Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any information about an osteotomy please  (Read 3027 times)

Offline caroline889

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
any information about an osteotomy please
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »
I'm 38 and suffered a lifetime of dislocations which was finally corrected 2 years ago by mpfl reconstructions. However, as a result of the dislocations, i now have grade 4 arthritis on the outside of my knees. I need partial knee replacements but because of my age, an osteotomy has been suggested in order to try and make my knees last a bit longer . Has anyone had one and what is it like? Ive already had microfractures which didn't work and and have just had synovial injections ( last week) which I am hoping will work.

thanks
caroline
Dislocations since 1986
Lateral Release RK June 2008
Diagnosed trochlea dysplasia RK & LK 2008
MPFL Recon. &  microfractures LK & RK April  2009
Diagnosed grade 4 arthritis RK & LK 2009
Scopes  & microfractures RK & LK Nov  2011
Fulk'n osteotomy, mpfl recon& trochleoplasty RK March 2012 LK Feb 2013

drmark

Re: any information about an osteotomy please
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »
Osteotomies work very well, but what is the appropriate osteotomy for you.  You might visit posts by my favorite patient/studend Crankerchick, or look on my website which you will have to find on your own because I am not an advertizer on this site.  Lots of good information there.
Good luck,
Mark Sanders MD FACS

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
Hi
This article may help you with your researches http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/559
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline carlajp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
Hi Caroline,

I had a high tibial osteotomy at the end of January 2010 (aged 37!) following many years of pain and complications. The original injury was a partial tear to the  ACL back in 1997, which following tidy up and lots of physio made suffiicient recovery. However, back in Feb 2007, the ACL went again (on landing from a jump in dance class whilst teaching my students).The resultant damage from this and the earlier injury led to arthritis in the medial side of the joint. It took three years to finally find the surgeon who knew exactly what to do to help me, but I am so thankful I did.

I had closing wedge surgery so left hospital with no cast or brace, just a bandage to cover the wounds and crutches for 6 weeks. I was back at work teaching dance although very limited at first after 12 weeks and nearly a year on am doing really well. The original pain I suffered constantly has basically gone ( I probably could detect it if I really tried, but it would be quite an effort!) I do have some rather strange sensations andoccasional discomfort at the site of my plate and scars but nothing I can't easily cope with.

I hope you can get all the help and information you need on this site, so many people offered me help, advice and support. What you do need to do is find out which kind of osteotomy you will be having so you can properly prepare for the rehab as they can vary enormously. I wish you well
Carla

Offline caroline889

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the repy Carla.  It is nice to hear a positive response.

Best wishes

Caroline
Dislocations since 1986
Lateral Release RK June 2008
Diagnosed trochlea dysplasia RK & LK 2008
MPFL Recon. &  microfractures LK & RK April  2009
Diagnosed grade 4 arthritis RK & LK 2009
Scopes  & microfractures RK & LK Nov  2011
Fulk'n osteotomy, mpfl recon& trochleoplasty RK March 2012 LK Feb 2013

Offline acheek71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
Dr Mark is correct, it is first necessary to find the right one for you.  Doc did an excellent job on mine, I just wish I had gone to him first.  Make sure you find the right doctor for you, and do your research.  I made the mistake of listening to the wrong people in the beginning, but I have now found a keeper!

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
I had an open-wedge distal femoral osteotomy (they cut the bone above the end of the femur, at the knee, open up a wedge, and graft bone in to lengthen one side) to correct defects in my lateral tibial platueau and femoral condyle. I was on bed rest due to complications for a couple months, but on the whole, it wasn't bad. I am almost a year post op and feel pretty good :-)
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

support