Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post surgical LR doubts  (Read 901 times)

Offline emmabee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post surgical LR doubts
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
First! and hopefully last post here :)

Had my first arthroscopic LR for maltracking and muscle imbalance back in April 2010 after 3 years of problems, but from very early on after the surgery I knew that it hadn't been the perfect cure. I have since been discharged from my physios and my OS, both of them claiming to have fixed my knee. But ten months down the track I still experience intense/dull and aching pain as well as the need to 'crack' my operated knee until it pops. I can't do any of the surgical 'markers' such as running, squatting, using stairs well or even walking for extended periods of time.

I am only 17 and am exhausted of pain, but am also reluctant to follow up with either because I know that they will tell me to strengthen my quads and that's all. I always feel so reassured after speaking to my OS, but I know that I'm still not fixed.  Is it worth having another follow up with either the OS or the physios, switching to a new physio entirely or having additional MRIs or CAT scans? At the moment I have given up on fixing my knees because I am sick and tired of them. Please help :)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Post surgical LR doubts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »
Emma,

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this disappointment. Have you read much on the Patella board here? It is full of people who are having the same sort of problems you are describing. Unfortunately, most of those who have had a LR only have had the same sort of experience you describe. And I can't tell you how many of us have gone to our OS and heard the "strengthen your quads" line again and again. If I were in your situation, I wouldn't try to get any more results from your current OS. He obviously doesn't have a good understanding of patella problems, or at least doesn't understand YOUR patella problem. You need to see an OS who does know how to work with patella problems. You need someone who can figure out the real reason for what you are experiencing. Yes, strong quads are an important thing to have, but many of us have found that either (1) we can't strengthen our quads adequately until our initial problem is solved or (2) strengthening the quads doesn't solve the problem.

Read some on the patella board and you might also want to give us a general idea of your geographic area. Someone might know an OS that is nearby whom you could consult for a second opinion.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post surgical LR doubts
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
Hey there,

I'm also really sorry to hear you're still having problems.  I agree with everything Smillie says ^^  I would recommend seeing another OS, LR's are a contentious issue and are often only done now in conjunction with other surgery-not as a one stop shop solution.  Don't give up on your knees at 17 please..there'll be a solution..it just needs to be found by someone with expertise. 

What I would say however is keep at your exercises..I'm 10 months post op and still having problems because my muscles are so weak.  They take a long time to recover and whatever the root of your problem is, strong supporting muscles will make a huge difference-make sure you're not just doing your quads..hamstrings,glutes,calves too (I'm sure you know that already though)! 

Good luck, Annie  :)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!