Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Information on MUA and recovery  (Read 910 times)

Offline gingerbeach

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Information on MUA and recovery
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:09 AM »
Hello.  This is my first post.  Original injury was on 11/07/10- Dislocated Patella.  PT 3x week for 4 weeks.  Currently diagnosed with Arthrofibrosis on 12/20/10.  Knee bends a maximum of 45 degrees.  Goal was 123 degrees (according to PT).  Ortho surgeon advises surgery as soon as possilbe. Cancelled trip to Mexico scheduled for 01/09/11 today :(  Likely will have MUA on 01/10/11 (within 2 wks).  Knee has been surprisingly pretty painful.  Haven't been able to drive for 6 weeks.  Doc says PT 5x/wk following procedure for a few weeks.  ?'s about what to expect...read some on here already.  1st knee injury.  38 years old.  Mother to two elementary aged kids.  Wondering how long I may be out of work & unable to drive.  Missed 2 weeks of work due to original injury and waiting on MRI results, etc.  Job is 45 minutes-1 hour each way and transportation has been difficult to and from work and PT.  My mother may come to help.  No real public transportation and husband is unable to assist much with transportation due to opposite work schedules.  Curious how long to anticipate for recovery?  So frustrated and disappointed with this issue...I have worked hard in PT and have been highly motivated to get better.  Trip to Mexico was a major motivational goal as I was to be a bridesmaid in my close friends' wedding.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thank you.  Sincerely, Gingerbeach

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Information on MUA and recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »
Before you consent to having an MUA, you need to read as much as you can here about Arthrofibrosis. As far as I understand it, the MU is the last thing you should be having.

1. Who gave you the Arthro diagnosis?
2. Do they know anything about the treatment of this condition? If it is the same person advocating an MUA, it appears that they do not or are not as up to date as they think they are.

There is a whole raft of information about this condition and its treatment in the Information Hub as well as a specialized Board here which is devoted to this particular problem.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/632

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=9.0

Look for posts by posters like Starpolisher, Janet, Missmyknee, Lenorem amongst others as they have had the problems and researched a lot of literature, etc., for the layman to read and learn from.

Luckily I have never had this problem but I have had MUAs. When appropriate they are no big deal and require no special preparation or rehab. They simply knock you out and force the joint to bend further than currently possible. It is used to break up adherences (scar tissue). As you are out cold there is no muscle resistance and the doctors can examine if there are any other factors inhibiting the joint movement. It is initially quite "violent" and therefore exactly contrary to all the accepted treatment of arthrofibrosis.

Good luck - in this game knowledge is everything, so try to gain as much as you can.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee