Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had a bad fall, what have I done!!??!??  (Read 933 times)

Offline Thaiboxing

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Had a bad fall, what have I done!!??!??
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
Okay so I am 14 weeks post full ACL replacement with hamstring graft, cartliage clean up and medial meniscus tear (which they think was more degenerative due to my job as a Muay Thai Instructor/fighter.

I was back running 10 mins a day 4 days a week 6 weeks post op which was going fine till two weeks ago I had increasing pain while running in my knee (surgeon suggested I was over doing it and prescribed anti's and rest as it was probably an agitated meniscus) that has now settled down and im back to running.

But today (christmas day) I was walking down steps on a gravel path and my good leg slipped out straight in front of me while my bad leg collapsed and I had total flexion that I had not reached so far from stretching and exercise. There was some pain but not sharp pain and settled after an hour but there us some swelling. I can still fully extend my leg and have the same range of motion as before although movement comes with stiffness and some pain.

Is it likely that I have done anything major to the ACL or surrounding tissues as i'm quite worried.

I would greatly appreciate any advise as I have read that this forum is the best for help.

Thanks.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Had a bad fall, what have I done!!??!??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:04:47 AM »
Ack...happy Christmas. :(

The trouble is that there's no way anyone on an Internet forum can tell you what you might have done. We can offer suggestions based on your description of the fall, pain and symptoms - you may have damaged the graft, retorn the meniscus, or just broken up some scar tissue - but none of us could say for sure. A straight fall without twisting probably wouldn't hurt the graft, but damage to another structure in the knee is a possibility.

I would get to a doctor asap for a full evaluation. If your OS can't see you, go to your family doctor or the ER. Swelling and pain is a sign that something isn't right, so you need to get it checked out as soon as you can.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support