Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lingering soreness & fragility - 6 months after meniscal repair  (Read 2402 times)

Offline dyfanevans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lingering soreness & fragility - 6 months after meniscal repair
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
Hi,

I need some information/help regarding rehabilitation following a medial mensicus repair. I'll give you some info regarding my position:

Prior to August 2009 l was a 26 year old keen, competitive cyclist participating in Cat 4 and 3 races, criteriums and the occasional XC mountainbike event. I had been riding and racing seriously for around two years, and was training around 150-200 miles a week.

In August l was riding home from work when l felt a sustained pain below my right kneecap. I visited a knee surgeon who diagnosed a medial plica, which he excised as well as repairing a small tear in the medial meniscus (which was asymptomatic). Cue 6 months of difficult rehab and the gradual loss of fitness and strength. I am swimming regularly but nowhere near enough to counter the effects of being off the bike.

Unfortunately this was not the end of it, as come May 2010, l felt a sharp pain on the medial side of my left knee. There did not seem to be any particular cause - the pain came on gradually over a few days. Another MRI showed a longitudinal tear of the posterior horn. This was repaired in early July, and l am slowly managing to do some slow, steady miles on the bike, and some specific gym work to increase the strength in both legs.

I have suffered a few painful setbacks with both knees - nothing permanent but I'm pretty sure that 17 months out because of meniscus repair is not a regular occurrence. My most recent repair still gets very sore for the best part of a week following anything more strenuous than a gentle ride, and l have had to rein my gym work in to avoid the pain. I also have to avoid walking very far as this seems to set my knee 'off'.

My question is - is it normal for soreness like this to linger 6 months after the operation? The pain is not sharp in any real sense, but the soreness really limits my activity.

Does anyone have any advice for people trying to get over such surgery, and whether there is anything l can do to prevent further damage to the meniscus in future? My surgeon suggested that the tears should not have been caused by riding, but possibly be my knees which l have always been able to hyperextend.

Also, l have found it difficult to envision the end of all this - is it possible for someone to come back after such a long time off, and still ride at the same level, without pain? Any advice or pointers you have would be greatly appreciated.

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
Re: Lingering soreness & fragility - 6 months after meniscal repair
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »
FWIW It took me more than a year to be able to even walk normally after a partial rt knee menisectomy. I'm fighting my way through injury #3 currently.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline dyfanevans

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Lingering soreness & fragility - 6 months after meniscal repair
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »
Does anyone else have any experience or information? Sorry to ask but l need some help.