Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TPF and now fractured femur :(  (Read 916 times)

Offline Erica27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TPF and now fractured femur :(
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
Hi Hi
just thought Id have a bit of a vent and share my story as this site helped me so much first time round and also feel it would be worth advising all those in a similar boat to tread super carefully.  8 months ago I sustained a Tibial Plateau Fracture s4 to my right leg and had a tplate fitted -  I was non weight baring for 8 weeks and then a further 6 weeks before fwb my rom was poor only getting from 10 degrees to 90 before hitting the plateaux but i could walk fine and was recovering well.  Anyways on the 27th december i slipped on some black ice i didnt impact my right leg but it was stretched and bent to the side when i heard a pop - I thought I had just broken through that pesky scar tissue but turns out it was actually a non displaced (thankgod) fracture to the lower portion of my femur, so here I am back in hospital - Ive had a metal plate and an MUA getting full extension and only 100 degrees bent but I cant see much hope for a full bend in the near future.  My point is that due to my original injury my bones have become osteopenial and very weak.  I am so worried about future injuries and about getting my leg back to A1 condition. 
Thanks for letting me share .

Offline jpalen

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: TPF and now fractured femur :(
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »
Ouch Erica27,
Back in the hospital ....ughh.
I'm worried about the future of my bones having been cautioned by my OS that since I have been immobile in an external fixator for 14 weeks I have a possibility of breaking a tibia or femur when the knee is bent in surgery after removal of the fixator. He has seen it happen before and we would both like to avoid it and move on with recovery.
 Your break scares me, but I wish you well and will pray for rapid and strong healing for you.
Jim
TPF October 3, 2010
External Fixator Oct 4, 2010
Remove External Fixator Jan10, 2011
Insurance declines surgery.
Living with 2mm step in the tibial plateau.
Getting by.

Offline Erica27

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: TPF and now fractured femur :(
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
JIM
I wish you good luck for your MUA, Im sure it will go well, just be super careful and take your Calcium Carbonate, I wasnt advised to take any kind of supplement after my first injury nor was I told that Osteopenia is a risk due to inactivity
Im getting so frustrated, all the hard work and physio id done up to my second fall has been undone and now I have to start from scratch
Oh well!
My consultant has put me on Alendronic acid for bone strength - take it once a week - so hopefully this will help, and im waiting for a bone density scan soon.
Good luck and a swift recovery jim :)

support