, TO SEE HIS DOC TWO MONTS POST OP REVISION AND COMPLETE RECONSTRUCTION.  IN HIS CASE, HE DRIVES A TRUCK.  ALL WAS WELL UNTIL HE WENT BACK TO WORK, AND AFTER HIS FIRST DAY ON THE JOB HIS KNEE LOOKED LIKE YOU DESCRIBE YOUR KNEE, AND HIS PAIN WAS OFF THE CHART.  THE ORTHOPOD TOLD HIM TO STAY OFF WORK ANOTHER SIX WEEKS AND RE START P/T/
THE DOCTOR TOLD HIM THAT OF COURSE THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RECOVERING AT HOME AND JUST USING THE KNEE FOR P/T/ AND IN HOME MOBILITY, AND THE STRAIN OF AN 8 TO 10 HOUR WORK DAY.
HOPEFULLY IT WAS JUST OVERWORK BUT YOU MUST SEE THE DOCTOR OR AT LEAST YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPIST WHO WILL BE BEST TO DECIDE WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW TO DEAL WITH IT.  MAN'S KNEES ARE LIKE A HORSES ANKLE, THEY ARE BASICALLY UNDERDESIGNED TO CARRY THE WEIGHT AND STRAIN WE PUT ON THEM.  BUT SINCE THEY WERE DESIGNED BY THE MAN UPSTAIRS I GUESS NO MATTER HOW STRONG WE MAKE THE PROSTHETIC MATERIALS, AND SCREWS ETC. THEY ARE NOT AS STRONG OR SUITED FOR DAILY ACTIVITY AS WHAT WE WERE BORN WITH.
SEE A PROFESSIONAL A.S.A.P. , PLEASE

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
nmf

I think Fischbein makes some good points that we shouldn't try and self diagnose, but what I (and I think Rknees4) were trying to do was settle down the anxiety. We are NO substitute for medical opinion and yes, I'd agree that next week you should check out the changes with your PT or even your OS if you need to - I just wanted to try and make the weekend a little easier by helping abate the panic. Panic won't help recovery. Hope you're feeling a little more comfortable today.

Fishbein - just a comment too, you make some really good points on many threads but is it possible to turn off your Caps Lock? I find it really hard to take in what you write all in capitals and you have some really good observations on all things knee  - bum eyes as well as bummed knee!  ;)

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
Fischbien,
I would second the turn off the Caps lock it bugs the eyes out.
Everyone who joins this site realizes we are not DRs but some of us have had the same or similar surgeries and know what the baseline probs are.  Commonsense dictates it she has no fever, is not in the kind of pain that takes your breathe away and no additioninal damage has happened like a fall or bash or twist it is just from over use and should be elevated and iced until someone can be seen if that need be. nmf3 is an educated woman and if she was sure it was serious I know she would seek professonal help.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »
I also have to agree about the CAPS LOCK.  Not only very difficult to read but when used for a entire paragraph it is equal to YELLING in written communication. 

nmf - I posted this in another thread also but figured I would copy here too!

Stop freaking out...the likely hood that you COULD loosen or move those screws while moving around in a normal day to day setting is little to NONE.  It would take the force of a fall to cause any damage to them.

IT IS ABSOLUTE NORMAL TO HAVE INCREASED SWELLING AND PAIN WHEN YOU INCREASE YOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL.  You are not elevating as much as you use to and when you do elevate at work you are not elevating properly (ABOVE YOUR HEART).  Gravity is a BITCH!

ICE ICE ICE as much as you can and when you get home from work get that leg up in the air. Ankle pumps will also help move the fluid around.

Now...go have a glass of wine or what ever you do to calm down.  This anxiety is only going to make things worse!  No need to tense your entire body up!

Best of luck,
Karen

Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline nmf3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »
HAHAHA Karen....gravity is a bitch. hahaha I have been saying that for four weeks now! Everytime I get I feel so much pressure! 

Okay today I do feel better guys.  I have been in bed all day with lots of elevation and I am not as swollen.  I do still have that strange pain that I have not had previously but it is definitely not as much as it was the last few days.  Thank you all so much for your reassurance.  I tend to get myself very worked up (obvious via my posts).  I tend to have a high pain tolerance but I just assumed that if my screws came out or became dislodged it would be EXCRUCIATING right?  I mean I would be swollen etc.....right??

Again thank you for the help.  I hope Sunday will be just as restful.  At this point I am planning on going to work on Monday but we do have a minimum day so that is good...plus a three day weekend after that.  I might try to take Thurs. and Fri. so I can have an extended weekend to rest.  Cross your fingers that the previous works out! :)

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:43:04 AM »
Those screws are roughly 2 inches long...they are not going to just come out or get dislodged.  There would be massive trauma.  It's not something to stress about! 
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 03:48:36 AM »
nmf3
So glad to hear that just keep it up tomorrow if you can and by Monday it should be good to go. As you heal you will feel all kinds of weird stuff.  I am with KW it is pretty hard to get loose screws with just careful activities.  If you fell, twisted sharply or got smashed then it might be possible.  The screws are passed from front all the way throught the bane at the back thus there is less of a chance for that to happen. Yes you would be swollen but if they came out you would be able to feel and see them they are about 2.5 inches long you would know.  When do you see OS or PT again?
Try not to worry it really just makes things worse.  If they come loose you will know it with out a doubt.
Take Care,
Try and relax, make sure you elevate and ice big time when you get home from work.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline nmf3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:55:19 AM »
Will do! Ya I remember seeing my screws in the xray and I was like HOLY COW those are long!! I figured it would be a big trauma but I admit sometimes I hop along on one crutch so when I do that and then I got a new pain I was like "OMG I ruined everything"!!!

Thanks guys!!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:23 AM »
Hi nmf3
Use the crutches as perscribed my friend or you will wish you had. Please follow your OS's post op protocol it will help you be as pain free as possible.  their is a reason that you have instructions.
They are long.  I only have 1 and a washer. A slightly different procedure than a fulkerson but similar aspects.  Please just becareful and use the good sense you were born with.
Take Care,
Keep us posted
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline fischbein

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi ya all.
Soooo sorry I had a brain hemorrhage on optic nerve area last year and in 6 wk. coma.  Reason I was using CAPS, is I could not proof read without larger letters on screen.  Next time to keep everyone happy I will; be sure to tell my brain not to hemorrahge.
By the way, even in small case letter there is a great deal of information in orthopedic literature and M.D. journals about aseptic loosening of screws, etc.  Sometines, actually to some John Hopkins articles and one or two toher studies the bone ends up being too weak to support of hold the threads in orthopedic screws.  Doc's sometimes use morticized (spell check please) bone, ground up donor bone packed tightly in an attempt to get a better grip from screws.  Similar to putting wood putty or wood matches in a wooden hole thta has a screw come loose inorder to get a grip when you refasten.  What I was suggesting and gave an anecdotial example about is that overuse on a recovering knee or leg can do a great deal of damage, and even if things get better after a great deal of rest, the problem can come back after use again.  In my case, I was taking 300mg morphine last year before my brain hemorrhage.  After 6 weeks in a coma and four more in step down, not getting out of bed once, when I woke from coma my leg actually felt goo for the first time in years, but that was with almost 10 weeks in bed.  We are designed as humans to walk not to lay there, so even if something feels better after a great deal of rest as it should if there is no infection, that does not necessarily mean that it will be suitable for even moderate use walking around the house or especially going to work.  All I was suggesting was it is always best with these things to check with your surgeon to be sure things are o.k. if pain re starts, and if all i o.k. as per orthopod, just use common sence getting back to life.  Sorry about caps, I did not realize that  caps was similar to "yelling".  You may want tp tell that to most newspaper and magazine editors who would rather have copy transmitted in caps double or triple spaced so they can better read a lot of copy and make needed corrections, aside from vision deficits after brain bleed it was what I got use to in my first life as a Middle East correspondent.  Lue ya all.

Offline JessicaO

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 09:48:48 PM »
Hi NMF3,

I am getting the same surgery you had (TTO) in two weeks. Everyone that writes their experiences with the surgery say their pain was out of this world. Can you please tell me more about your knee and why you needed to get the surgery? I am 24F had surgery (not sure what kind of surgery) on both my knees when I was 13 and 14. Actually had a scope on my Right knee too after those other two surgeries. My knees were dislocating multiple times a day and I would just easily pop it back into place. Now my right knee is very maligned and my left knee is very loose can still pop out very easily if i move the wrong way. Was your knee anything like this?  I know everyone's recovery time is different but it gives me hope so read  a story like yours that says your pain wasn't that bad! I am terrified about the pain i am going to encounter... Can you please just give me any info you can? Also, I hope your knee is feeling better after you went to work. I am planning on taking 6 weeks off before returning to work. Also, if anyone who reads this has anything they can tell me it would help too.
Thanks!
TTO and MPFL Reconstruction - 1/25/11

Offline nmf3

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:30 AM »
Hi jessica,

Check you email!!

Okay guys, so everyday seems to get a little better (or I am tolerating it better that is).  I am still very sore, expectedly but the swelling is not as bad I would say.  I messed up the other day.  I took my meds at 11:30am and again at 3:00 with lunch at 12:00pm.  I did not think to eat at 3:00 because I had just had lunch......BIG MISTAKE! I was immediately nauseated by 3:15 and sick for the rest of the night.  Man oh man that oxycodone makes me sick.  Forget the knee pain....these pain meds are the real problem. 

I got lucky...I have some great colleagues, as I have exhausted all of my sick time my two partner teachers each donated a day to me of their time so that in combination with the three day holiday weekend I could have 5 days total off.  I have been in bed relaxing with very little activity and taking full advantage of the R&R.  This will take me to post op week 5 (tomorrow) then it is hopefully one more week then I am off of these blasted cructches. I don't care if I have to walk like a pirate...just getting of crutches will be like a day at disneyland......well maybe not, but a close second!! :)

support