Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyalgan  (Read 11665 times)

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Hyalgan
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 07:33:19 AM »
I completed my synvisc injections August 25th and I'm still waiting for results.  My oa is pretty advanced.  I'm still waiting to hear if I'm a candidate for a new oa brace that's out too.   Doesn't seem to be much  help for those of us who they say "You're too young".  That's when you want to be active but can't because your knees hurt.  It's getting pretty discouraging.   ???

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
  • Does it ever get better
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 02:57:36 PM »
Thankyou all for your responsed i am very discouraged at this point hope these injections work for me...after 3 surgeries on my knee and the Arthritis is so bad they cant do the Cartilage regrowth that they where going too...they told me there is not enough cartilage to work with anymore.....now i get to look forward the the left knee being done if the Hyalgan works on the right knee
sorry im venting just discouraging i havent been to work in over a year because in constant pain....Just hope this works
Wendy
Torn Medial Meniscus & LR 3/3/03, Maquet Procedure 6/11/03, Arthroscopy, medial meniscectomy, revision of Tubercle osteotomy R knee 4/20/04,12/14/04 removal of hardware, 11/03/2006 torn meniscus left knee

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 04:11:48 PM »
I get the "too young" also. I am 29 with a 22 month old.
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 05:21:56 PM »
Hey, Wendy!
Don't worry about venting.  This is the place to do it.  It's really nice to have someplace to go where you can say whatever you are feeling without feeling guilty. :)
Nancy.

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 06:31:49 PM »
Thankyou Nancy, and i also get the your too young for this im 37....
Torn Medial Meniscus & LR 3/3/03, Maquet Procedure 6/11/03, Arthroscopy, medial meniscectomy, revision of Tubercle osteotomy R knee 4/20/04,12/14/04 removal of hardware, 11/03/2006 torn meniscus left knee

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 06:15:57 AM »
Hi Nancy,

I got measured for my knee brace.  The guy who measured me at the os office said it's actually been around for years it's just been improved so it's more comfortable.  He showed me what the brace looks like and it's big and clumsy looking.  Not sure what I'll think about wearing one.  I get it in two weeks.  I still haven't decided if the synvisc worked.  My knee seems to go a few days really good then it's pain as usual.  Before the shot I hardly ever had any pain free days.  Now my other knee has been giving way (buckling) more and that is really worrying me.  I hope I don't have to have that scoped next.

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »
Well had my second injection still feel no difference in my knee how long does it take if your going to feel a difference ??? My left knee the doc told me 6 weeks after last injection he will start looking into that knee....i feel like i cant win been out of work for over year already and still in pain cant do anything....
wendy

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hope we all can have a race one day...
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »
Hi, Wendy,

I was on this Forum last winter, asking similar questions...
Don't despair, I had 3 injections last Feb-Mar, and about a couple of weeks after last injection I started feeling some relief from pain, which continued to improve, and lasted about 4 mos. I had days when I forgot I had any problem with my knee. This was against all odds: advanced medial OS - bone on bone, with constant pain while walking.  However the honeymoon did not last even 6 mos...  Slowly but surely, within the 5th mos the pain came back  in full force. I had 3 more shots  (Synvisc) finalized about 4 weeks ago. It's much better than it was before the injections, but not as good as the first time. On top of that I had 2 bad reactions (first time just one, and not as severe), and I am still puzzled while this happens. My knee was very swollen with a hard bulge above the knee. I barely could walk for four days.
My last injection, however was almost totally trouble free (just like 2 out of 3 the first time) - just a bit of swelling, tightness, etc, which lasted a couple of days, but did not interfere much with my activities. Is it possible that the site of injection makes a difference, with some of this stuff getting into the tissue surrounding the cavity? In a way it does not make sense; if a long needle can go a fair distance without any "obstacles" on the way, it must be within the cavity. I know that 2 out of 3 shots, which resulted in a lot of swelling, the Os hit the bone, which caused a shooting short lived pain, but an other time it was a clean shot... I am still searching for answers...

I don't know if this "oil change" every 4-5 mos can go on forever, or I should expect less effect with time. It would make some sense as the knee is perhaps deteriorating further, however Synvisc should prevent it...

So, be a bit patient and have hope! The alternatives are not very charming..

Krys ;)

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2004, 02:05:17 AM »
Hi Krys
thankyou for letting me know how it is working for you....hope it does do same for me ??? just totally discouraged with everything...no carilage left and a spot inside about the size of quarter they were going to try and regrow the cartilage to cover spot but not enough to work with and its to big to try and fix....gotta love these bad knee's....i will keep you posted and please do the same for me.
thanks again
Wendy

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2004, 02:42:41 AM »
Let me know about the regrowing cartilage. I am going to ask my doc about it when I go for the scope.

Jenn
29 mom of Abbie, 22 months
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 05:19:05 AM »
Hi again, Jenn,

Just my 2 cents. The cartilage re-growth is called Carticel. There must be a thread here somewhere. It's apparently most suitable for younger people like yourself. I'm too far gone in age and knee condition. It's worth checking into it. My OS showed me a picture of a gal about 37, who got back to athletic life after about one year of tratment, having barely been able to walk before.

Good luck,

Krys

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 02:45:36 PM »
Thanks!

It's put a real strain on my marriage. Sean is turning 40 when I turn 30, and all he does is make fun that he can move better than me etc... My friends always want to go out and go shopping, I have to be wheeled.

Jenn :(
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
Current diagnosis:
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 07:10:36 PM »
Jenn,
The glass is either half empty or half full... I think you are very lucky to have someone to wheel you, and a little kid to cheer you up! Your condition is not going to last forever. Some others might have to struggle with this whole thing on their own, and the kids in college don't seem to give a diddly hoot, at this point in their life, about their mothers struggle.  Not that they do not love her, they are not "into it"... So cheer up !!!
Krys

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 07:12:18 PM »
Also with Carticel the procedure take about a year to finish and first 4 month you would be on crutches with no weight bearing on the leg...so it is a lot to conisider

Offline ALyn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2005, 02:39:22 AM »
Jenn,

How is your knee now - since the allergic reaction to the shot?  Did the doctor do or suggest any type of treatment specifically for the allergic reaction? 

My rhumatologist wants to give me Synvisc, but I am skeptical like many other people, especially after reading so much negative feedback   :-\

support