Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Restless leg syndrome in injured knee  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Restless leg syndrome in injured knee
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
Hi, Happy New Year!  I was just wondering if anybody has had what I can only describe as a type of "restless leg syndrome at night"?  My knee seems to ache, feel stiff and I need to keep moving it to get some kind of relief?  The ache isnt particularly painful, just enough to stop me sleeping and am constantly tossing and turning to get comfortable?  Just wondering if this is the nerve endings being particularly active!ha ha.  Any ideas, imput would be appreciated!
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
Re: Restless leg syndrome in injured knee
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
Hi, I have dislocated patella and I dislocated my right patella at the end of august. Usually I am out of action for couple of weeks at the most but this time I am still unable to bend my knee and the pain when I walk is still so sore.

The thing I have noticed though is when I am lying in bed at night, there feels like a huge weight is on my leg and I have the urge to move about to try and relieve this feeling. It keeps me wakened most of the night and is extremely uncomfortable. There is sometimes it goes numb and then so sore sore when I am finally ableto move out

I thought I was the only person to feel like sensation and I have not done anything about it as I didnt quite know how to explain it

Hope it gets better soon for you

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I keep feeling like my trouser leg is rucked up around the knee and cosntatnyl have to pull it straight.  I asked a physio and she said it was becasue of nerve damage from my operation anf was quite normal.  I've known it go away for a couple of months and then come back.  I feel it on the skin but it makes me want to click the knee to get rid of it.

If it is restless leg how do you treat it?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
hi, many thanks for your imput, i did wonder whether it was the nerve endings or the acl ligament?? My restlesness is me wanting to stretch my leg and move it from side to side and a feeling of stiffness.  I am due to have my athroscopy next week, so may ask whether this is common or not.  it is nice to know that i am not alone :)
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline CindersTKR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
Hi Miss Beams,
I got restless leg syndrome after my total knee replacement last year.  I tried taking a magnesium supplement (which also had calcium and D3).  It worked really well for me.

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
thank you, i will try that :)

Offline gald4540

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:37:45 AM »
I am 4 weeks from a partial knee replacement and have RLS.  My doc called and suggested Melatonin my help.  He says they are just starting to do research and have not come up with a treatment plan.  I am starting Melatonin tonight and will report my findings
Thanks  Well, tried Melatonin and didn't do anything to help.  Doc put me on Ambian and it works.  Lets see how the next few nights go.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:20:34 PM by gald4540 »

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
I've often wodnered if I have it as I feel the need to stretch my legs out quite a lot and start feeling distressed when there is no leg room if I'm in the back of a car or on a busy train for example, or it I have to sit through a homily in a pew with no leg room I figit like I've got ants in the pants.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:01:35 PM »
I have restless leg syndrome and it does keep me from sleeping. I call it having the " wiggles" I feel like I have to constantly move my legs.. I have found that stretching sometimes before bed works. Im on trazadone and it has helped a little. It is very frustrating and irriatating when u go to lay down and u cant sleep because of this. Good luck to ya.
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis