Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee / Leg wont straighten.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Maxamey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee / Leg wont straighten.
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
hey, this is my first post. ive recently come across a patch of bad luck. i play basketball 4/5 days a week competitively and i know knees are such a weak point for impact sports like basketball.. however the other day i had literally just walked off court. i took a sidestep and my knee popped outta place and then back in.. at this point my knee instantly wouldnt move. it felt as if my leg extended too far and then things may of been juggled out of place. however the next day i woke up after elevating my knee all night and i couldnt move it out of a 70 degree angle. over the next few days the knee loosened up and now i feel as if i have hit a wall.. my leg is literally not allowing me to straighten. my left leg looks as if im about to squat, it feels as if the muscle on the outside of my leg that runs from the hamstring to the calf is very tight. obviously its Xmas / bankholiday weekend and this happened nearly 2 weeks ago.. so i cant go to the doctors til wednesday.

i have no medical or knee knowledge so im just curious if this has happened to anybody here and what the best thing to do is with regards to straightening it.

thankyou :)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 433
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee / Leg wont straighten.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
Locking like this is a fairly common symptom of a meniscus tear along with pain and swelling, usually caused by a twisting movement (if you are young rather than have a degenerate meniscus as can occur as get older)

Have a read of this  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1817

I tore my lateral meniscus (outside of the knee) falling off a bike and couldn't straighten my leg for 5 months despite lots of physio and had it trimmed surgically.  I also had grinding and buckling as it caught in the joint!

Could be other things too, so best go to the GP asap (I assume you are in the UK) and they should refer you to a musculo-skeletal clinic who will decide whether  to send you for physio or to an orthopaedic surgeon (on the NHS, maybe you have private HC).  Quite often an MRI is needed to diagnose a tear (although these aren't foolproof).  Given you play sport competitively, do you also have access to a physio through the club or something?  Might speed up the snail's pace of the NHS!

Meniscus tears sometimes heal themselves but depends where it is and how big.  If continue to bother, often keyhole surgery is needed to trim or repair

Good luck getting sorted!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:46:35 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone