Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hemi Cap Question.  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Hemi Cap Question.
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
Hey, I posted a question about this in the general questions board, but thought maybe I would get a better response over here. I had a scope to help with arthritis pain, during the scope they found extensive fracturing and delamination of the articular cartilage on the medial femoral condyle. They supposedly fixed it, but I have continued to have pain and catching. I am seeing a new OS on the 11th and want to be informed about all my options before I go. After reading about the hemi cap I think it would be a good choice for me because my defect is only in the medial compartment and because of my age, 33 years old, because it is for younger patients who are trying to delay knee replacement. Do any of you have any info about the hemi cap or have you had one and what type of injury did you have, ect. Also is it covered by most insurance? Would micro fracture be a option for me? I have read lots of horror stories on this forum about microfracture. Thanks!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hemi Cap Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
I am 3 years post op from Hemi cap. At your age 33 I would go the natural route cartilage graphs or micro fractures. The Hemi cap was designed for people around 40 to 55, to young for TKR and to old for natural resurfacing. See a sports Dr, most major cities have plenty of sports ortho's. I am 47 had the hemi cap it was good for about a year. Pain free was able to walk, bike and swim. For almost two years now I have been having one issue after another. In the beginning it was tendon and muscle problems. Now its cartilage just falling apart. I am bone on bone and waiting on a TKR in the next few months. On the good side the Hemi cap has hold up its just everything around it for me. Any question feel free to send message
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk