Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patella Tendon, Re-rupture possibilities?????  (Read 2877 times)

Offline want2ski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured Patella Tendon, Re-rupture possibilities?????
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post.  I fully ruptured my left knee, lower patella tendon 9 months ago coming off a jump on a giant slalom ski course.  I have been a competitive skier for years, now 49.  The tendon gave out on the landing, I was in full control but the absorption was too much.  The tendon was likely compromised from years of running and painful tendonitis in that patella tendon.  I had a very positive rehab through PT 2 - 3 times a week eventually reaching 150 degrees of knee bend.  Have been moderately agressive in trying to get back into skiing condition (core training, lifting, stretching) but do not wish to re-rupture the tendon.  I would love to hear from any athletes who have resumed DYNAMIC physical activity post patella tendon surgery.  How far out did you go before resuming a sport?  Any setbacks?  Any advice?
THANK YOU!!!

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Patella Tendon, Re-rupture possibilities?????
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
Hello my name is Ross
I have been a competative squash player for 30 years I am 52 right now and am 5 weeks post op , I was in so much pain when I had a total rupture of my Pettela tendon in my left leg, I too would love to hear from people that have returned to their sports,
I on the other hand will sell my squash racquet and use my shoes for mowing the lawn and give the balls to the dog.
I am so afraid of re- rupturing my leg, while I won't stop doing something I will give up what I love , The time has come ! now that me ,
All I know is skiing is very hard on the knees , take care and keep in touch you have my email .

Cheers Rossco12